Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kan3

[Completed] Declared New Apocalypse - Doom II Megawad

15 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

Any compatibility mode required? Or do I use the default mode?

No other mod required, cause every new texture, weapon or monster have been made or modified by me or they have just been straight copied and pasted inside the .wad.

Just GZDooom 4.5 (or later)

UPDATE: I've re-started to handle my Wad in the middle of September, after over a month and a half, but I'm on my way to finish it (kind of).
First of all: I've almost completed map 09, I only need to finish the last "room", where the boss fight will take place, and draw the texture for the final boss (special thx to the creators of the cyber mastermind from realm667).

I didn't want to update it before map 09 was finished, but " days ago I found what was wrong with the blind pinky from realm667 and I fixed it, so no more blocking corpses!! (To anyone interested in this fix, write me in pvt, it's really an easy fix).

Since map 08 and 09 are strictly connected, I had to make some minor fixes to the first one, then I started to work on how to make those zombie scientists more fearsome and tweaked some other monster too (mostly hitboxes) as so as the grenade launcher's grenade.

And that's all for now!

Feedbacks would really be appreciated on the last 3 maps, since they've only been tested by me and I highly doubt they're balanced at all D:

UPDATE 1.8: Finally releasing it wit map09 complete, as well as the new boss (I only miss 14 sprites, but you won't notice) and wit working health bars for my 3 bosses :D (I hope the scripts won't break with different settings though...)
It has been really hard to put together with my constant will of upgrading map's mechanics via scripting, I really am regretting not having choose computer science back when I was "young" D:

Other than that, I've discovered the magic world of "damage types", so I started messing around a lot! I came out adding several new properties to my bosses and I've added new damage types to doom's weapons as well: now they feel more like real boss fights.
Starting to better comprehend the "secrets" of Decorate functions etc. (Yeah, one day I'll convert everything in ZScript) I've added new abilities to my bosses.

Unfortunately, I found a visual bug in map06 (it literally came out of nowhere, it wasn't there before...), where I had to remove a ladder step from a room, cause it will render infinitely upwards.

I've finished testing this wad as a whole this evening and I fixed every (almost... damn ladder step...) every bug/glitch/issue I've encountered and now, everything it's fully operative (should).

UPDATE 1.9: The Hell has come, Map 10 has been completed (I in desperate need of testers here, cause I've set a specific "game mechanic" and I'm curious to see how it turns out).

This time I've learned how to modify vanilla weapons and replace them, so, since I needed a super shotgun with the ability to mangle demons when close, I started adjusting that one, then I thought about the shotgun and how it's used to snipe... so i modified it's spread. Once I was done with these 2, I started to think about the uselessness of the pistol and upgraded it, while downgrading a bit the chaingun, cause the stunlock is too op in my opinion.

Since everybody hate lost souls, I've reduced their health (take this, stupid skulls) and added a flicker light to them (I've always seen them emitting light in various gameplay and wads, but I couldn't find out what kind of "option" has been used, so I've added a fast GLDEFS).

Having then implemented correctly the fists start mechanic (I've removed the DeHacked patch) and having modified the pistol, I've decided to change the drop of the ZombieMan to be a pistol instead of a clip and changed the amount of bullets a clip gives, from 10 to 20.

I also learned how the Icon of Sin works, so I've decided to add a new variant, tougher and capable of spawning custom monsters from this wad.

I've added 3 new monsters from Realm667 (CacoLich, ZombieFodder and BloodGhost) and since I wasn't really satisfied with them, I started to tweak them (as usual), modifying attack behavior, projectiles, stats and resurrection (yep, beware the zombie fodder's army). I've also modified the ZombieFodder xDeath sprites, cause they were awful for some reason :/.

In the end, I made some minor changes to some other monster and added a couple more Otex textures and mine, that's it.

(I know it's becoming a long journey, but I would largely appreciate feedbacks, especially on this last map cause I've set a tiny specific mechanic that I need it to be tested for balance reasons).

UPDATE 2.0: And I'm here to bother you again with a new update!

This time with another new map (of which I'm quite proud of) with the new boss (yet untextured... I know). The difficulty level has been raised up gradually through the latest maps and here I'd say that it is almost unbeatable without finding any secret, so be careful.

