Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MemeMind

Doom Iceberg

The placement of Resurgence on Linguica's charrt is silly. No way is it more extreme than Toilet of the Gods, I actually find it more approachable than HR2.

Here's one I whipped up, I do not pretend it is complete or that the tier organization is very good.

Spoiler

iceberg_v1.png.732b78611cb28a9fe9b0239bc28458d0.png

On 9/13/2021 at 7:44 PM, TuomasGaming said:

I feel like just putting WAD names in the iceberg is a bit lazy.

Here's one I made while I was bored. I kinda ran out of ideas at the end.

6345380F-4BFF-4C42-B40D-48335DF73081.png

what the fuck? Doom Builder Android? Nobody Told Me About Id.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, Quasar said:

Here's one I whipped up, I do not pretend it is complete or that the tier organization is very good.

Hide contents

iceberg_v1.png.732b78611cb28a9fe9b0239bc28458d0.png

Oh man, I feel I need a lot of context on this. I also feel Bill Gates in Doom should be like a tier higher.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:42 PM, ZeMystic said:

Oh man, I feel I need a lot of context on this. I also feel Bill Gates in Doom should be like a tier higher.

Brief rundown:

• Doom comic: awful joke of a thing from a game convention in the 90's; once called shitty by Ty Halderman. Everyone hated anything to do with it til Hugo made it the basis for Doom Eternal's entire "universe".
  • Masters of Doom: Book written in the early 2k's by ex-tech-journalist David Kushner based on interviews with the id guys; mainly tells the story from perspectives of Carmack and Romero. Lotta juicy shit in there.
  • Doom Bible: Doom's original design document, by Tom Hall. Paints an entirely different picture of a game. Got Tom fired basically.
  • Beta lost souls: They were different in the press release; looked like silver and flashed like electronics; killed you with telekinesis.
  • Doom alphas and betas: Well known but still kind of weird; it's not clear how they got outside of id Software in some cases.
  • The Lost Episodes of Doom: Relatively well-known combo of a book and a PWAD. However bit of a conspiracy theory might suggest that it was done with id's silent blessing as they also dealt with the same publisher to produce the official strategy book for the game. Have not been able to confirm this.
  • Sandy Petersen's House: Self-explanatory really. He put his own house and his dad's house into MAP16 according to a tweet.
  • The Romero Dumps: Self-explanatory - all that stuff he released a while back. Will never happen again thanks to ZeniMax's sled-dog-team of lawyers.
  • Doom 1.21 - weird shareware build of Doom found by fraggle; was built by id specifically to be included with a book.
  • American McGee's console Doom - Took years for us to figure out who made the console levels because nobody ever took the time to check the instruction manual :)
  • extramap.wad - weird extra level included in Burger Becky's dump of the 3DO assets - seems to possibly be some kind of sketchy idea by either American McGee or Shawn Green but trying to verify this has led nowhere so far.
  • Lost souls changed in 1.666 - they used to look different; Adrian Carmack changed their face for Doom II.
  • Doom alpha 0.3 - Long rumored/basically known to exist but was not available on the archive. Turned out one anonymous guy had a copy of it for decades.
  • To kill the cyberdemon... shoot it until it dies. Famous meme created by Linguica and passed off so well that it became an example of false history for years and was frequently cited as an actual real GamePro snippet. Now appropriated by id and Hugo as yet another instance of "haha look we can do meme"
  • Game Boy Advance DM levels - a series of exclusive MP maps included only with the Game Boy Advance version of Doom. Author is totally unknown.
  • "The Snake" - Shadowy evil figure who committed many backstabbings within id Software and turned its entire work culture into a miasma of toxicity. Identity is completely known but is still treated as anonymous by Sandy Petersen anyways because it sounds cool and avoids defamation lawsuits.
  • The Blob - Unused enemy concept known only from a leak; Romero explained it was an idea to have lost souls launch out of walls, but it would have required a decal implementation the game never got in order to look right. Its graphic got turned into the pain elemental's mouth.
  • Early Doom 64 build - The Mortal Kombat home consoles source leak is a dump of a Midway development box, and happens to include in one folder an incomplete ROM (code segment only, no data segment at all) of what seems to be an almost direct port of PlayStation Doom to the N64. It can't be run due to not having a data segment (including no IWAD).
  • Skipping all the DM 95/Judgment Day stuff; you can read about it on the wiki. Other than to say there are interesting tidbits such as David McCandless inviting himself by adding an extra slot to the UK tournament winners; a complete lack of info about the French leg of the tournament that was supposed to have existed; no complete list exists of the participants either.
  • GPL relicensing - id kinda forgot to ever make it really official and still posts their own copies of the code with the shitty DSL.
  • Doom: Absolution - Canceled sequel to Doom 64
  • Doom 2000 - game everybody thought would exist in 2000 because of an off-hand remark from John Carmack. Just when everybody had given up, John Carmack then announced Doom 3.
  • Ball shit snakes - mysterous weird shitpost from Doomworld history seemingly from someone with a poor mastery of English.
  • Canceled version of Doom movie - well before anybody thought about Karl Urban or the Rock another version of the Doom movie had a significant amount of VFX and modeling work put into it and would have been much closer to the game. It went into Hollywood's version of development hell and got canceled. It was in progress as early as 1995.
  • Swing shots - ancient multiplayer superstition that swinging your viewangle while pulling the trigger makes the SSG deal more damage.
  • Side-stepping lost souls - ancient rumor of which certain people were absolutely, religiously convinced that an older version of Doom contained AI which would allow lost souls to turn and dodge missiles by performing their dashing attack at a 90 degree angle from the oncoming missile. No such code's ever been found when reverse engineering. Mandela effect?
  • The shotgun in MAP21 - for decades people claimed the SSG at the start of MAP21: Nirvana was a reference to Kurt Cobain's suicide. Recently debunked by Sandy Petersen, albeit in the midst of a series of posts that seem to indicate he might have early-onset dementia so really, who can know for sure now?
  • Who drugged American McGee? - The first time Trent Reznor met up with the id guys they went out for a wild night on the town. During the fun somebody slipped something nasty into American's drink and he got sick. Nobody knows who did it.
  • Doomguy almost had an afro - No comment...
  • Lost alpha/beta maps - Contained in the same leak/dump that had the Blob enemy. Old versions of known maps that haven't been released, plus some other maps that have never been otherwise seen at all, indicating there are yet unplumbed depths of the id Software internal dev archives.

