Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kan3

[Completed] Declared New Apocalypse - Doom II Megawad

6 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Ooooh, those screenshots... Colour me intrigued. :^)

Thank you :)

it means that I did a good job with the screenshots at least x))

Minor update:
I've added animation to some textures (used in map12) and I started to work on map07 and the second boss (this one is testable in map90, I'd like to have some feedback about his attack patterns, even if he's missing the new sprites fro now)

good start bro, here's a demo of me playing MAP01 (and a bit of MAP02). Recorded with GZDoom 4.5.0

Looks like it requires hardware acceleration, I saw HOMs in the sky when I used software rendering

dnademo.zip

12 hours ago, tib_ said:

good start bro, here's a demo of me playing MAP01 (and a bit of MAP02). Recorded with GZDoom 4.5.0

Looks like it requires hardware acceleration, I saw HOMs in the sky when I used software rendering

dnademo.zip

Thank you for your demo!
Yeah, I'll add it in infos in this post, it's cause of I haven't set a skybox in those maps and I simply left untextured walls so that the ceiling sky will just cover them, not thinking this was a hardware accel. feature. Thank you for pointing this out

2 hours ago, tib_ said:

Recorded a demo of MAP02, same setup as demo 1

dnademo2.zip

Nice! I could already see a couple of bad gameplay ideas I got for this map x) gonna change them next
I have to say that unfortunately no one of these maps (except for 1 and 6) are meant to be played pistol start, I haven't thought about this mechanic (probably good idea to add this "support"), so if you're willing to go further, I suggest you to give yourself a shotgun at least x)
And thanks again

13 hours ago, tib_ said:

Here's another one for MAP03. Sorry, but its a long one that I couldn't complete

dnademo3.zip

Cool! No problem, I already know this is a tedious map, but I do love this kind of oppressive maze concept (I even cut the length of this in a half, but still...) and you're even completing it with pistol start, that's really impressive actually. Unfortunately, I haven't tested it without freelook and as you can see, the "shoot the eye" secret wasn't working cause the aim is a bit too low, I'll fix that.
You're almost at the end btw :D

UPDATE: I found out that I was loading my wad with tons of useless textures, so I've cleaned up, adjusted a bit the organization down there and made some very minero improvements to some maps (oh and map 7 is almost done, I only need to arrange 1 more room and the boss fight)

Here's a demo of MAP04 with version 1.2 of DNA.

absolutely pumped that I had plenty of ammo to use in this level when I started with only a pistol

dnademo4.zip

11 hours ago, tib_ said:

Here's a demo of MAP04 with version 1.2 of DNA.

absolutely pumped that I had plenty of ammo to use in this level when I started with only a pistol

dnademo4.zip

Ahahah glad it "works" and they're not too few even without some secret, neither too many from what I've seen.
Time to put those missing texture again (damn you auto-texture-remove tool!) and, perhaps, block the sound in the red key room, since revenants weren't supposed to wake up before getting the key x))

UPDATE: I finally finished map 7 and the second boss pattern, even if I still need to texture him.
I've repaired some minor bug in some map thanks to tib_, improved a bit some mechanics in map 3 and 6 and slightly improved the first boss behavior and attacks.
Unfortunately I had no time to draw the second boss texture yet, so for now it's just a huge pissed Mancubus x) and I cannot find a way to get rid of a bug in one of his attack pattern, but luckly it won't break the fight in any way.

Okay, following your request for a review, here's a video of me playing Map 1 & 2 in Walp:

Thoughts about Map 1: Pretty interesting intro, running from the altered Cybie. My actual first thought was "Seriously an insta-death-trap?" but fortunately its not a rocket firing Cybie. Second part had serious E4 vibes; and the blood-related lost souls are interesting. The end part makes it kinda hard to spot and snipe the attacking Imps as they blend into the bars; and crossing without doing so is quite dangerous (as you can see me failing with near the end lol).

Map 2: Much bigger map. First of all, for whatever reason the Caco-Trap at the exit didn't lower the barriers (or maybe I'm just hugely impatient, lol) so I had to use Fly to get over it. I would also say this map is really stingy on Health and Ammo towards the latter part (ignore the Hell Knights nailing me at the start, that was just garbage play from myself, tired after work lol). I liked most of the combats and they were interesting though.

As a general thought: I love the architecture and its clear you've put work into it; BUUUT, there is still a feeling of homogeneous-ness; there is all wood and brown colours occasionally split by red, and so everything kind of blurs together in a world of brown (what I call 'The Quake 1 effect'), which is a shame because it draws eyes away from the effort you've clearly put into it. Some more different texture usage would be nice (blacks? some of the ubiqutous green marble?).

You've got a good sense of flow; which is a great asset in any mapping. I didn't have to stop and wonder 'what next?' or consult the map, it was always clear where I was going for the most part or after a little wander.

Thank you a lot! and damn if that's a great looking mod!

Yeah, I put those imps behind bars and with a brownish background and stalagmites, so that it's hard to detect where the next fireball's coming cause I'm a bit of an a** x)) (there should've been 2 hellknights inside the bloody room, dunno why they're not there, gonna check)

I'm sorry for the exit, I've set up a script to make the exit block lower after those cacodemons are dead, but it seems that the script got broken (so for the one for the yellow door with hellknights inside9, maybe cause of the way I wrote it, since the other scripts seemed to work fine, that makes it incompatible with the mod.

