Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sotenga

Saltiest Doom moment that you recall?

Any map that goes "you know what, let's put 25 monster spawners here so the final fight arena turns into nuts.wad in ten seconds haha you'd better solve the puzzle to kill the Romero head before your computer fries lol"

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Any map that goes "you know what, let's put 25 monster spawners here so the final fight arena turns into nuts.wad in ten seconds haha you'd better solve the puzzle to kill the Romero head before your computer fries lol"

oh yeah, i forgot - icon of sin maps. those genuinely do piss me off

I was playing Team Rocket, and I accidentally saved after dying.
It may be the "saltiest" moment I've ever had in Doom.

14 hours ago, Hitboi said:

you can save after dying?

5 minutes ago, roadworx said:

you can save after dying?

Yes, and relying on muscle memory can make you save accidentally on death

Last month when I was doing full game doom 2 speedrun attempts, I was getting very very salty about it around the end. My furthest attempt without getting to the end made it to map 27, Monster Condo. On that to skip actually having to play the entire level, you just get the archevile to open the door for you by running into it, or you pushing them into it. Well my first time in an actual run getting to that point the archevile did not cooperate at all and decided to instead zap me nearly to death (which takes a while cause there's a little red stump in the ground to mitigate the splash damage), and then run into the teleporter next to the door and away, meaning i couldn't do this strategy anymore and I was very very close to death. I did give the level a try normally but I very quickly died going for the first key at the health I was at.

Also, I was playing on a hard map.
But I completed it, not very painful to play.

8 hours ago, 1Destro3456 said:

Yes, and relying on muscle memory can make you save accidentally on death

Yeah, I sometimes save without thinking hard, specially on maps that require skill.

abandoned the abandon wad at map09. way too difficult for me. perhaps will try again in 5 years time.

update: just encountered another super salty episode. currently learning how to create maps in doom. when tried to create a test scene for my 2nd wad using only vanilla settings (gzdoom udmf), ultimate doom builder r3764 (64-bit) could not save the nodes properly. often had to use "save to" another wad file. gzdoom 4.5.0 also faced problems rendering the scene. the pillars that did not render correctly were correctly rendered when approached. confirmed as a udb and gzd limitation :P

screenshots:

Spoiler

oweVlHm.jpgCXfsXBm.pngTM3gTGh.jpg

Edited by terminator

Three chaingunners in the exit room with 1 health and I got killed by the last one after two minutes of pussyfooting around the door.

Hmm....

Most recent one to come to mind:

5cDQyRr.png

(Doom 2 in Spain Only m05, "Los Tuneles de Residuos")

Important context: deathblow dealt by a lone zombieman named Luisito

I've had my heated moments (especially with hardcore / slaughter maps), everyone knows that. I'd say my biggest one in recent times was me dropping Blade of Agony chapter 3 about two maps in. The intense frustration I felt through the secret map already had put me in a sour mood, so when it was time to continue into the second mission, I just couldn't. It was impossible for me to keep going. At that very moment, all was pain. This of course happened live, so everyone could witness my descent into madness, my metamorphosis into a salt elemental.

4 hours ago, Demon of the Well said:

deathblow dealt by a lone zombieman named Luisito

Does he laughed like the Risitas?

When I played DOOM 2 for the first time, I got stuck in map28, because I didn't know you had to shoot a random wall to open a room.

I'd say definitely when I was trying to UV-Max The Mucus Flow from pistol start and no saves. Took me a few weeks, and a good amount of my sanity will never recover from it, but at least I can say I beat it! It did feel great to finish, but man was it one of the most difficult and frustrating things I've ever done in my life.

First time through the city levels in Doom 2. This was before I knew about IDCLEV. I stopped playing Doom for like 2 months during my attempt of Industrial Zone. Nowadays I just noclip through it, because I don't have the patience for that shit.

Most salt huh? ok let me try to think of them..

1) Cacodemons in complex doom. Homing missiles that are more accurate than a revenant, flies around, can dash in the air, instakills you if the game decides to, can attack through some weapon stunlock, rare ones replace normal cacos so you never know when you will face a death machine. Revenants were at least super nerfed over time until they were basically vanilla revenants with slightly more damage. Cacos remained super buff killing machines til the very last version.

2) That one slayer gate in Doom eternal with a possessed Marauder before the fights got nerfed.

3) I have a heretic mod that makes most monsters able to shoot while moving or getting shot. Now you might wonder why the hell would anyone subject themselves to such violence ( imagine disciples\ghost knights moving toward you instead of standing still to cast their spell\axes, BOOM DEAD ) and the answer is YES WHY NOT. I think E4M1 and every single map that has a minotaur were salt mines. Now to make a patch that makes minotaurs dodge powered up phoenix rod with charge attacks :P.

Got to Barrels o' Fun in my recent Doom 2 pistol-start playthrough.  I almost skipped the level because that corridor with the pain elementals near the beginning, that shit is so horribly designed.  I probably will skip that level in future plays, it's just terrible.  I'd rather play Nirvana ten times in a row.

I was fighting a baron one day, with a rocket launcher. In comes a door closing in front of me but I was too small-brained to notice it or maybe I thought the rocket could still hit the baron but then BOOM! The rocket hit the door instead, and then I died.

I ate a whole cup of salt that day because I didn't save.

Uh.... almost every level of "Going Down"

There is so much salt that you can preseve a small cow.

Losing about 4 hours of progress on a map you worked on because UDB crashed, so you sit in silence as you recreate the map from your memory while filled with disappointment and pain, would have probably gotten alot more salty but I am used to using Hammer Editor.

23 hours ago, INfront95 said:

At least they are short enough to maximize pain per minute!

23 hours ago, INfront95 said:

aw, sorry you had a bad time with it ):

On 7/2/2021 at 5:40 AM, INfront95 said:

Lower the difficulty? Going Down is a challenging wad afterall.

2 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Lower the difficulty? Going Down is a challenging wad afterall.

I didnt say that i hate this wad, you can enjoy it and still be salty.

all the times i was playing survival in multplayer and someone decided to pass in front of me when i am firing rockets

I played and suffered through a Slaughtermap wad using Brutal Doom not knowing what slaughtermaps are and what I'm getting myself into.

I tried to 100% everything, very least monster kills as that's my usual goal in Doom.

After a few maps I got very fatigued and frustrated. I declared I hate slaughtermaps. You can't hate them though, I was just being salty at the time. They're just not for me.

2 hours ago, Giant Jumbo Jellyfish said:

Everytime I forget to save after making significant progress in a map.

Would be a shame if a revenant crits for 80 now!