Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

[Megawad] Tarnsman's Projectile Hell - Now on idgames

12 hours ago, Doomkid said:

most importantly, I think it's funny that E4M8 has 420 monsters hehe lol

Parts of the map were removed because I couldn't keep their gameplay without exceeding that count.  

Spoiler

This is why you don't visit Earth, Mars, or Saturn during the final sequence.

18 hours ago, NotSoHazy said:

I hate you.

You're welcome.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:04 AM, NotSoHazy said:

Amazing maps, but seriously, fuck e1m8

seconded, which is a shame because it had potential to be blisteringly entertaining. hate that theres no way to return to the archvile arena after you teleport out of it....at least give us a way to go back and clear out the archviles smh

Thanks for the megaest of megawads. I like the story. Strong Touhou vibes.

I'm getting severely filtered by E1M5. The fighting is awesome and furious, just enough ammo on continous play to make demons ded.

FUN!
But progression is another story; I raised the first set of rising walkways and platforms, but the second set eludes me.

Got any tips other than "watch UV-max replay on YouTube"?

P.S.: Have you heard Utsu-P music? You might like, check it out: https://youtu.be/Sybi0z3Eltw

postin oh so meta.jpg

8 minutes ago, marco.nadal.75 said:

How to beat E1M5 -- shoot LineDef #674

You should not need to shoot any switch to beat E1M5. That linedef unlocks a secret not any forward progression. There is a walk over line nearby that raises the other platforms.

What port are you playing on? In EE it might be possible to skip that line.

46 minutes ago, Tarnsman said:

You should not need to shoot any switch to beat E1M5. That linedef unlocks a secret not any forward progression. There is a walk over line nearby that raises the other platforms.

You mean Linedef #1455 (generalized type #26704)?
How would I even get up there? 

What port are you playing on? In EE it might be possible to skip that line.

I play in GZDoom 4.5.0 and I walk over that line and nothing happens.

Not that I would get to that line anyway, since I can't reach it anyway.

Screenshot_Doom_20210605_030553.png

32 minutes ago, marco.nadal.75 said:

You mean Linedef #1455 (generalized type #26704)?

I play in GZDoom 4.5.0 and I walk over that line and nothing happens.

That should be raising the path to the exit, if it's not it might be something weird in your compat settings. I can't reproduce and haven't seen anyone else with the problem.

20 hours ago, Sena said:

Best cover art I've ever seen

Isn't it? Those sanpaku eyes and Goya gaping mouth, they haunt my dreams.
The art drew me in, and now I listen to Utsu-P every time I drive.
Artist name is 飯時 Hansi. This is the best quality version I could find:

Utsu-P's Greatest Shits album cover.jpg

Played the first and second episodes and this is fantastic so far. The new balance works perfectly for fast paced dooming. 

For those who beat e1m8 already:

Spoiler

What was your experience with e1m8? I was able to complete it arch jumping straight to the red key, then archjumping back. Not sure if this is legit or a bug, but other approaches seem so much harder, I've not been able to progress much trying something else. Especially trying to actually kill any of the archies.

PS:

Big ups to the author, very nice challenging wad. I can see some Plutonia and slaughter influences but it has its own unique style both in layouts and combat.

Me

> Playing most things on UV by default thesedays

> Replayed D2TWID this summer "Hey these Tarnsman maps are awesome. Chill and fun"

> Played Syringe "Damn this is good!"

> Projectile Hell... UV... "Shouldn't be too bad"

WTF! lol, but I got into it after awhile. Lot of saving to get through E1 on UV. I got bored of E1M8 after awhile so I skipped it.

Bumped it down to HMP from there and I'm having more fun. Some of E2 reminded me of Shadow Warrior / Build Engine stuff in a cool way. Intentional? E3 is pretty cool so far, except for the weird ghost enemies and neon stuff in E3M1.

Favorites so far are probably E1M5, E2M5, and E3M3.

Anyone know all the track titles?

I beat it last night.

Definitely won't say I loved it and I did some things I rarely do in a wad, God moding some of E3M7 and E3M8, then noclipping E4M6 after I couldn't find one of the keys for what felt like forever. I couldn't even figure it out noclipping. E3-E4 in general got a little long winded in the middle with those huge maps with so many layers, teleporters, etc, so I was losing steam at times. Had to take my breaks, but I've been played a ton of Doom again this summer so that might just be me.