I've even decided to add a new mechanic to the game: TORCH SWITCHES! Like in "true" dark/fantasy castles/mansions. To introduce it, I've decided the modify map10 exit, so that you can experiment this feature straight away.

With that, I've added a chandelier from realm667 cause it fits so well.

Since I've modified some vanilla weapons and since I've been watching Biodegradable gameplays with Smooth Weapons mod, I've decided to implement the mod "Alternative Doom Smooth Weapons" directly into the wad, so that you don't need to use a similar mod that could eventually break some of this wad features.

Even because I've modified the chaingun again, to make it more "chaingun-like" and improved the supershogun "exdeath" feature (I've increased the clip box ammunition to 75 too).

I modified the berserk powerup too, so that it won't forcibly change your weapons to fists.

New 2 monsters have entered the game: the Stone Imp and the Stone Demon. Since both of them already had some damage type property, I've decided to modify it to better fit this wad already existing features, then I've modified their attack strength, health and speed.

About the Stone Imp, I've decided to give it a custom missile attack: it will pull the player to it quite powerfully (it can become really annoying, so kill them as soon as you can with the right weapons).

Then, since in ZDoom "exists" a powerup called Unholy Bible (thanks to wiki I know this has just been discarded from doom's beta), I've decided to bring this into existence! And here you have it, the Unholy Bible powerup.

Before making map11, while I was testing the entirety of the wad, I decided to reduce even more the size of map03 (a 23 minutes run on average knowing the map was definitely too much). I hope now it'd funnier to play and not a boring slap.

I remade some walls in map01, added a few more Otex textures and the usual balancing to some monsters and weapons.

That's all!

Stil in needs of feedbacks though D:

UPDATE 2.1: Here I am again with my usual monthly update x)
I've already released secret map 13, even if it misses the last room with the last boss fight yet, because it will take a while to complete this time.

I finally completed Famine sprites and sounds too.

A proper custom end game intermission screen has been added, of which I'm quite proud even if very basic.

I've tested multiple times the entirety of the wad in search for bugs or something: I found a couple (no game breaking fortunately), plus some misaligned textures.

Then, I've decided to improve a bit some scripts and mechanics with my new knowledge and improved map05 performances too.

I've slightly adjusted some monsters and weapons again, everything should be "perfectly" balanced now. 

That's it for now, I hope I'll be able to release the final version of this project in the last week of January.

Let me know!

Tested this but I keep getting a weird HOM effect on the sky textures.

2033166258_screen1.png.6e5f3aea73ded7ee50d83c8aacfdcc7e.png

Opened the map up in ultimate doom builder, looks like you have some missing textures around the edges of the skybox. You can easily fix this by giving those missing textures a line horizon action just FYI.

846927045_2021-12-27(23).png.32682b4239e9e6a9912246ea6ebae0b1.png

14 minutes ago, Dr Fluffystuff said:

Tested this but I keep getting a weird HOM effect on the sky textures.

I know about that, that's why I said in the info that Hardware Accelerated is needed in Render Mode, otherwise you'll miss every floor/ceiling glow and dynamic light as well.

But, I should probably add that for more compatibility at this point.

Thank you for the tip about Line Horizon!

UPDATE 2.5

The greatest update in this wad history!

Again, I want to thank the testers, because without them I wouldn't be able to reach this point!

There are definitely too many things that I did to write them all, so I will summarize here (to update the post).

• New Relic Hunt added: I've hidden several relics around the maps, finding one means unlocking something in the hub!
  • New Hub added: from here you can re-play every level (unlock the secrets), check the relics that you found (and what you missed), change the skill level, enter a testing zone (where you can test every weapon and powerup, as well as spawn monsters!)
  • Added a new skill level: it is reaaaaally hard, but it can represent a cool challenge due to its features (info in the manual or just test it in game)
  • Added 4 new weapons: from scratch, that you can get by defeating the 4 bosses respectively, with their unique ammo (they are powerful weapons, be careful)
  • I've discovered the magic of "Conversations"
  • I've discovered the magic of "Libraries" and so I've improved the scripting in every map
  • Repaired tons of bugs, improved some map aesthetics, changed musics, skies, textures, added stuff, improved some monsters behaviors and properties etc.
  • Improved map03 (AGAIN) cause I was not satisfied yet
  • Added a Manual with info on monsters, weapons and the new skill level
  • More random stuff that I forgot about.

