Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sotenga

Saltiest Doom moment that you recall?

What moment in Doom has pissed you off the most that you can remember? Whether it involves getting obliterated on a map, a frustrating coding roadblock, or a progress-wiping glitch, post here to let us know!

While maybe not the MOST frustration I've ever had, a recent moment I recall was playing through Hell to Pay and thinking that the fifteenth stage, Captain Bellows, was one of the best stages in the wad that I had played yet. It was tightly paced and just the right dose of challenge. However, near the end of the level (which, by the way, is actually a spaceship), you grab a spacesuit (really just a radsuit) and step outside the ship in "zero-gravity." It's a cute idea... for like three seconds until I almost immediately picked up on how screwed up this segment was. The "zero-gravity" simulation is really just a bunch of invisible platforms at various elevations that gets confusing to navigate, and you're assaulted by several enemies during this part, most deviously an Arachnotron who acts like a turret behind a semi-visible grate that nearly blew off all my life. I was mortified that I had to go into map 31 after this deceit, and wouldn't you know it, map 31 turned out to be one of the most painful health-starving maps of the entire set. Captain Bellows' quality tanking so flagrantly in an attempt to program in a gimmick that completely missed the target really bummed me out. What can I say, blown potential bugs the hell out of me.

Doombuilder X decided to have a very 'unhappy error' occur, and I ended up losing my entire map - backups and everything, lol. Luckily it was only a deathmatch map that took 3 hours to make, and not something else!

But yeah, I was pretty rattled. I recreated it from memory, so nothing lost - more a time frustration than anything... :)

I have never been frustrated and slammed my desk more often than when playing Doom.

Sometimes I'm surprised I haven't been sent off to a psych ward with how bad it is.

Spoiler

"64 damage, are you fucking kidding me?"

"Of course, the Cyber won't do anything because that's how Doom's jank AI works..."

"Wow, I can't even play my own damn map because of RNG"

"Alright, time to get lucky in this arena"

"Wow, I survived that first try because of luck"

[Revenant repeatedly fires projectiles, all homing and unavoidable in the current situation] "Yeah, fuck you too!"

"Will you SHOOT ALREADY??"

"Out of all the places that asshole could've moved..."

Various phrases like these are usually accompanied with a clenched fist meeting a desk or keyboard.

If you need an example of what I'm playing - I have played and beaten a lot of Ribbiks' mapsets on UV. I've played both Scythes. I've played a few unique slaughtermaps here and there. I've made a lot of difficult maps myself. I don't intend to be a good player or compare myself to others, but I want to keep at my skill level and enjoy myself without going insane...

These phrases can even apply to easy maps.

The irony is real, because I love the game for what it is, and I love mapping for it.

I've been streaming more as of recently, to give certain people an idea of what I mean when I say that I get frustrated more often than what people see.

DOOM 2016 MULTIPLAYER. oh goodness the amount of times I slam my desk because the grenade launcher does not do much damage and dying from it is absurd. also there is getting one shot by a super shotgun and one shot by a bfg when I finally get to play as a demon. and also when i lose in a 1 v 2. ya I think you get the point.

Would probably have to be between losing hours of progress on a work in progress thanks to any of the following; Doom Builder crashing accidentally, overwriting while SLADE and Doom Builder are open at the same time, or unsolicited Windows Updates - OR speedrunning on nightmare and getting shit spawn luck that ruins what would otherwise be an impeccable run.

I don't really rage that much at games, but sometimes doom makes me angry enough to the point of where i broke a bottle over my desk once.

Go 2 It when I first played it. I tried doing it with no saves and I kept getting my ass-kicked either mid-level or at the very end. It took me almost 100 tries before I gave up and saved before the final battle with the trio of cyberdemons.

Back when I was not very good at doom, I tried dipping my toes into UV, obviously since I wasn't as good as I am now, I got my shit pushed in. Let's just say that my very old keyboard back in 2004 sure was crunched.

You have to learn to laugh at the bullshit modus in maps to enjoy alot of custom pwads.

The more rng, cheap, and unfair it is the funnier it is 👍🏻

Eventually you enjoy laughing at unfair cheap shit until you start beating it and it becomes the only thing you can enjoy.

Pic related is funny

picrel 2002ado.JPG

Every time you try to run past a bunch of monsters in a small corridor, but you're too late and the monster's gang up on you and rape you. That moment is a moment of despair, failure, and extreme pain.

Spoiler

Mine is... this review about dimweird.pk3

dimweird.pk3 had some horrible visual bugs on software renderer, that are bugs from the original sigtagny.wad

So, i learned that i have to test also in software mode

(those are fixed)

At the time i didnt knew what "salty" means.

Edited by URROVA

1:11:28 mark.

Those moments when you are getting away from something and a Spectre not only blocks you from moving and you can't see them but somehow shaves off large ammounts of health off in 2 bites and a well shot imp fireball ends you. 

Then you forgot to save a map back cause you were in the zone. 

I don't rage at games. I get a bit salty but it is only expressed in deep sighs and calm swearing. However, I think I haven't gotten as salty in any Doom wad before or since playing ProDoomer. The entire play through of ProDoomer had me at my saltiest.

My parents upgraded Windows 98 SE to Windows 2000 which i still consider as a downgrade. I didn't know fuck all about source ports and the only thing i knew was clicking on DOOM2.EXE and the PC wouldn't run it. 

I got a bit salty pistol starting Doom 64's Hectic on "Watch Me Die" with fast monsters and no quicksaves. Decino made it look so easy! Still haven't finished it haha. Will one day try it again once I get the motivation to live-die-repeat for another few hours.

I despise Revenants, but I absolutely hate them on open arenas. The seeker missiles are a huge pain in the ass if you can't find any kind of cover. I've had my few share of ''FUCK YOU CUNT'' moments against them. Heh. Lucky me, I found the solution.

Also, the small delay of the rocket launcher making me shit my face against a pillar or a Lost-Soul. Random bastards.

Also, the enterity of Community Chest 1 was frustrating as hell. One of the few megawads I was really suffering through. Each map felt like a huge chore.

And finally, Scythe 2 from MAP25 and up gets just way too fucking hard for my taste. I find it curious because one of the hardest maps is probably MAP23, but the difficulty feels so tactical, so strategic that I find the gameplay fascinating, on the other hand, the last maps are pure madness, BFG-spam and pretty much slaughter. I'm not a big fan of that kind of combat, but I can see the charm of it.

Eternal Doom, map 30. Even with modded gameplay, it's a fucking torture.

That's all.

When you think you have destroyed a room of baddies and you have survived with just 1-5% health remaining, you run for the nearest medikit only to get killed by an unsuspecting zombieman you are unaware about.

9 hours ago, MFG38 said:

'Nuff said.

People love non linear maps but the big non linear maps can feel like a maze sometimes. Probably the reason why my own maps are more linear.

Pretty much every time i *think* i dodged a revenant missile, only for it to turn around and hit me in the back.

Also Doom 3's Hell level when i was younger, i was pretty bad and didn't know how to quicksave so i got stuck in that thing for years pretty much.

12 minutes ago, Mayomancer said:

Pretty much every time i *think* i dodged a revenant missile, only for it to turn around and hit me in the back.

That happens to me all the time. It's daily for me

i don't typically get angry at games, but...the final episode of scythe 2 pretty much broke me lmao

Any time a map warps in a revenant ambush from multiple angles or throws multiple point-blank arch-viles at you with no good cover is a good way to have me utter "CREATIVELY BANKRUPT".

Just now, Fairen said:

Any time a map warps in a revenant ambush from multiple angles

but that's fun ):