Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ar_e_en

Places where you think the map author should have placed a secret.

When secret hunting - you might find a very specific place where a secret area being there makes sense to you, but later it turns out that there was no such secret in this place. Do you have any areas from the vanilla maps or user made maps where you think to yourself: "You know, if the author put a secret here - that would be really neat!"?

An example:

doom00.png.e32fe39dbed0f1ac9b0c42915ab895ba.png

The guys from id could have had one of these map 04 computer walls open up to a little secret goody!

1709881917_punchthis.png.f64d6b4359189413c6710c7505193efe.png

Playing through Rowdy Rudy II and came across this lone Pepsi machine in the middle of MAP12. Unfortunately, interacting with it in any way doesn't result in anything happening.

Funny idea I had was since you come across Coke machines in the previous maps and they usually have items like health bonuses in front of them; or are sometimes secret doors that you interact with that leads to goodies, why not make it so that you have to punch/shoot this Pepsi machine to unveil a secret? It would also be a funny way to show through gameplay Rudy's preference of Coke over Pepsi.

That one secret in Doom II's MAP25 (Bloodfalls) that has nothing in it on Ultraviolence should have another secret within it that only contains something on UV.

Eviternity's first few levels should have had something cool behind all those huge stone panels decorated with reliefs. Alternatively, and less seriously, there should be a secret behind every wall I'm suspicious enough to hit my Use key against.

they should have put a backpack behind a hidden wall in the water near the 'well' secret in the gantlet...

...oh wait they did that after version 1.8

Requiem MAP24 is known for its starvation gameplay but there is a super secret ammo cache if you examine a hallway wall closely and then go down a lift, which seems to have the brunt of the supplies.

personally lousy at discerning secret walls. but at the same time believe some mappers lightly sprinkle parts of their normal walls with odd textures to tease the player in a good way.

On 5/26/2021 at 4:03 AM, Shepardus said:

That one secret in Doom II's MAP25 (Bloodfalls) that has nothing in it on Ultraviolence should have another secret within it that only contains something on UV.

That one was a weird one. They should have at least put some ammo pickups there on UV.

Hmmm.....

I have one. Map 3 of Doom 2, backpack found in the middle area, near where the other secret is.

I don't know why that isn't tagged as a secret.

Someone mentioned The Inmost Dens and....yup, at least 3 non-tagged secrets should be tagged as such.

I don't have a particular map in mind. Well I can refer to my wad when watching some people attempt it.

Waterfalls. Where there is one in any fps, you go through it for secrets. It's an unspoken rule.

Edited by Chezza

On 5/28/2021 at 2:12 AM, leodoom85 said:

Hmmm.....

I have one. Map 3 of Doom 2, backpack found in the middle area, near where the other secret is.

I actually didn't know about that "non-secret" secret for quite a while, only found out about it like 2 or 3 years ago.

Romero had a rule, that if you can see outside, you should be able to reach it. So in doom 2 map 29, there should have been a secret way to get "outside" of the cave and reach that spot in the northwest where the imps shoot you from.

5 hours ago, Polri said:

Romero had a rule, that if you can see outside, you should be able to reach it. So in doom 2 map 29, there should have been a secret way to get "outside" of the cave and reach that spot in the northwest where the imps shoot you from.

There is a way to get there. I remember that it involves teleporting use.