Thank you if you decide to download this wad and test it!

As always, feel free to criticize and help me improve!

Cheers!

So, how close is this to being finished? It's nice to see these monthly updates, but I'm just not sure if you're planning to have 14 maps in total, or more.

7 hours ago, Dynamo said:

So, how close is this to being finished? It's nice to see these monthly updates, but I'm just not sure if you're planning to have 14 maps in total, or more.

The original plan was to have 13 maps and 4 bosses, so I'd say it's complete, but since I had to much free time in the past months, I started to want more and more stuff to be added (definitely annoying to anyone who wants to play it) cause I hate to "produce" something that can still be improved (in the limits of my capabilities of course).

Anyhow, I'm finishing the last "secret arena mode" (it's missing only 4th phase waves and the last phase) and I'm completely done (hoping I solved every bug).

(I will remove the "real final boss" thing, cause I lost inspiration for it).

FINISHED

yeah, I finally did it!

My first wad is over, completed and fully functional! (I just finished testing it in its entirety, so everything should flow properly).

This is my last update (unless someone finds any kind of gamebreaking or ugly bug/issue, but I won't add anything else, that's for sure), it has been a trip and I want to thank everyone who downloaded and spent time playing it!

Read the Updates to see what I added and, as always, feel free to test it and give me any type of feedback!

I'm planning to release it on idgames and/or other sites in a month or so by now if I get no heavy bug report.

14 hours ago, KP_SapphireMK2 said:

the 4 Boss reminds me of Warhammer 40K Chaos Gods that they are Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, & Tzeentch but they are really look like them

I've just read their description (I've never been into Warhammer) and I can definitely see why of your comparison!

Although, I actually took inspiration from a PsX game called Apocalypse (and the Bible, of course). 

I played one of these. Cool unexpected stuff. Liked the very well constructed hell theme. Good times. 

10 hours ago, Clippy said:

I played one of these. Cool unexpected stuff. Liked the very well constructed hell theme. Good times. 

Thank you a lot :D

Don't be too mad about the status bar, I had to to show custom ammunition x)

I really really liked this second map, blew the first one out of the water - also got a surprise visit from @sandwedge

solid map - cool doom cute stuff - but one thing annoyed me and I demanded it be removed, but don't actually listen to me

good times

I thought the red skulls were floating hearts for some reason and you really like switches eh

5 hours ago, Clippy said:

I really really liked this second map, blew the first one out of the water - also got a surprise visit from @sandwedge

solid map - cool doom cute stuff - but one thing annoyed me and I demanded it be removed, but don't actually listen to me

good times

I thought the red skulls were floating hearts for some reason and you really like switches eh

Nice to hear that :D 
Yeah, I was starting to acclimatize with the builder and Slade, so there's a sort of ascent to better maps along the way (at least visually and technically).
I laughed at the stealth fu**er x) even if I'd wanted to listen to you, I promised myself that I won't touch this wad again ahahah unless some major bug comes out.
When I made the map, I thought it was a nice idea to signal the fact that those wide pillars could be lowered with a sw2 texture, but maybe it wasn't ahahahah
On the other hand, every redskull switch was perfectly switchable :E

Well, very unpolite floating heart x))

Hey friend - did map 3 with @Biodegradable and @Dub Bag

I'm sorry to say that this is lost in the shadow of how awesome map 2 was. Not a fan of mazes or stealth monsters, especially pinkies lol. Spent a lot of time looking at green vine mazes and I just want to shoot things in the face. The modifications are interesting and I do like the powerful shotgun but it is hard to snipe things, which I know you were going for that but sometimes it can get annoying when you really need to snipe. sometimes the chaingun felt broken - like I got it from a second hand store or something. Again shotgun cool but I keep trying to fall back on how the traditional weapons work throwing me off

but besides some gripes I loved some of the atmospheric stuff - cool mirror room with the demons that freeze - that thing in the ground shooting anthrax at me - this was just a bit of a mixed bag - by the time I found the exit I just decided to exit stage left cause I was done getting lost in mazes. Sure there was probably a lighting que to guide me but I didn't want to figure that stuff out - I'm not so much into puzzles with doom I just want to shoot things in the face

well hey hope vid is helpful and entertaining at least

have a good 1 !

