Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LateToDOOM2020

Stealth Game Play Style

So I was playing Doom and Discovered how the bezerk pack works.
Its useful because I can punch someone and kill them instantly while being silent and not getting monsters attention.
This caused me to think it would be nice to play through some doom wads in a very stealth like way.
For example for those you cant punch into a mush you would use a silencer. Also I have noticed on modern doom ports crouching can make it so you can pass by windows without being seen from other rooms. This is another useful way.

My thoughts are... Has anyone focused on a mod to add silencers or stealth gameplay features into doom? 
It sounds like a fun way to play through a wad.

3 hours ago, Soulless said:

Map20 on Mayhem 2020 by @Steve88 called "Stealth mode", highly recommended.

Don't forget MAP43 from the same wad :)

Nice it sounds like ill have to check out this wad. It seems doom has a good amount of room to make it stealth with (deaf option for demons, Bazerk Pack for One punches, Well designed maps for this..., Mods!, Crouching..)

On 5/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, LateToDOOM2020 said:

Its useful because I can punch someone and kill them instantly while being silent and not getting monsters attention.

Actually, punching alerts monsters even if it doesn't hit anything (silly I know)

Also I have noticed on modern doom ports crouching can make it so you can pass by windows without being seen from other rooms. 

I didn't think actor height was ever included on monster visibility?

I was doing all this from the Brutal Doom mod since it enables me to set my damage to 700% on the Realistic Mode Setting.
Maybe it changes that or something I haven't tried the stealth punching and crouching in other situations yet.
Or maybe I'm crazy and extremely lucky! It seemed to work weirdly in GZDoom with the Brutal doom mod. 
Either way if its not designed for it I wish it was! its pretty cool to silently punch these demons into a pulp of gore.

Is this like a Source Port only thing? In Vanilla DOOM I thought a punch still woke up demons around you. 

1 minute ago, battlescroll said:

and still has the brutal doom silent neck snap (forgot to mention)

You can edit your original post rather than double posting. just click the little button in the bottom left called "Edit"

1 minute ago, Chip said:

Is this like a Source Port only thing? In Vanilla DOOM I thought a punch still woke up demons around you. 

7 minutes ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

with the Brutal doom mod. 

Well that explains it

Just now, Chip said:

In Vanilla DOOM I thought a punch still woke up demons around you. 

brutality turns that off

1 minute ago, Chip said:

You can edit your original post rather than double posting. just click the little button in the bottom left called "Edit"

ya i know im sorry did not mean to do that

I am new to doom still even though my username says im new to doom 2020!
So i actually did not know. Well its useful to have it off with the punching because it makes for some interesting gameplay!
Still i don't know if the crouching prevents disability for newer ports? I remeber crouching past a window full of  Many many demons and not one made a sound. Maybe its part of the brutal doom mod features or GZDoom?

2 minutes ago, LateToDOOM2020 said:

Maybe its part of the brutal doom mod features or GZDoom?

I don't play source ports (or really know anything about technology), so my reason might be incorrect, but I believe it has to do with MAPINFO turning it off in the GZDoom engine. I think there are a bunch of options to change gameplay settings such as that.