Still, had a lot of fun.

I bumped it down to HNTR for E4, lol. Which sadly felt a little too easy in a lot of parts, but even on HMP, E2-E3 were quite insane. I feel like dipping back into some skillsaw stuff would be a walk in the park after this.

I liked the Cyber Kinghts (Cybruiser?) a lot, better than Eviternity's too since they don't have that hitscan spam attack. Faster Caco's and Imp's was fun. I think the final boss killed himself haha. For the weapons, the burstfire rifle was freaking cool. Faster switching was nice. The beefier Plasma and ammo cap on that felt right. I actually didn't use the explosive shotgun much, for as cool as it was (especially being able to one shot Revenant's usually), I just kind of stuck to the other weapons I guess. The chaingun was great too.

Excellent architecture/themes and track usage. Lot of blues that I liked.

Moments of appreciation, memes, etc spoilers: https://imgur.com/a/2RisMsw

Is the secret map of the first episode uv maxable? Missing 4 mons, not using any mods.

Great changes to monster behaviour btw, cacos are a legit threat now

On 6/29/2021 at 3:16 PM, Exit243 said:

What was your experience with e1m8?

This was the first Doom map I couldn't beat with iddqd. I became indeed an "imortal smoke trying to reach the moon" as the map title says, and couldn't get back to the floor. Later I figured it out and beat it properly. 

Updated to RC1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbfvx023wvqjb2z/TPH-RC1.zip?dl=0

RC1 CHANGELOG:

- Replaced E1M9 with new map, old map was a speedmap from 2013 that had been unchanged since and I figured it could use an update.

- Replaced some midis with new ones by AD_79.
- Modified EE options to default autocenter while firing (EE maintains weapon bob while firing by default, which was extremely noticable when trying to aim the rifle mid-bob)
- Added more barrels near snipping monsters so good shots can 100% kills with less mid-tier cleanup.
- Added a few more secrets to maps with low counts.
- Lowered Digicube health by 30 so they more reliably die in 1 rocket.
- Reduced Cyberdemon Rocket Speed to 40 so it doesn't bug out in EE due to how EE handles fast projectiles.
- Graphically tweaked Chaingun Spiders to be more distinguishable from regular Arachnotrons.
- Tweaked spread on Almost Super Shotgun.
- Fixed bug in EDF that made Rifle shoot 25 bullets that did 1 damage instead of 5 bullets.
- Fixed similar bug with the Bullet Dispenser.
- Fixed final frame of rifle refire being double the duration it should have been.
- Fixed soundcut off on Bullet Dispenser so fire sounds now match rate of fire.
- Fixed bug with Screams McGee not blowing up correctly.
- Fixed bug in EE with Megazerk not extending duration if you picked one up prior to the previous wearing off.
- Fixed various soft-locks (thank you Skepticist for finding a bunch)
- Fixed Digicube Rev Rockets not tracking in EE.
- Fixed bug where trails on projectiles would play player damage state sounds.

Man, the new e1m9 is so good. Couldn't find one secret - my gut tells me it's somewhere in that dark outside area. Guessing the whole purpose of this map was to allow the player get their hands on that double rocket shotty. Wish there more levels like this in this megawad, especially in e4, which ngl felt a bit underwhelming in comparison, especially to e1 and e3, which were freaking fantastic.

Thanks for making this awesome mapset; I thoroughly enjoyed it although there were instances that made me question how much of a sociopath you are xD

Switched from beta version to rc1 on map E3M5, and after finding all the secrets I noticed the monster counter was still 328/372.

Its kinda rare since I found all secrets, anyway, amazing map

Spoiler

with a really cool elaborated secret exit

Edited by Soulless

Touhou song names lured me in.  I'm a bit sad that loading up the Touhou Doom weapons mod isn't an option since Master Sparking large crowds is gratifying but I'll get over it.  EDIT: Appears to run fine without breaking anything, haven't extensively tested though.  One does miss out on the intended experience but that's the usual caveat when it comes to external mods.

Really like the fast weapon switches and the opportunities for barrel frags.  The story is also gloriously nonsensical with everything I enjoy about that '90s Doom creativity.  Up to E2M3 as I write this going in episode order.