I know, it's not a map for everyone, and by "not for everyone" I mean that it is probably for me only x)) I need to carve it in my stubborn head.

I've already answered so I'll just take this opportunity to thank you 3 again.

I should put a sign next to the thing "Anthrax shooting flower" cause it cracked me up x)))

I've played 4 levels so far. HOLY MOLY. This is impressive. Incredibly atmospheric levels. Great new weapons/monsters. This is non-vanilla Doom at its best, imo!

You definitely deserve a Cacoward.

EDIT: I would say if you liked Eviternity, you should check this out ASAP. The atmosphere is just so good on these levels.

Edited by Captain Keen

10 hours ago, Clippy said:

Gonna thank you again pal! 
I love how Bio always tries to explain and justify some of the choices I made in the wad x) I should've probably made some of the things more clear 
But hey, now you basically have a sniper (rail) available from the next map, so the long range frustration will be cut in half :D

6 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

I've played 4 levels so far. HOLY MOLY. This is impressive. Incredibly atmospheric levels. Great new weapons/monsters. This is non-vanilla Doom at its best, imo!

You definitely deserve a Cacoward.

EDIT: I would say if you liked Eviternity, you should check this out ASAP. The atmosphere is just so good on these levels.

Too kind, thank you! :D
You know, I still haven't played Eviternity (shame on me), but I'm going to make up for it!

On 8/8/2022 at 8:58 PM, Custom Longplay said:

Simply speechless... I just enjoyed this episode. Respect for this work! 

Thank you again for the words and all the time you spent on the wad! Really very much appreciated!

(After I finish to update the entirety of the thing, I'll start working on a mod-compatible version, at least for project brutality/brutal doom, cause it's a waste and I love these mods)

Hi! First, thank you for this awesome looking WAD. So much details! Great! I really enjoyed MAP01 and 02. But now i'm stuck in MAP03. I've found the yellow skull key, the blue skull key and now i'm running around the map for over 90 minutes and can't find the red skull key. I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

I had a look in the video from this post and the path in minute 14:52 does not exist. In my game there is just a wall. Nothing more.

Using DNA Final Release (June 8th 2022) and GZDoom 4.8.2.

Edited by Tobsucht : Link fix

4 hours ago, Tobsucht said:

Hi! First, thank you for this awesome looking WAD. So much details! Great! I really enjoyed MAP01 and 02. But now i'm stuck in MAP03. I've found the yellow skull key, the blue skull key and now i'm running around the map for over 90 minutes and can't find the red skull key. I don't know what i'm doing wrong.

I had a look in the video from this post and the path in minute 14:52 does not exist. In my game there is just a wall. Nothing more.

Using DNA Final Release (June 8th 2022) and GZDoom 4.8.2.

Thanks for the compliments and for playing it :D I'm really sorry for the trouble though.
 From what I've understood you're here trying to get to the right, but you find a wall, right?

Spoiler

BqVKzII.png

And you should also find a wall in front of you blocking the path to the yellow key cause you're already got it, right?

If that's the case, then it's really weird D: cause the script that should raise the wall blocking the path for the red key, will only execute the moment you collect the key, so something out of my control bugged out.

Instead, if you're here and now you can't go north cause there's a wall, well, that's my goddamn fault cause I tagged that sector wrongly and the wall raises when someone gets the yellow key, locking the way for the red key... I'm deeply sorry if this is the case.

Spoiler

Xlz3wDX.png

3 solutions then:

1. Noclip through the wall and go get the red skull
  2. Restart the map and get the red key before the yellow (I'd go for the first solution, since the map is already long and tedious enough)
  3. Wait a couple of days for me to finish testing the huge update I'm working on

Don't give yourself a redskull, cause everything is scripted, so an "external" key won't trigger anything and you won't be able to proceed.