Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DavidN

RAMP - Rabbit's All-Comers Mapping project [DONE!!]

Do you mean 278 megabytes ? Sometimes if they're 278,7 or 278,8 it round up to 279 MB

On 9/27/2021 at 11:35 PM, FEDEX said:

Do you mean 278 megabytes ? Sometimes if they're 278,7 or 278,8 it round up to 279 MB

Yeah my bad. Sorry.

Well, bumping the thread a little but for a good reason. It's all done. In the end, I'd say it was a perfect variation of simplistic to AWESOME maps. The garden is a must keep. If this project was to undergo a sequel, I would suggest to keep the general layout and put time on updating the garden, fixing bugs and to better evaluate the maps's tags. I think it would be fun to come in the same place again, with maybe some changes but still a time saving no effort known place. 

On the negative side, I wished a better evaluation of the maps. On many occasions, I had a rough time on some level 2 or 3 maps while breezing in some level 4 and sometimes 5. The size was also problematic. Sizes vs time required could be better evaluated. And, finally, bugs were all over the place (well, more than usual). Exiting maps while searching secrets, homs on many occasions, Locked doors while backtracking or coming back at some point later in the game, etc.

Overall, for all this represent in fun, effort/work and general result, this is a fantastic project. Hope to see more. Bravo to all involved. 

Screenshot_Doom_20211124_222444.png.838ed4a6054e10709e0aa191fc8dd97e.png

11 hours ago, pfl said:

Well, bumping the thread a little but for a good reason. It's all done. In the end, I'd say it was a perfect variation of simplistic to AWESOME maps. The garden is a must keep. If this project was to undergo a sequel, I would suggest to keep the general layout and put time on updating the garden, fixing bugs and to better evaluate the maps's tags. I think it would be fun to come in the same place again, with maybe some changes but still a time saving no effort known place. 

On the negative side, I wished a better evaluation of the maps. On many occasions, I had a rough time on some level 2 or 3 maps while breezing in some level 4 and sometimes 5. The size was also problematic. Sizes vs time required could be better evaluated. And, finally, bugs were all over the place (well, more than usual). Exiting maps while searching secrets, homs on many occasions, Locked doors while backtracking or coming back at some point later in the game, etc.

Overall, for all this represent in fun, effort/work and general result, this is a fantastic project. Hope to see more. Bravo to all involved. 

Screenshot_Doom_20211124_222444.png.838ed4a6054e10709e0aa191fc8dd97e.png

nice garden

Congrats on the mention in Cacowards! I loved DUMP3, but it was very buggy given that there was no baseline for all maps, RAMPART has definitely improved the experience massively! I have a couple of bugs to report:

* Homage to Doom: Blue keycard does not appear in the level -- problem with HNTR or less?

* Cerpsen Manor: There are two non-solid walls within the first room, allowing you, and enemies to escape the map

Looking forward to working through this, thanks all for your efforts!

An amazing project with many high quality maps and some unique hidden gems.

You can find full spectrum of genres here: adventure maps, combat puzzles, boss fights, slaughtermaps and even minigames and story maps.

Highly recommend.

5 hours ago, Vrhrlv said:

An amazing project with many high quality maps and some unique hidden gems.

You can find full spectrum of genres here: adventure maps, combat puzzles, boss fights, slaughtermaps and even minigames and story maps.

Highly recommend.

Thanks (not only from me) I am glad to see you had fun :)

On 5/20/2021 at 4:57 PM, DavidN said:

image.png.6c5d52863145567bdccdaab5efdbc3fd.png

DIRECT DOWNLOAD (278 MB)

RAMP Site

It's here! Over June and July 2021, we built a community of Doom mappers of all ages, tastes and levels of experience. The goal was simply to try new ideas - making a map for the first time, experimenting with a new map format, or anything that the author wanted - and to finish with a combined showcase of our efforts. That showcase ended up containing exactly two hundred maps.

