Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

Favourite wads of 2002?

With 2002 about to disappear (over here anyway), this question has to be asked:

What were your 5 favourite wads of 2002?

Mine (in no particular order) are:

Dark 7 (and mission pack 1)
2002: A DooM Odyssey
Sinful Discharge (Heretic)
Slayer
Project Slipgate (and Dissolution)

Honourable mentions to: DSV4, Redux, Captain Mancubus, Underworld beta 4 and Nimrod.

(Shadowcaster and Licence to Spell DooM would be in there too, but I decided not to count them as they're my own...)

All I can think of is Alien Vendetta right now. The Darkening : episode 2. I don't know if it was release this year but I remember enjoying that megawad.

Darkstalker said:

The Darkening : episode 2.

Heh. That was released like three years ago or something. But thanks anyway ;)

License to Spell Doom was a good one, despite the bugs (probably fixed by now though).
Null Space would be a favorite of 2002, but it was released December of last year.

By the way Ultimate Doomer, did you try the one I made for Hexen back in August yet? It's only the first six maps though.

I'd just like to point out that Slayer and Alien Vendetta were released in 2001.

My five (in no particular order) are:
DSV4
2002 ADO
Dark 7
Alex Parson's series (ap_00x)
One Bloody Night

Honorable Mentions to: Captain Mancubus, License to Spell Doom, Nimrod and Caverns of Darkness.
For Heretic: Sinful Discharge and Shadowcaster.

I think these were all 2002...
bldnight
2002ADO
ap_009
grind2x
retroeps
ruma
blinded
legobase
deleted2
eaeuro03
snq
swmort04
easpd3
xfire maps
idunno
ritesmit
dark7
ch_ep2
av46e1m7
.. speedmaps

C_cooper will have something to say about this.

I guess that is more than 5...

Ichor said:

License to Spell Doom was a good one, despite the bugs (probably fixed by now though).
Null Space would be a favorite of 2002, but it was released December of last year.

By the way Ultimate Doomer, did you try the one I made for Hexen back in August yet? It's only the first six maps though.

The bugs are all fixed except the map 6 one you mentioned, as I'd uploaded it before I saw the post. (and it was the 24th)

I certainly did play Fury, and here's what I dug up from the newstuff archives:

"Played Carnage Galore III and it's really great. Although I couldn't save (which affected the experience) I still enjoyed it. Good level designs, the tome works really well and the market system was really cool! (In fact I had to rely on that quite a bit as a source of ammo)
The new creatures made it a lot tougher too, although the gameplay wasn't quite as extreme as the previous Carnage Galore episodes. (it was still really tough, though). Definitely a worthy download."

Incidentally, it was crashing with 'savegame corrupt' bugs (and I wasn't even using Legacy...) but having just got RtCW (and hence DirectX 8) I'll try it with a newer version of JHexen (if it's compatible with newer versions).

Nope, it was designed with version .996, and so will the full version. I don't think changing it over to a more recent version would be worth all that trouble.

2002ADO and Alien Vendetta (not sure if that was this year or last year) are up there...Chris Hansen's retro wad is good too...dome1m3 and av46e1m7 are can't-misses :P

Map 7 (big, icy, mountainous area) is done, and map 8 is about halfway done. Once that map is done, it should go a little quicker. Still, it will take quite a while to finish the whole thing.

(in order)
1-Dissoloution
2-Dark 7
3-License to Spell DooM
4-1NUKPLANT.wad
5-1337.wad

Hey, I got 2 honorable mentions so far!

Ultimate DooMer said:

Honourable mentions to: DSV4, Redux, Captain Mancubus, Underworld beta 4 and Nimrod.

Which Underworld Beta 4 are you talking about? The unofficial re-release or the new one a few posts down from here?

This year I was a big fan of CH-Retro, Alien Vendetta (Re-released so it kinda counts) and 2002 ADO.

Hey, someone mentioned one of my levels. I so happy.

Although it was the second version that I didn't like as much as the first version. =P Hopefully the third (last) version that will be coming out with the final copy of the whole episode will be good.

As for myself, I'd say AV. =P

Lazer said:

Which Underworld Beta 4 are you talking about? The unofficial re-release or the new one a few posts down from here?

The one which I reviewed a while back. (haven't had chance to play the new one yet)

Fredrik said:

Vrack 2 remained the best WAD still in 2002, entirely unchallenged.

Best single map wad, maybe...

Fredrik said:

Vrack 2 remained the best WAD still in 2002, entirely unchallenged.

Yeah maybe, but we've all played it to death by now. We want Vrack3!
Alien Vendetta was definitely the Megawad of 2002 even though it was released at the end of 2001.
One Bloody Night series is great.
Console Doom is supurb.
Dark7 of course.
2002ado for sure.
...and many of the others mentioned, good list Opulent.:)
I also really enjoyed the Blind Alley series and AP series.

Alien Vendetta (revised)
Hell Revealed (waiting for the sequel to be finished!)
2002: A doomer's odyssey
Requiem
Retro episode 1 for Doom

Mr. Chris said:

Hell Revealed
Requiem

ROFL, Requiem was released almost 5 1/2 years ago (in fact, it will be exactly 5 1/2 in three days time)! :)

Hell Revealed was released even longer ago than that. I'm not sure of the exact date it came out, but I've been a member of the Doom community for 6 1/2 years, and HR was around since before I got here ;)

NiGHTMARE said:

Hell Revealed was released even longer ago than that. I'm not sure of the exact date it came out, but I've been a member of the Doom community for 6 1/2 years, and HR was around since before I got here ;)

A fine testament to its' greatness, it's still the best megawad around bar none imo.:)

NiGHTMARE said:

Hell Revealed ... I'm not sure of the exact date it came out

The files are dated 3rd May 1997, and this wasn't a rerelease:

Yonatan Donner said at http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/4704/hr.html:
Hell Revealed took a year and a half to make. It was finished on April 1997 and released in the beginning of May.

BTW, if we're also including wads released in 2001 that have appeared in newstuff in 2002, then Murderous Intent would be in my top five for sure.

I really liked 2002 ADO, theres a lot of other megawads I love, but this one really stands out imo.

Here's another question:

What are going to be the best wads of 2003? :)

EDIT: Looks the first one is already here! :)