Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Martin-CAI

The future of DE modding

As I said many times, I'd love this game to stay alive for years, and the way to make that possible is having people commited to mod it.

The thing is, there actually are many commited people. I really enjoy some of their work. But I'm not aware of what's possible to do and what's not. For example, is it impossible to make maps? Or its difficulty is so high that it's not even worth trying? 

I'm an utter ignorant in this matter. So, if someone involved in modding this game is around here, I'd like to know what are the possibilities and limitations that you see (and what are the things that you'd like to be different too).

What you can't do now:

Spoiler

• Make new level geometry
  • Import new models
  • Create brand-new AI

What you can do now:

Spoiler

• Alter existing entity stats through their .decl files
  • Using the unused pistol .decl files and sound events to inherit new properties for any weapon
  • Create entirely new enemy encounters with custom enemy placements and custom trigger points
  • Create custom monsters inherited from original ones, such as ghost Marauders with different attack and health properties
  • Create enemies that use the unique Battlemode skins at the expense of not being able to gib them or having them revert during glory kills
  • Create new platforming segments in out-of-bounds areas using floating platforms, meathook grapple points, and custom death teleporters
  • Auto-generate enemy traversal data so any non-flying enemy can work in any arena correctly
  • Place any entity that exists within the .entities file anywhere on the map
  • Create custom scripts to show/hide entities, trigger moving platforms, play sound effects, or start encounters through use of triggers
  • Start players anywhere in the map
  • Teleport players anywhere you want in order to mix up level layouts
  • Change the level progression order entirely and skip any level you want, including the hub
  • Remove the spectacle cameras from triggering
  • Replace any music tracks and sound effects with your very own imported content (still buggy)
  • Replace any textures with your very own imported content
  • Fully change any text strings in the game

What you will be able to do in the future:

Spoiler

• Import any entitydef from any level into any other level, meaning DLC monsters, Classic Mode weapon pickups, or Hayden meme quotes in any level
  • Create entirely new .decl files and import them, allowing for extended weapon customization, upgrades, and maybe even new item pickups entirely

18 minutes ago, I Drink Lava said:
  • Using the unused pistol .decl files and sound events to inherit new properties for any weapon
  • Create entirely new enemy encounters with custom enemy placements and custom trigger points
  • Create custom monsters inherited from original ones, such as ghost Marauders with different attack and health properties
  • Create enemies that use the unique Battlemode skins at the expense of not being able to gib them or having them revert during glory kills
  • Create new platforming segments in out-of-bounds areas using floating platforms, meathook grapple points, and custom death teleporters
  • Auto-generate enemy traversal data so any non-flying enemy can work in any arena correctly
  • Create custom scripts to show/hide entities, trigger moving platforms, play sound effects, or start encounters through use of triggers
  • Change the level progression order entirely and skip any level you want, including the hub
  • Replace any music tracks and sound effects with your very own imported content (still buggy)

Holy shit! Cue the Marauder's "my eyes have been opened" line. That's insane, and very exciting. Are there any existing tutorials that explain how to do any of this? I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about how the modding scene for DE actually works.

Regarding your bullet point, "Auto-generate enemy traversal data so any non-flying enemy can work in any arena correctly" -- this is amazing, but I did notice that one of your comments in that video was, "Unfortunately, it was not possible to spawn in Cacodemons in this room as there's no flight traversal data for them." Is generating your own flight traversal data something that will simply never be possible?  

12 hours ago, I Drink Lava said:

What you can't do now:

Hide contents

• Make new level geometry
  • Import new models
  • Create brand-new AI

What you can do now:

Hide contents

What you will be able to do in the future:

Hide contents

• Import any entitydef from any level into any other level, meaning DLC monsters, Classic Mode weapon pickups, or Hayden meme quotes in any level
  • Create entirely new .decl files and import them, allowing for extended weapon customization, upgrades, and maybe even new item pickups entirely

Honestly, I expected the list of list of things you can't do would be longer.

3 hours ago, NoXion said:

Honestly, I expected the list of list of things you can't do would be longer.

Yeah, from what I know of, the modding scene for Eternal has been way more sprawling and diverse than that of DOOM 2016. Id Tech 7 certainly isn't limited like Id Tech 6, that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, Noiser said:

D2016 had Snapmap though, which kinda fit the niche of modding.

