Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

Cydonia [/idgames]

Scotty and AD emulating the Casali brothers? I expect to die, repeatedly. And I look forward to it.

Quietly grumbling about the fact that map17 is the only map in the main set that doesn't have a 1 word title. 

Those screenshots are instantly recognizable as Plutonia-esque. Gotta love it, can't wait.

Does it include references to the mysterious Cydonia region on Mars (ancient Martians and so on), or did you just chose the name because it sounds cool and rhimes with Plutonia?

On 5/15/2021 at 12:02 AM, Bridgeburner56 said:

Imma riot if there isn't a midi cover of Knights of Cydonia in here

I really hope this wad hasn’t disappeared into a supermassive black hole…

cough*happy birthday Final Doom*cough

3 minutes ago, cannonball said:

I think it should be released soon, *cough*

14 minutes ago, cannonball said:

cmon now, it's not June 17th yet in planet X432-4953 in the galaxy of Obgieagogjeaigjag.

OP updated.

Unfortunately i simply have not had time to finish map32 so that will be added at a later date. So you'll just have to make do with a meagre 21 maps for now :D But hopefully this gives a few hours of entertainment to celebrate on the 25th anniversary of Final Doom.

Huge thanks to GarrettChan, Jimmy, Alfonzo and Afterglow for playtesting this!

UV pistol starts with saves

Port: DSDA-Doom v0.19.3 -complevel 4

Total IGT: 3:05:07 (without Map32)

Personal Difficulty Evaluation: 1.0 (1 = Plutonia)

Personal Rating: 9.3 (out of 10)

What, it's Plutonia, so I'm so friggin' biased and have to rate it at least 9. Thanks Scotty letting me to test the maps and I had quite a lot fun playing them for sure. It is indeed a nice way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Final Doom

It's a short mapset with lots of Plutonian design, aka harsh traps, in it. All the maps are short and compact, so if you're looking for a mapset with small but action packed maps, this is for you.

BTW, this Map01 is too good because it gives me PTSD due to me trying 5000+ attempts for Plutonia Map01 Max run and it's too similar to it :P

@NightTerrorMap31 is your map :P

Edited by GarrettChan

I've played the first 9 maps so far and they are VERY good. This is just great some fights have really great pressure (Like the end of map09, great fight) and even though the maps are really short some are very challenging (map05 and map07 come to mind), the secrets are really good/well hidden.

Spoiler

I don't know if sequence breaks are intended on this wad but I found one in map09 where you can sr50 to the yellow skull from the super shotgun platform.

@Blip

Spoiler

Yes. Scotty intentionally left sequence breaks in it for more interesting routing in speedrun. If you looked close, there are quite a lot of glides as well, so have some fun finding these out. Definitely it will be an extra experience.

Edited by GarrettChan : I missed a word in the sentence... Hopefully it won't cause any trouble.

Currently playing this on UV with PrBoom-plus, great stuff. Loving the Plutonia homages, and the high difficulty ceiling (which is expected in this kind of wads).

Noticed a missing texture on map 13 here :

cydoni10.png

Very nicely made wad! Congratulations Scotty and AD_79!

However I have some things to point out:

Firstly, on Map 18 this pit in the photo becomes a death trap after you raise the platform on the right. Secondly the Archviles in the cages don't wake up when you fire in that room.

2128810691_Bug1.png.a4f351285fe3387dcc17c4a438003bc3.png

Thirdly: I couldn't find how to access Map 33, so I just warped to it and played through to see what the map was and I'm guessing that's supposed to be Map 32 but as you said it's not finished yet.

Anyway that's the only things I've found playing through all the levels. Thanks for a good wad :)

Edited by Bob9001

This wad is awesome.
It could hold its own when compared to other classic-style Plutonia megawads such as Plutonia 2 or PRCP.

Do you guys have any plans to add in more maps ?

16 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Very nicely made wad! Congratulations Scotty and AD_79!

However I have some things to point out:

Firstly, on Map 18 this pit in the photo becomes a death trap after you raise the platform on the right. Secondly the Archviles in the cages don't wake up when you fire in that room.

Spoiler

2128810691_Bug1.png.a4f351285fe3387dcc17c4a438003bc3.png

Thirdly: I couldn't find how to access Map 33, so I just warped to it and played through to see what the map was and I'm guessing that's supposed to be Map 32 but as you said it's not finished yet.

Anyway that's the only things I've found playing through all the levels. Thanks for a good wad :)

Map18 - yeah there are some random pits scattered through the wad that are just death, i figure that is pretty on brand so just left them in. I am also aware of an issue with the viles in this room, i think that this is nodebuilder related.

Map33 is just a random speedmap i left in for the hell of it, not "official" or whatever. Grats on being the first to notice it though :P

7 hours ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

This wad is awesome.
It could hold its own when compared to other classic-style Plutonia megawads such as Plutonia 2 or PRCP.

Do you guys have any plans to add in more maps ?

Thanks, that means a lot :)  I do have some half built maps lying around for this outside of map32 so there is a chance i guess? However our original plan was just for 20+2 maps, and i think we are both more focused on new projects for the time being (some of these maps are 4-5 years old now). So maybe one day...

Edited by Scotty

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Map18 - yeah there are some random pits scattered through the wad that are just death, i figure that is pretty on brand so just left them in. I am also aware of an issue with the viles in this room, i think that this is nodebuilder related.

Map33 is just a random speedmap i left in for the hell of it, not "official" or whatever. Grats on being the first to notice it though :P

Ah cool so it's part of design gotcha!

Well it would be good if there was a way to access map 33?

This is a fantastic set of levels! It really nails the plutonia design philosophy. Some high intensity fights in a concise package. There's something to be said for sets where each map is short, but has a strong individual identity. After playing lots of longer adventure maps or epic slaughtermaps, it's nice to have something that can be played through in more relaxed short bursts.

MAP19 stood out to me as being really great, but I didn't find the plasma rifle for quite a long time. In fact, I only found it by accident when I walked into the pit. After being trained to avoid falling into pits, it always trips me up when the more nondescript ones contain key resources. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind. MAP31 is another map that was a lot of fun to figure out. A lot of trial and error through accidental softlocks, but it's really rewarding when the pieces fall into place. Great stuff throughout, looking forward to MAP32.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Thanks, that means a lot :)  I do have some half built maps lying around for this outside of map32 so there is a chance i guess? However our original plan was just for 20+2 maps, and i think we are both more focused on new projects for the time being (some of these maps are 4-5 years old now). So maybe one day...

I seriously hope you’ll make a great full megawad! There is only 10 maps left (5 maps for each mapper). Even if you have a project in your side, I think it’s very doable to have a new full classic-style Plutonia megawad, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person which think the same thing :)