Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icecoldduke

Quake 4 - Doom 3 GPL integration

Hey,

I have a few projects going(trying to find the right one for a proper RTX port). I have integrated the Quake 4 SDK with Doom 3 GPL. The game is almost 100% playable, there are a couple non progressions were the doors don't open(you can see in the video), but I can play five levels or so before encountering a true non progression. AI, GUIS, and a lot of Quake 4 specific bits are all ported over(a lot of that work I already did in other projects). 

Alpha 2 Binaries:

https://github.com/jmarshall23/Quake4Doom/releases/tag/Alpha2

Github:

https://github.com/jmarshall23/Quake4Doom

Quite a few fixes including dmap(map compiler) and the runaas compiler can now build Quake 4 maps(just without the AAS 1.08 tactical information, the engine can read that information, but if you want to make new content, runaas can't generate that data yet). 

Also fixed the door being black. This is the last visual issue, aside from missing particles, which I won't be fixing. Quake 4 had a custom VFX engine called BSE which was never open sourced and is huge pain to reverse engineer. So here's hoping Microsoft will open source Quake 4 at some point, until then it won't have particles :(. But all the remaining visual issues are now fixed. 

image.png

In previous work(before we had access to add new engine features with Quake4Doom) I added CaS to the closed source engine, but it had a fixed set of resolutions because I couldn't pass in the render target information; obviously that's fixed.

(look at it zoomed in). 

CaS OFF

cas-off.png

CaS ON
cas-on.png

On 5/23/2021 at 12:21 AM, icecoldduke said:

In previous work(before we had access to add new engine features with Quake4Doom) I added CaS to the closed source engine, but it had a fixed set of resolutions because I couldn't pass in the render target information; obviously that's fixed.

(look at it zoomed in). 

CaS OFF

cas-off.png

CaS ON
cas-on.png

This is a dumb question, I'm sorry, but what does this mod actually do? I've been wanting to replay Quake 4 but graphically, there are a lot of problems and most mods I tried didn't solve those problems (resolution, textures looking blurry, models not getting detailed, etc). I was hoping to find something like Doom 3 Redux, but Quake 4 modding seems far less active. 

4 hours ago, Sprony said:

This is a dumb question, I'm sorry, but what does this mod actually do? I've been wanting to replay Quake 4 but graphically, there are a lot of problems and most mods I tried didn't solve those problems (resolution, textures looking blurry, models not getting detailed, etc). I was hoping to find something like Doom 3 Redux, but Quake 4 modding seems far less active.

Most of these issues can be adjusted in the config file or an autoexec file. It won't magically make your game look "next gen" or anything, but it should open it up to look its best.

r_mode "-1" would allow for a custom resolution, r_aspectRatio "1" would be 16:9, and "0" would be 4:3, then r_customHeight and r_customWidth would be your monitor's resolution.

To remove blurry textures, these settings should help.

seta gui_mediumFontLimit "0"
seta gui_smallFontLimit "0"

seta image_downSizeLimit "0"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "0"
seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "0"
seta image_useNormalCompressionLoadDDSForPal "0"
seta image_useNormalCompression "0"
seta image_useAllFormats "1"
seta image_useCompression "0"
seta image_downSize "0"
seta image_lodbias "-0.5"

If you want to remove texture filtering for a crisp, more pixelated look for some reason, image_filter can be set to "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"

If I missed something or got anything wrong, I'd appreciate any corrections.

1 hour ago, Lippeth said:

Most of these issues can be adjusted in the config file or an autoexec file. It won't magically make your game look "next gen" or anything, but it should open it up to look its best.

r_mode "-1" would allow for a custom resolution, r_aspectRatio "1" would be 16:9, and "0" would be 4:3, then r_customHeight and r_customWidth would be your monitor's resolution.

seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_downSize "0"

If you want to remove texture filtering for a crisp, more pixelated look for some reason, image_filter can be set to "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"

I currently have these settings which are passable:

seta image_downSizeLimit "128"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "128"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeBump "1"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_cacheMegs "100"
seta image_cacheMinK "30"
seta image_useNormalCompressionLoadDDSForPal "1"
seta image_downSize "1"
seta image_lodbias "0"
seta image_anisotropy "8"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"

But yours work better. Thank you!