53 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Brief rundown:

• Doom comic: awful joke of a thing from a game convention in the 90's; once called shitty by Ty Halderman. Everyone hated anything to do with it til Hugo made it the basis for Doom Eternal's entire "universe".
  • Masters of Doom: Book written in the early 2k's by ex-tech-journalist David Kushner based on interviews with the id guys; mainly tells the story from perspectives of Carmack and Romero. Lotta juicy shit in there.
  • Doom Bible: Doom's original design document, by Tom Hall. Paints an entirely different picture of a game. Got Tom fired basically.
  • Beta lost souls: They were different in the press release; looked like silver and flashed like electronics; killed you with telekinesis.
  • Doom alphas and betas: Well known but still kind of weird; it's not clear how they got outside of id Software in some cases.
  • The Lost Episodes of Doom: Relatively well-known combo of a book and a PWAD. However bit of a conspiracy theory might suggest that it was done with id's silent blessing as they also dealt with the same publisher to produce the official strategy book for the game. Have not been able to confirm this.
  • Sandy Petersen's House: Self-explanatory really. He put his own house and his dad's house into MAP16 according to a tweet.
  • The Romero Dumps: Self-explanatory - all that stuff he released a while back. Will never happen again thanks to ZeniMax's sled-dog-team of lawyers.
  • Doom 1.21 - weird shareware build of Doom found by fraggle; was built by id specifically to be included with a book.
  • American McGee's console Doom - Took years for us to figure out who made the console levels because nobody ever took the time to check the instruction manual :)
  • extramap.wad - weird extra level included in Burger Becky's dump of the 3DO assets - seems to possibly be some kind of sketchy idea by either American McGee or Shawn Green but trying to verify this has led nowhere so far.
  • Lost souls changed in 1.666 - they used to look different; Adrian Carmack changed their face for Doom II.
  • Doom alpha 0.3 - Long rumored/basically known to exist but was not available on the archive. Turned out one anonymous guy had a copy of it for decades.
  • To kill the cyberdemon... shoot it until it dies. Famous meme created by Linguica and passed off so well that it became an example of false history for years and was frequently cited as an actual real GamePro snippet. Now appropriated by id and Hugo as yet another instance of "haha look we can do meme"
  • Game Boy Advance DM levels - a series of exclusive MP maps included only with the Game Boy Advance version of Doom. Author is totally unknown.
  • "The Snake" - Shadowy evil figure who committed many backstabbings within id Software and turned its entire work culture into a miasma of toxicity. Identity is completely known but is still treated as anonymous by Sandy Petersen anyways because it sounds cool and avoids defamation lawsuits.
  • The Blob - Unused enemy concept known only from a leak; Romero explained it was an idea to have lost souls launch out of walls, but it would have required a decal implementation the game never got in order to look right. Its graphic got turned into the pain elemental's mouth.
  • Early Doom 64 build - The Mortal Kombat home consoles source leak is a dump of a Midway development box, and happens to include in one folder an incomplete ROM (code segment only, no data segment at all) of what seems to be an almost direct port of PlayStation Doom to the N64. It can't be run due to not having a data segment (including no IWAD).
  • Skipping all the DM 95/Judgment Day stuff; you can read about it on the wiki. Other than to say there are interesting tidbits such as David McCandless inviting himself by adding an extra slot to the UK tournament winners; a complete lack of info about the French leg of the tournament that was supposed to have existed; no complete list exists of the participants either.
  • GPL relicensing - id kinda forgot to ever make it really official and still posts their own copies of the code with the shitty DSL.
  • Doom: Absolution - Canceled sequel to Doom 64 
  • Doom 2000 - game everybody thought would exist in 2000 because of an off-hand remark from John Carmack. Just when everybody had given up, John Carmack then announced Doom 3.
  • Ball shit snakes - mysterous weird shitpost from Doomworld history seemingly from someone with a poor mastery of English.
  • Canceled version of Doom movie - well before anybody thought about Karl Urban or the Rock another version of the Doom movie had a significant amount of VFX and modeling work put into it and would have been much closer to the game. It went into Hollywood's version of development hell and got canceled. It was in progress as early as 1995.
  • Swing shots - ancient multiplayer superstition that swinging your viewangle while pulling the trigger makes the SSG deal more damage.
  • Side-stepping lost souls - ancient rumor of which certain people were absolutely, religiously convinced that an older version of Doom contained AI which would allow lost souls to turn and dodge missiles by performing their dashing attack at a 90 degree angle from the oncoming missile. No such code's ever been found when reverse engineering. Mandela effect?
  • The shotgun in MAP21 - for decades people claimed the SSG at the start of MAP21: Nirvana was a reference to Kurt Cobain's suicide. Recently debunked by Sandy Petersen, albeit in the midst of a series of posts that seem to indicate he might have early-onset dementia so really, who can know for sure now?
  • Who drugged American McGee? - The first time Trent Reznor met up with the id guys they went out for a wild night on the town. During the fun somebody slipped something nasty into American's drink and he got sick. Nobody knows who did it.
  • Doomguy almost had an afro - No comment...
  • Lost alpha/beta maps - Contained in the same leak/dump that had the Blob enemy. Old versions of known maps that haven't been released, plus some other maps that have never been otherwise seen at all, indicating there are yet unplumbed depths of the id Software internal dev archives.