With the aggressive monsters and their fast shots, the projectile hell reminds me more of Raiden (with it's sniper tanks at inconvenient positions and their fast shots) than Touhou.  That's just the shmupper in me talking though.  One particular player blooper is running around a corner recklessly and getting blasted by a baron rocket at close range, ouch.  I've developed a level of paranoia in these maps often getting whittled by sniping monsters because of the one perch I forgot to look towards.

I'll admit it does sometimes feel like I'm just going through the motions.  Does feel "by the book" in various places.  So maps like E1M8 stand out for me simply because they're not meant to be approached with conventional tactics.

A bit put out that I got to the end of E1 without finding M9.  Alas, I haven't figured out how to warp to individual maps.

Edited by Crusader No Regret : For science, tested with Touhou Doom weapons and enemies add-on.

16 hours ago, Crusader No Regret said:

A bit put out that I got to the end of E1 without finding M9.  Alas, I haven't figured out how to warp to individual maps.

If you're using Eternity, typing IDCLEV followed by the number of the episode and the number of the map, the same as IDCLEV in Doom 1. So to warp to E1M9 it would be IDCLEV 19. In both Zdoom and Eternity you can open the console and type 'Map' followed by 'E*M*' for the map you wish to visit.

As for it reminding you of a different SHMUP than Touhou. The connection to Touhou is surface level at best. Touhou was picked because it provided song titles to make map names out of that would be more word salad than even BTSX a la "Big Chief Chinese Restaurant", I've actually never played any of the Touhou games and know basically nothing about the series beyond common memes.

CZCXZC.jpg.4f67ac216f4ee6871588a234196db1e9.jpg

A bit different than other covers, lol

But awesome wad, where can I find the complete list of maps? Also, should it be called TPH, projectile hell or tarnsman's projectile hell?

Edited by game

7 hours ago, game said:

But awesome wad, where can I find the complete list of maps?

It's in the text file but I can put it here for convenience.

Spoiler

E1M1: Apparitions Stalk the Night
E1M2: Evening Primrose
E1M3: Nostalgic Blood of the East
E1M4: The Bridge People No Longer Cross
E1M5: The Dark Road of the Apotropaic God
E1M6: Retribution for the Eternal Night
E1M7: Let's Live In A Lovely Cemetery 
E1M8: Reach For The Moon, Immortal Smoke
E1M9: Voile, the Magic Library

E2M1: Shrine at the Foot of the Mountain
E2M2: Plain Asia
E2M3: Retrospective Kyoto
E2M4: Led On by a Cow to Visit Zenkou Temple
E2M5: Welcome to the Moon Tour
E2M6: Lunatic Princess
E2M7: The Far Side of the Moon
E2M8: The Sea Where One's Home Planet Reflects
E2M9: Tomorrow Will Be Special; Yesterday Was Not

E3M1: Bhavaagra As Seen Through a Child's Mind
E3M2: Love-colored Master Spark
E3M3: A Popular Location
E3M4: The Centennial Festival for Magical Girls
E3M5: Dr. Latency's Freak Report
E3M6: The Doll Maker of Bucuresti
E3M7: Strange, Strange Instruments 
E3M8: This Dull World's Unchanging Pessimism
E3M9: Dimension of Reverie

E4M1: Lullaby for a Deserted Hell
E4M2: Necrofantasia
E4M3: Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship
E4M4: Border of Life
E4M5: Septette for the Dead Princess:
E4M6: Scarlet Beyond a Crimson Dream,
E4M7: Crimson Beyond a Fleeting Eternity,
E4M8: For all the Debts You Have Accumulated ~ Now Until the Moment You Die!
E4M9: U.N. Owen was Her?

Spoiler

eEXqwhu.png

U6EEeB2.png

It's a bit of a mess, I should try smaller text, shouldn't I?

EDIT: fixed version. Let me know if something may need improving here.

Also, where should those secret map be placed?

Edited by game

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking what maps you access the secret levels from?

8 minutes ago, Tarnsman said:

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking what maps you access the secret levels from?

Probably asking where the secret map should be placed in the map list.

Like for example in vanilla Doom, e1m9 is accessed from e1m3. Would you prefer e1m9 be placed after e1m8, or prefer it be placed after e1m4?