I see, my laziness in not looking for more textures other than vanilla fo these 2 maps has backfired x) you're probably right, especially in map 2, that is a giant brown rock/brick rift

Very glad to hear that! Years spent in playing doom have served me well :D

UPDATE: Finally I remembered to repair those errors at the start of map 3 and 7 (unknown what's the matter with the error in map 4 and I've decided to not repair map12 error cause it would require some edit I don't like), I found than a little bug in map 5 when testing in in speedrun and one in map 7 in HNTR difficulty, both repaired.
I've decided to delete map99 (where I saved the previous version of map03) cause no one will ever play it and that's a good choice x)
Finally I've started drawing Pestilence's sprites, I made the first 16 for now and I've already added them cause I wanted to see them in game.

Next steps will be adding new textures to map 2 and do an almost complete makeover to map 3, since I'm the only one liking it unfortunately T_T

Map 4 notes: Pretty good overall, some really hairy moments but manageable. I have to say I don't like the fact that when you get teleported back to the central fountain, you're slowed down loads by the blood whilst surrounded by enemies; I would definately get that removed. I'd also say that, if I didn't manage to find the Superarmour and Soulsphere secrets (Urn/Robe in video obviously) that the final Baron version of the fountain ambush would have likely killed me (because the entire surface is always slowing you down as you can see in the video; and I couldn't dodge some hits because of it). Nice texturing throughout this one.

(for those curious, Map 3 was skipped because its a marathon labyrinth I couldn't provide a video for).

11 hours ago, tib_ said:

map05 demo 

you didn't give me enough ammo for that boss fight haha

dnademo5.zip

Damn it!  I hide it too much, might add some around the central court.
I'm sorry for the revenants shooting along that tight corridor, I thought that the auto-vertical aiming would have been able to aim at them, but they're too far away, I think I'll add some cover.
Weird that the railgun seems to have no auto-vertical aiming at all, I might try to fix it.
And Thank you!

43 minutes ago, eharper256 said:

Map 4 notes: Pretty good overall, some really hairy moments but manageable. I have to say I don't like the fact that when you get teleported back to the central fountain, you're slowed down loads by the blood whilst surrounded by enemies; I would definately get that removed. I'd also say that, if I didn't manage to find the Superarmour and Soulsphere secrets (Urn/Robe in video obviously) that the final Baron version of the fountain ambush would have likely killed me (because the entire surface is always slowing you down as you can see in the video; and I couldn't dodge some hits because of it). Nice texturing throughout this one.

(for those curious, Map 3 was skipped because its a marathon labyrinth I couldn't provide a video for).

Nice! Thank you!
I remember I just found out the friction mechanic and I probably overused it x) I'll probably delete it since it's an already narrow space.
Glad to hear about the texturing :D

UPDATE: This one took me a bit more, but I cut in half map 3 and possibly improved aesthetics and gameplay.

Then I completed all of the second boss sprites, modified a couple of scripts to allow more compatibility with mods that change vanilla entities, found a trick that allow autoaim (vertical) when firing with the railgun (more no-freelok friendly now x) ), added sounds to polyobject doors, changed a couple of textures to map 2 to give it more contrast in certain areas, added more ammo in map 5 (no more risk to have to start a fist fight with the boss x) ) and reduced the friction on the blood in map 4 (I didn't remove it cause I want that fight to be more challenging since you have plenty of rockets).

Tried a few maps, and I have to say: For a beginner's wad, this is really good stuff. Hoping to see more from you in the future!

(Playthrough of MAP01 only)

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Tried a few maps, and I have to say: For a beginner's wad, this is really good stuff. Hoping to see more from you in the future!

(Playthrough of MAP01 only)

Thank you very much! :D
The plan is try to become an active member of the community and improve step by step, I've seen "out of the world" level's wads, so I got a few goals x) 

UPDATE: Thanks to the brave playtester above, I've been able to improve (hopefully) a few things.
I've decided to remove an imp variant (too many imps quite similar, too much brown around) and I've modified the other too, creating 2 "improved" version of them: the "Abomination" and the "Gremlin".

I've slightly changed the start of the first map to make it feel a bit more cohesive with the rest of the map, I've a bit more health and ammos in map 2, 3 and 6.
I've then decided to lower a bit more the traps difficulty in map 3.
Made a little change in a room in map 4, changing its music too, so I did for map 2, 6, 7 and 8 (I will add credits to the authors of those midis in the next update cause I forgot, sorry).
I've tweaked a bit the melee revenant and added a melee attack to the super demon (not custom textured yet), but removing his splash damage immunity, and slightly improved Pestilence attacks and room, trying to avoid the possibility of a cheated win.
Last thing, I've gone a bit forward with map 8 and added more custom enemies from realm 667, even if it's becoming too doom 3s style

UPDATE: Oh boy, a month to release this map 8 x) this one took me really a lot of time cause I wanted to concentrate on detailing it and create new (for me, obviously) mechanics. I quite satisfied about the result and it seems that everything's working fine too. I'll admit, however, that maybe it's a kinda hard, but definitely possible even with no secrets and pistol start (don't worry about some unreachable stuff, everything will start to make sense with the next map).
As always, I started to tinker with monster's stats cause I was not satisfied x) but I think I've obtained a nice balanced result.

P.s. this is really a lot doom 3 style x)

On 9/10/2021 at 6:56 AM, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

Hey there! Just watched a playthrough of the graveyard level over here. That map looked absolutely stunning, congratulations! I'll add it to my (far too long) list for future playing!

Thank you very much! Did't know someone tried it on twitch x) let me know what you'll think about it when the day comes :D

On 9/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, Walter confetti said:

Looks really great for a first map!

Thank you!!