Yeah, I meant specifically unofficially-supported mods, tools, and methods.

2 hours ago, I Drink Lava said:

What struck me about that video is how the combination of dashing and quick-switching make you untouchable in the context of 2016, it would be cool to pair those abilities with a mod that makes enemies more dangerous and/or more numerous.

TAG1 Master Campaign by Delta, it has so many ideas going on like Marauders with spinning hazards, invisible giant tentacles and more.

Just look at it.

Stuff like this should be canon.

Delta's work is actually kind of divisive in the community for going too far. At one point, Marauders didn't even flash green or make a sound cue before attacking.

On 6/13/2021 at 6:38 PM, I Drink Lava said:

Delta's work is actually kind of divisive in the community for going too far. At one point, Marauders didn't even flash green or make a sound cue before attacking.

Sometimes you've got to push things to the edge to know where the edge is.

53 minutes ago, Rytrik said:

Sometimes you've got to push things to the edge to know where the edge is.

are you defending shit game design bro

18 hours ago, I Drink Lava said:

are you defending shit game design bro

I'm not defending anything. Since the mod is divisive in the community, apparently some people do like it. For others, they don't. Delta pushed an edge and that is worth commending. That is what I am commending: the fact that he tried something new, not the outcome of what he tried.

Edited by Rytrik : Corrected spelling

On 6/13/2021 at 3:48 PM, whatup876 said:

TAG1 Master Campaign by Delta, it has so many ideas going on like Marauders with spinning hazards, invisible giant tentacles and more.

Just look at it.

I played it. It's quite messy and buggy, but it actually is really entertaining. Because it tries new stuff and it's not just a randomizer, it also brings back the surprise condiment that we lose when we've already played the game too much. I liked it.

22 hours ago, Rytrik said:

I'm not defending anything. Since the mod is divisive in the community, apparently some people do like it. For others, they don't. Delta pushed an edge and that is worth commending. That is what I am commending: the fact that he tried something new, not the outcome of what he tried.

w-what kind of circular logic is this

you could describe terrywads the exact same way

On 6/13/2021 at 7:38 PM, I Drink Lava said:

*starts having PTSD about slaughter map controversy*

Yep, that's a Doom modding community.

Speaking of Doom Eternal mods, there's been a few interesting recent model replacement mods. For example, there's the "Big Fish Gun" mod, replacing your BFG with the Dopefish model. Another one replaces the Slayer's Crucible with the Marauder's Argent Axe. Both are rather janky in terms of animations but pretty amusing nonetheless.

image.png.3dc0e7c4a056208f85c32d88b45a3cd0.png

00001.png

---

There's also been a few sound effects / menu music replacement mods. For example, the Doom 3 menu theme or Intermission from Doom for the end-of-mission screen. Or uploaded earlier today, a Serious Sam sound pack - which replaces several sound effects.

Pretty interesting to see how Doom Eternal's modding scene continues to develop.

On 6/14/2021 at 6:48 AM, whatup876 said:

invisible giant tentacles

I am sure there have been worse ideas but none come to mind right now.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:48 PM, whatup876 said:

invisible giant tentacles

19 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I am sure there have been worse ideas but none come to mind right now.

I'm sure there's an audience that is into that sorta thing, but i don't think that demand is necessarily tied to gaming

On 6/16/2021 at 4:22 PM, I Drink Lava said:

w-what kind of circular logic is this

you could describe terrywads the exact same way

Terrywads are made to be shit on purpose.  Your logic would be like saying Nightmare Mode for classic are like "terrywads" since it it too hard and unfair.  Git gud

Interesting that there’s a rocket launcher replacement in there as well!

All feels like the baby steps towards custom/repurposed assets for new levels, or even elaborate changes to current levels.

So why didn't they have traditional deathmatch? I know it's not a big deal and PVP isn't the focus of modern doom games, but I wouldn't think it'd be that difficult to find an acceptable % damage nerf to make for reasonably playable matches, just to have it?

On 5/26/2021 at 9:46 AM, NoXion said:

What you can't do now:

fingers crossed there is a source code leak or the just release it like classic id did

I wish they would at least post the tools they used to make the game, or at least some sort of map editor.