Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csucskos

Settle this once and for all - Spider Mastermind's gender

I was minding my business and BAM, I saw this video Sandy - Why Is Doom Like That? So in this video Sandy, original creator of Doom, talks about the Spider Mastermind as a He. And this was new to me, as since the beginning everyone I heard to talk about it, called it a she. So I started thinking, where does the whole Spider Mastermind is female thing come from? Is there an original source? Or who came up with it? Educate me please!

Just to be cleare, I like to think about it as a she, because the Cyberdemon is the king and she could be the queen or something... And also, finally a female enemy. Variety is the spice of life afterall.

6 minutes ago, Csucskos said:

So I started thinking, where does the whole Spider Mastermind is female thing come from? Is there an original source?

The Doom II manual half-jokingly refers to it as the mother of the arachnotrons. That's it.

7 minutes ago, Csucskos said:

And also, finally a female enemy. Variety is the spice of life afterall.

I prefer to think of the demons as being neither male nor female: they are magical embodiment of evil, not real biological species.

The newest info about the SM is from DOOM (2016),

Spoiler

where at the end of game, which is canon, female character Olivia Pierce was transformed into SM.

That is why SM is a female, hence called as she.
Not sure what is the reasoning before that.

Sandy Probably just forgot or didn't realize. I don't really care if there are males or females, just as long as I can rip them apart, I'm good. 

Not much related, but I once jokingly imagined the Spider Mastermind to be a demon-transformed Stephen Hawking, with the whole mechanical legs and the brain thing.

"The loathsome spiderdemon that masterminded the invasion of the moon bases and caused so much death has had it's ass kicked for all time"

20 minutes ago, Chip said:

Sandy Probably just forgot or didn't realize. I don't really care if there are males or females, just as long as I can rip them apart, I'm good. 

35 minutes ago, Csucskos said:

I was minding my business and BAM, I saw this video Sandy - Why Is Doom Like That? So in this video Sandy, original creator of Doom, talks about the Spider Mastermind as a He.

Sandy is known to remember the development of Doom and Doom 2 wrong.

As for me the spider mastermind is and always will be a she.

10 minutes ago, Theperson said:

As for me the spider mastermind is and always will be a she.

OK, but source? I get that she is female in Doom 2016, but in classic Doom?

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

EDIT: This is taken from the original Doom 2 manual (just to avoid any confusion) 

I doubt that. Two quotes from Doom wiki:

Spider Masterminds have been described with both male and female gender.

The Spiderdemon is not mentioned in the Doom game booklet, presumably to avoid a spoiler.

I need someone to verify these, but it can't be that easy.

There are multiple spiderdemons, so there are male, female, and nonbinary spiders

1 minute ago, Csucskos said:

I doubt that. Two quotes from Doom wiki:

Spider Masterminds have been described with both male and female gender.

The Spiderdemon is not mentioned in the Doom game booklet, presumably to avoid a spoiler.

I need someone to verify these, but it can't be that easy.

It wasn't a spoiler. The Doom 2 manual. I have no evidence for you, but I definitely remember that manual, and other things from it, like "combat shotgun" and "commando." 

The Doom 1 manual did not mention them, but it said something like "There may be others; don't say we didn't warn you." Doom 2 says the same, which is true of SS and icon.

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

It wasn't a spoiler. The Doom 2 manual. I have no evidence for you, but I definitely remember that manual, and other things from it, like "combat shotgun" and "commando."

Ohh, I missed the 2 part. OK, I see! Thanks!

Well technically speaking, the spidermastermind doesn't have any male/female organs, since it is just a brain having mechanized legs and a chaingun. So it is really neither.

Have you tried asking the Spider Mastermind what their gender is? 

oh? You just get chaingunned to giblets when you try? Perhaps then, stick with 'they'.

I mean, are there any reproduction organs in demons? No, se technically it's asexual but who cares, people call her she so I'm calling her like that too, specially that it's in the Doom2 manual. Either that or the demons have to wear clothes to make the original artist not need to imagine and then draw their... you know.

Mom. Spider.

Nuff said.

Next question would be lost soul gender.....actually...no, no next question. 

OK I see, I should have made a poll. But I wanted to get a feeling for it. It seems to me, majority agrees that the Spider Mastermind is a girl, but very few sources got mentioned. I accept the Doom 2 booklet as a respectable source, but it still not convincing enough. I mean, she is the only female demon and noone ever mentions it? If it's not that big of a thing than why the heck build it up as one.

What I want to get is that seemingly everyone knows her as a female, but noone ever questions it why none of the other enemies are specified. (Zombieman. Other than that.)

18 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Mom. Spider.

Nuff said.

Next question would be lost soul gender.....actually...no, no next question. 

OK :D Lost soul? And what about the pain elemental? Is that a way of birth? Soooo?

14 minutes ago, Csucskos said:

I mean, she is the only female demon

Just load H-Doom, every demon is now female.

Realistically, I don't think demons have any specific gender. They may appear to have masculine and feminine physical traits, but there's no way to tell if that's natural or engineered biology or if their appearance is tailored to their role in Hell's army. You could apply TF2 classes to demons, as an example. A Revenant would fill a similar role to Medic, while a baron is like the Heavy. 

But the creators of Doom games do have some kind of precedence over canon, so if the Spider Mastermind is female, then that may be what it is.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Spidey.jpg.6687ef675bf3bfc284b0275cb42bb23c.jpg

Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me!

EDIT: This is taken from the original Doom 2 manual (just to avoid any confusion)

Yup, that's where I got it from. I only played the Doom 1 shareware before playing Doom 2, so I had never even seen the Spider Mastermind until I read through that manual. But yeah, after reading that, I've always considered the Mastermind to be female. Or maybe just nongendered, which really I think all of the demons in Doom probably are. They're spawned out of cubes (or vats), they don't need sexual organs. I'll still call the Spider Mastermind a she though, it's in the manual.