Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paar

Is there still any demand for vanilla maps?

1 hour ago, Lazlo Panaflex said:

This is just my opinion, but to me classic Doom has a whole vibe all its own. It's partly the look, feel and sound of it; but there's also an element of nostalgia and deep personal connection I have with how the game impacted me at that time in my life.

Nicely put, I feel the same way.

Let me just add to the pile and say I've been working on some vanilla maps lately and goofing around remixing regular stock textures to make it feel a little more fresh, if a bit familiar. I enjoy working on limit-removing and Boom maps but I'll always have a soft spot for the vanilla Doom experience.

Making Doom maps is why I started the ZokumBSP fork of ZenNode. To enable the construction of bigger and cooler maps.

I have come to dislike the term "vanilla" as it implies a very plain and basic flavor. Vanilla also means a lot of different things, depending on who you ask. Many source ports claim to be vanilla compatible or have good vanilla compatibility. It's not uncommon that these ports fail to play "vanilla" maps correctly.

In some cases, port problems gets blamed on the mapper instead. For some people "vanilla" means only the stuff found in the iwads. Anything beyond that which for some reason a source port doesn't handle, isn't proper vanilla...

I remember seing a youtube video reviewing Alien Vendetta, where the reviewer complained about deep water effects. In his opinion AV shouldn't have had these types of effects since by the time it was released, GLBoom was out and it didn't support this kind of effect properly. I personally don't care if something that works fine on 1.9 breaks in a source port. The problem is with the port, not the mapper or the map.

So I have personally adopted the terminology of a mate of mine. I map for 'one-nine' (Doom 2 version 1.9). For practical reasons I use Chocolate Doom to test and run the things I work on.

It's fantastic to see so many 1.9ers in this thread. Hopefully I will be able to enrich your mapping options with new versions of ZokumBSP.

does limit-removing also count as vanilla? AFAIK, it takes out the visplane overflows, loading saves that may fuck up the game, but it doesn't use any cool tricks from boom.

Not gonna add up much, but I want to point out the good feeling I have (and for sure others too) when mapping inside vanilla limits. It's very nice to play around with fewer resources. For me mapping means relaxing, the hobby I do outside working hours, and the way Vanilla DOOM is definied is the right amount of fun.

2 hours ago, VoanHead said:

does limit-removing also count as vanilla? AFAIK, it takes out the visplane overflows, loading saves that may fuck up the game, but it doesn't use any cool tricks from boom.

Limit removing is not vanilla. Vanilla means it would run in doom(2).exe v1.9.

I'm trying to make a fully vanilla compatible WAD right now. While I really miss the small but not inconsequential QOL improvements of UDMF (like being able to align flats til I'm blue in the face), I find forcing myself to work within vanilla confines is an interesting challenge that makes me confront my inner detail perfectionist repeatedly.

On 5/16/2021 at 3:15 PM, BoJustBo said:

Restrictions breed creativity.

I map exclusively in doom 2 format it's all I bothered to learn. I always find a way to make something work with the limitations and it does require some thinking to figure these things out!

Like in map ten of my new maps coming out where you're in a lowering elevator and have to fight like in that captain America movie as they all teleport in but also without needing to make a noise to wake them. I have fun figuring this stuff out

1 hour ago, VisionThing said:

I'm trying to make a fully vanilla compatible WAD right now. While I really miss the small but not inconsequential QOL improvements of UDMF (like being able to align flats til I'm blue in the face), I find forcing myself to work within vanilla confines is an interesting challenge that makes me confront my inner detail perfectionist repeatedly.

Making customs flats that have been aligned in paint.net or whatever, to suit your needs is also good fun in this regard. And looks really cool as well.

Vanilla is so alien to me.

Im a UDMF freak and so its always a fun challenge to try and make something with it.

UDMF has spoiled me alot.

9 minutes ago, Theperson said:

Vanilla is so alien to me.

Im a UDMF freak and so its always a fun challenge to try and make something with it.

UDMF has spoiled me alot.

You would be surprised just how much you can actually do in vanilla. 

When mapping I prefer UDMF because it's features make mapping way easier, but as a player I really don't mind the format and will gladly play anything. Some people will of course be more inclined to vanilla or modern, but I think most will just play whatever feels fun

2 hours ago, Liberation said:

You would be surprised just how much you can actually do in vanilla. 

tbf it is a lot harder to do the really advanced stuff in vanilla, but you're still right