Enter the strange hastily-assembled environment of RAMP Central and choose the challenges you want - from tiny arena maps to epic journeys, from easy beginner maps to megaslaughter insanity. Then head down to the patch of wasteland outside and build your own trophy garden to show off your achievements.

This is what I'm calling a beta copy - some small map bugs will almost certainly be found before this goes up on idgames, but (with fingers crossed) the whole thing is playable.

F6M3uAQ.png

u896U2J.png

DhIj56y.png

DipdG7b.png

(Steady on, LordEntropy)

smA3XCG.png

DIRECT DOWNLOAD (278 MB)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this unexpectedly massive project, and especially to those who spent time giving feedback, advice and guidance to others. As long as the influx of new mappers continues, Doom will never die :) It was amazing to see people's efforts, and I'm very happy that some of these maps have already been turned into the basis for episodes or larger projects because their authors didn't want to stop.

I experimented with a continuous integration-like system for Doom for this project, and due to the size it ended up being, making this would not have been sanely possible without it. I'll be doing some writeups on it and making the code available to the Doom community as soon as I've got it into an understandable state!

is there any way to play all these maps in a unbroken experience? I just don't like the hub system

9 hours ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

is there any way to play all these maps in a unbroken experience? I just don't like the hub system

You could just use console commands

Any hints for Golden Disorder (map149)? I've been trying to max it and it has been savaging me...

Hardest part for me is the yellow key room; I seem to able to survive only about 1 out of 3 tries there. The other rooms are not as bad once I have the rocket launcher but plenty can go wrong in any of them.

I don't know if it's intended to cower behind the exit pillar in the last area... the fight seems completely hopeless otherwise...

11 hours ago, evouga said:

Any hints for Golden Disorder (map149)? I've been trying to max it and it has been savaging me...

Yeah I definitely didn't make it an easy one :P

Hardest part for me is the yellow key room; I seem to able to survive only about 1 out of 3 tries there.

The key to beating that one consistently is to:

1. Nudge one (ore more) of the revenants;

2. Try to get a straight missile out of one of them to hit the archvile;

3. Profit?

At least this was the most promising and intended strategy.

I don't know if it's intended to cower behind the exit pillar in the last area... the fight seems completely hopeless otherwise...

To be completely honest I went too overboard with that one. I just wanted to make an explosive ending but the deadline creeping up made me rush it (even though I still had plenty of time) Hiding behind the exit pillar is definitely not intended but at least it's a non-RNG heavy way to beat it.
Other than that I hope you had fun playing my... thing.

> At least this was the most promising and intended strategy.

Thanks, I'll give that a try! It seems better than my current "Archvile jump over the Revenant horde" approach :)

> Other than that I hope you had fun playing my... thing.

To be honest, it's probably the most aesthetically stunning map I've played so far in RAMP. In terms of gameplay, I especially like the design of the blue key room---just a few well-placed enemies make for a vicious puzzle that requires careful positioning and planning.

Thanks for contributing!

2 hours ago, evouga said:

Thanks, I'll give that a try! It seems better than my current "Archvile jump over the Revenant horde" approach :)

Hah, that sounds crazy lol. I love it.

2 hours ago, evouga said:

To be honest, it's probably the most aesthetically stunning map I've played so far in RAMP. In terms of gameplay, I especially like the design of the blue key room---just a few well-placed enemies make for a vicious puzzle that requires careful positioning and planning.

Oh, thank you so much! I really appreciate it. It warms my heart seeing people still enjoy that map.

Gameplay wise, I find it lacking in a lot of parts. I might rerelease the two Golden maps I made for RAMP with some revamped fights at some point. No promises though :p

How do you get the star in Map 187: Return to Seitis? There's a cube spawner in the final room and its spawns *do* count as kills. I don't see any way to turn it off. It's possible to avoid alerting it by not firing in the last room, but then, you can't kill the Barons and Hell Knights in that room...