That is some really obscure and awesome trivia. I didn't knew like 40% of it. lol I can imagine Doomguy with an Afro.

Some other stuff I would add to the iceberg of obscure trivia:

• The hanging-corpses sprites: I believe the real source of these haven't been confirmed so far, with the main theory being that they're modeled after the real hanging of Benito Mussolini. The fact that they diverge too much from the other gore sprites artstyle makes it quite spooky.
  • Alien Game: Before the all-mighty demon-loving Doom we had, the id guys were going to actually make an Alien game, from the movie. I believe it was licensed.
  • E1M4 Swastika: A previous version of the map had a secret swastika as a reference to Wolf3D. This was removed later after Romero got a letter from a WW2 vet.

• Antidoom: Doom was so godlike famous back in its release date that some companies had to install ''Antidoom'' programs to prevent workers from playing Doom. Years ago I saw one of the programs on /idgames but gosh I forget the name.

• Final Doom other megawad: It's probably known among WAD explorers, but Perdition's Gate was originally going to be part of Final Doom, but probably got beaten by TNT: Evilution and Plutonia Experiment.

Suprising, I would like to see a complete iceberg, but I don't think alot of people are eager enough to make it.

1 minute ago, Theperson said:

Wow, people are still talking in this.

I kinda abandoned it but its still fun seeing all this.

At least I got you one that conformed to the original request. :)

9 hours ago, Quasar said:

Sandy Petersen's House: Self-explanatory really. He put his own house and his dad's house into MAP16 according to a tweet.

Also a video where he made a small tour of the real houses compared to their in-game versions.

9 hours ago, Quasar said:

American McGee's console Doom - Took years for us to figure out who made the console levels because nobody ever took the time to check the instruction manual :)

Note that Sandy also claimed authorship for those conversions.

Just now, Gez said:

Note that Sandy also claimed authorship for those conversions.

As part of the aformentioned posting spree which gave us the "I hope you're doing well" Romero meme, yes. I don't consider most of those even remotely reliable, except where they're backed up by earlier pre-existing stuff. As the original manuals credit McGee for all the level conversions, that's what I consider correct.