Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teo Slayer

What do you think about the Pinkies?

I like them both to use them as a mapper and play against them. Pinkies are interesting because of how they act so they can be meat shields to other enemies and if there are many pinkies in a single fight you need to be wary so they don't trap you in one spot and kill you. As a mapper I like to use them for the same reasons already stated because I can use them to protect other monsters. 

Like all the demons, the Pinkies provide a great balance along with everything else. Like Destro said, They're basically wandering bullet sponges that work as meat-shields for the other demons. They run around rather quickly and can bite hard AND have a large presence can quickly make them a pain to maneuver around in large fights and block your path, which makes them a priority target for me at certain times. They're definitely not to be underestimated as a pack of them can corner, envelope and overwhelm you quickly if you're not careful.

5 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Like all the demons, the Pinkies provide a great balance along with everything else. Like Destro said, They're basically wandering bullet sponges that work as meat-shields for the other demons. They run around rather quickly and can bite hard AND have a large presence can quickly make them a pain to maneuver around in large fights and block your path, which makes them a priority target for me at certain times. They're definitely not to be underestimated as a pack of them can corner, envelope and overwhelm you quickly if you're not careful.

this pretty much sums it up perfectly - they're essentially mobile obstacles. when used well they can be a major threat and make fights much, MUCH harder. i don't use them very often in my maps, but when i do it's usually to act as a way to limit the player's space.

The Doom 64 Pinky is my favorite Doom monster of all time. I'm planning on getting it tattooed on me one day.

They are the best! You can bonk them with berserk and it's extremely satisfying, but they can easily overwhelm you with combination of other demons. So they can be used in easy settings and in challenging situations.

Have you ever had that moment where you were playing doom and you are in a room with a bunch of pinkies and you do not have a lot of ammo and suddenly you make the wrong move out of sheer compulsion and then you get cornered, and when that realization hit you go through the 5 stages of grief and ultimately accept your fate?

Pinkies are evil in situations like these, but specters are worse.

But I like them, their design and everything. Just evil little bullet/fist sponges that may create a minor annoyance.

Edited by Kuro_mahoh : *the

I happen to love them. I like how square looking and hunched over they are. Stocky little pink bullet sponges...

50 minutes ago, Arrowhead said:

I happen to love them. I like how square looking and hunched over they are. Stocky little pink bullet sponges...

They make me WANT them to eat me, they've got big mouths after all.

I love how mappers use pinkies in long hallways to make you face multiple pinkies but one at the time. Bonus point if there multiple hallways with more pinkies that connect with you way.

I always imagined, they are basically an implementation of the “dog” enemy from Wolf 3D. No, they’re not the same beings, but the concept of an enemy that moves around quite fast and is melee only is the same, but the pinkie doesn’t die with a single shot, all of the time. That makes them more menacing alone and a much larger threat in groups. 

The advantage of the dog from Wolf 3D is they are always moving, even before the player has been spotted or heard from them, and they can kill you much faster alone and especially in groups once you’ve been circled by them.

So, yeah, I like the pink demons because they are like the guard dogs of the Demons. 

Edited by Gerolf

One of the worst enemies in the game.

but also...

One of the best enemies in the game when you turn on -fast.

They are absolutely non-threatening on normal speed and pretty much only beneficial to the player.

Though monsters that want to eat you is essential to a good FPS. The way pinkies move in Brutal Doom makes them really good. I like it when they start infighting. Especially with imps. But I`m always trying to find better sprites. Something with horns or xenomorph-like. What do you think about dark red with green eyes? Should I add a charging Lostsoul attack? Something definitely missing is an explosion sequence when you frag them. Don`t forget about the invisible version. Both shotguns works wonders with this demon in the hands of a patient spacemarine...

SARGC2C8.png

SARGO0.png

2 minutes ago, Naarok0fkor said:

. What do you think about dark red with green eyes? Should I add a charging Lostsoul attack? Something definitely missing is an explosion sequence when you frag them. Don`t forget about the invisible version.

SARGC2C8.png

SARGO0.png

Those looks good, the Lost Soul attack, I'm not sure, depends on the way you implement it, really as long as it isn't frustrating to the player

55 minutes ago, 1Destro3456 said:

Those looks good, the Lost Soul attack, I'm not sure, depends on the way you implement it, really as long as it isn't frustrating to the player

The lostsoulattack is to have the pinky charge in Doom2 like in Brutal Doom. I wonder if it would work just before the sargattack...

I would prefer if they had a better attack range. They had a little bit bigger attack range in Doom v1.2 and it made a big difference. You were more likely to get killed by them. In the PSX version, they have (i think) double their attack range, which makes it an even better enemy to fight. In vanilla Doom, they are basically bullet sponges that never kill you, just like the lost souls (they have their own problems such as getting stuck in ground items when charging and not being aggressive enough, not to mention that they have the properties of a goldfish). The only time I can get bitten by a pinky is by running into it (running in its direction while touching it because I'm stuck and trying to get away). 

Furthermore, pinkies are worse at melee attacks than Imps because they have a bigger radius and the attack range is calculated from their center. It's a bummer, because being good at melee attacks is their only job! A big monster like this should have more range, if you look at them from the side, you can see how far they extend their neck when attacking. 

image.png.6d5750a6fdbaf9f0258f5ddfaaf56be6.png

tl;dr: It's a missed opportunity, this monster offers no challenge because it's broken (except in the PSX version because the developers fixed them). 

During my first playthrough of Doom 2, being able to one-shot them with the SSG was what immediately sold me on the weapon so I thank them for that.

They're okay, just some weaklings. Sometimes, their Partially-Invisible counterpart, Spectres can be annoying.

How The Fuck Are Pinkies Real Hahahaha Bruh Just Use The Chainsaw Like Bro Use Your Super Shotty Haha

They have their purpose as being meat shields that can soak up damage. They're pretty easy to deal with once you know how to exploit their bite attack. I don't hate them. I DO however take issue with the Nightmare variant introduced in PSX DOOM because then they're absolute bullet sponges that can take like 2 or 3 SSG blasts to take down. That's pretty annoying to deal with.

Pros about Pinkies; if you're low on ammo and quickly got to run to grab some packs, at least they are melee so you don't have to worry about them shooting stuff at you

Cons about Pinkies; you're surrounded by them in a tight space or mob and you're being chewed to death and if you're low on ammo you're dead

Yeah so.... I kinda hate having a ton of them... especially spectres in dark rooms....

11 hours ago, Naarok0fkor said:

I like it when they start infighting.

It cracks me everytime, they're like:
Pinky: HERE'S DOOMGUY. I'M GOING TO KILL HIM
*Gets hit by an Imp from accident*
Pinky: Forget him, I AM GOING TO KILL THE MORTAL WHO DARES TO HIT ME