I think I know the map you're talking about and I couldn't work out an intended solution either. Some maps are simply broken; you can bring down the console with the backtick/tilde key and type "kill monsters" to remove any remaining monsters on the map

On 9/23/2022 at 7:04 AM, A Handsome Fridge said:

Check out Bushfire as well. Good Chookum map!

alright you convinced me

After some months of casual play, I finally completed all of the RAMP maps! Some highlights, all of which would have not been out of place as an entry in a top-tier megawad:

MAP27: Brick and Root: I really enjoyed the atmosphere of this map; the overgrown-techbase aesthetic is engaging and there are some fun and very hectic fights. The red key area is far too quiet and you *know* there's going to be a major ambush---but surviving is no trivial matter even when you know what to expect.

MAP63: LAMBORGHINI TORTELINNI: I'm not going to lie---the invisible enemies immediately turned me off to this level, and even in retrospect I'm skeptical that they are a net positive. The rocket launcher should be very helpful here but I don't dare use it in most places as the danger of taking a rocket to the face from an invisible revenant is just too great. That complaint aside, the gameplay in this level is fantastic: you're forced to maintain situational awareness of what the cyberdemon twins (color coded for your convenience!) are doing at all times, while strategically routing around the ring to build your arsenal.

MAP74: Bashibozuk: This was the last map I completed. Not because it's the hardest (though it's plenty hard!) but I put if off out of spite after dying a few times to the archviles in the very last corridor! There are two very tough fights guarding the rocket launcher and plasma rifle that seemed impossible at first and required a lot of practice to clear successfully, but every part of this map can and will kill you if you lose concentration or get particularly unlucky. The aesthetics of the map are top-notch, with lots of interesting use of verticality. My favorite area is the flooded mine where you find the yellow key.

MAP85: Night Lightning: Another high-quality map, apparently from the same author as Bashibozuk. This one is much shorter and easier, and is the purest routing challenge in RAMP. Figure out a plan before trying to clear it: a blind playthrough with save-scumming will feel miserable! Unfortunately I'm forced to give some demerits to this map for a secret that seemingly requires an SR50 jump over damaging floors (I never managed to make the jump, even in god mode).

MAP94: Integumentary: Wow! I don't think there's a single right angle in the whole map, and all of those slopes, caverns, and stalagmites surprisingly don't interfere too much with movement or combat. The final room is jaw-dropping even relative to the rest of the level. The map ends with a fight against a pair of extremely lethal custom bosses; I do wish that they had been previewed earlier in the map, in more forgiving circumstances.

MAP149: Golden Disorder: "No Health 2" is listed in the trophy system as the hardest map in RAMP, but I'm pretty sure I died in the very first room of Golden Disorder far more times than I did in my entire set of "No Health 2" runs. Golden Disorder is a series of brutal traps where even once you've figured out a plausible approach to each room, execution requires a lot of practice and persistence. I hid like a coward behind the exit pillar in the final room to take out the cyberdemons and archviles; if there's a way to play this room straight, it's reserved for doom gods with far more skill than me. A wonderful set of puzzles with a gorgeous aesthetic.

MAP153: The Meteoroid
: This map doesn't waste any time putting you directly in the middle of a frantic fight. Exhilarating from start to finish; I love the maze area that collapses into a grand arena, and the finale around the titular meteoroid. The timing of the traps around the maze room could be timed a little tighter: once I had practice the map a bit, I had to wait around several minutes for the cyberdemon and archviles to come out of hiding.

MAP203: Party Crasher: Don't let the atmosphere fool you: the demons here party hard, and work even harder to kick your ass for disturbing the festivities. Another gorgeous level unlike anything I've ever seen in Doom before. The fights and traps are no joke, either; especially the up-close cyberdemon and archvile ambush at the very end.

It seems to me that the links to download RAMP are down or it doesn't let me have access. The main page does not load and the download link does not load either. Is there any other way to download it? Either in ID games or other links. Since I would like to try the Wad because it seems to contain a wide variety of maps of various tastes.