On 7/12/2021 at 4:28 AM, Sprony said:

It's not a mod. I've recreated chunks of the Quake 4 source code in Doom 3 and added graphical features that wouldn't be available otherwise.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:18 AM, Lippeth said:

seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_downSize "0"

This post kind of made me angry(honestly). Contrast adaptive sharpen is a post processing pass, and the visual results give a sharper result then simply disabling low res textures. In fact you can't use CAS with low res textures. 

This mod adds Quake 4 support to the Doom 3 GPL code base by modifying the engine to load the Quake 4 DLL. Contrast Adaptive Sharpen is just a new graphical feature in the codebase, but you can't get the same result by just editing the config of the original game. 

I apologize, this config solution was meant only for vanilla Quake 4, without CAS. With a fresh Steam install of the game, some of the default settings make certain textures and models look very blurry, and adjusting these settings helped to make it look as clear as possible on higher resolution monitors without the help of extra post processing or new textures.

If I undermined your project I can remove the info or preface it with a disclaimer, and if the info is outright wrong or misinformed I would love to learn how to correct it. I'm by no means an expert on anything related to this, but I'm a sponge and enjoy learning new things and sharing what I've learned about this stuff. Also if I'm missing the point about the problem you have with my post, please clarify so I can try to make it right.

43 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

I apologize, this config solution was meant only for vanilla Quake 4, without CAS. With a fresh Steam install of the game, some of the default settings make certain textures and models look very blurry, and adjusting these settings helped to make it look as clear as possible on higher resolution monitors without the help of extra post processing or new textures.

If I undermined your project I can remove the info or preface it with a disclaimer, and if the info is outright wrong or misinformed I would love to learn how to correct it. I'm by no means an expert on anything related to this, but I'm a sponge and enjoy learning new things and sharing what I've learned about this stuff. Also if I'm missing the point about the problem you have with my post, please clarify so I can try to make it right.

No sorry I just woke up and read it the wrong way I guess :).

The entire point though of this project is to create a open source engine that can run Quake 4, and its already there; the contrast adaptive sharpen is just a additional feature and isn't the point of the project. The point of the project is to modify Doom 3 GPL to have the engine features of Quake 4 and can play Quake 4. Its already to that point(singleplayer is completely playable), with the exception of the particle engine and multiplayer and I'm trying to fix multiplayer now. 

17 hours ago, icecoldduke said:

No sorry I just woke up and read it the wrong way I guess :).

The entire point though of this project is to create a open source engine that can run Quake 4, and its already there; the contrast adaptive sharpen is just a additional feature and isn't the point of the project. The point of the project is to modify Doom 3 GPL to have the engine features of Quake 4 and can play Quake 4. Its already to that point(singleplayer is completely playable), with the exception of the particle engine and multiplayer and I'm trying to fix multiplayer now. 

Ah, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification. Just curious, but isn't the multiplayer dead? What's the benefit of still adding that?

On 5/19/2021 at 5:31 AM, icecoldduke said:

Hey,

I have a few projects going(trying to find the right one for a proper RTX port). I have integrated the Quake 4 SDK with Doom 3 GPL. The game is almost 100% playable, there are a couple non progressions were the doors don't open(you can see in the video), but I can play five levels or so before encountering a true non progression. AI, GUIS, and a lot of Quake 4 specific bits are all ported over(a lot of that work I already did in other projects).

I was looking for a Quake 4 source port, thinking it would available since the idtech4 engine was realeased by Carmack as GPL, I didn't know Quake 4 engine was propietary of Raven which never released it.  This project might help me about it, only doubt I have and very interested to know, if is it possible to compile it on a Raspberry Pi 4B running Ubuntu Mate Linux 21.10?