Doomkid

Doomguy’s Face, Big HUD - Yay or nay?

What HUD do you primarily use?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the classic HUD?

• I play with the classic “grey bar” HUD with Doomguy’s face
    • I use a different HUD, but it still has Doomguy’s mug
    • I use a custom/minimalist HUD that removes his face entirely

I used to play using only the minimal huds, but then I saw the neat custom ones that wads have and I loved the art a ton.

kOMcrcg.jpg

I prefer something like this.  Minimal HUD with some icons, original red text, and messages at the top.  The face is optional for me, and I have it here because Eschatology replaces the face and I wanted to see the replacement.  I don't remember the last time I shrunk the screen enough to show the status bar to be honest...

I like Crispy's more minimalist hud when you press the "+" key a few times. But I sometimes like to swap out doomguy's face w/ another character so there's that

I play with the classic HUD at the bottom. I gotta have Doomguy's face showing. I do like the different faces that are out there too. You know I'm a Rowdy Rudy fan and I like seeing him on the HUD as well.

Edited by TheGreenZap

31 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Do you play with the classic status bar at the bottom?

For more "vanilla" ports, I just use the good old status bar. 
For more modern ports, like the ZDoom branch, I use the althud.

I play with the classic HUD; I find the large numbers and static background easier to read than other HUDs I've tried. In particular, PrBoom+'s "advanced HUD" doesn't display ammo counts for non-equipped weapons, which I just can't get used to (the percent ammo remaining is used to color the weapon number, but that doesn't cut it for me). I also like seeing the status bar graphics WAD authors come up with. Doomguy's face isn't a major reason I use the classic HUD, but it is a nice bonus.

As enticing and satisfying it is to have a custom or minimalist HUD, I don't like futzing around across ports/compatibilities/mods/etc in order to get things just the way I become acclimated to. The bar does just fine, its 99.9% accounted for across wads/mods, and I enjoy the quick visual feedback of the face. :)

If playing in 4:3 I prefer the classic style statusbar. If widescreen I may switch between the statusbar and other available options. For non-statusbar instances I don't like too much info on the screen, it gets messy and distracting. Just health, armor, keys, and ammo for what weapon I'm currently using are enough to let me know what's going on while not getting in the way. Having the face alongside a health gauge is functionally redundant in most cases, but it does help set the mood, so I don't mind if it's there unless it's just a disembodied head floating somewhere on the screen. So I guess in usual cases, I like the face in the statusbar, and dislike the face with a widescreen hud unless there's some sort of graphic that all the info can fit into.

im using the gzdoom alt hud, shows more info in screen without being too invasing. but i miss the doomguy face :(

someday i will search for a custom hud mod with dg face.

I usually play with the classic status bar, because a lot of WADs customize it in some attractive way. Of the minimalist, full-screen HUDs I've played with, I like Eternity's the best, with GZDoom's in second. Eternity's HUD is really easy to read, even if it doesn't tell you how much ammo you have for your unused guns. I agree with @Shepardus about PRBoom-Plus's full-screen HUD. Why do I like the Eternity HUD, which has the same problems? I don't know. I think it looks nicer.

GZDoom fullscreen HUD, but I do miss Doomguy's mug telling me where I'm getting hit from. I've always thought it would be neat to have the mugshot pop up as a damage compass. AFAIK this damage compass mod exists, it just has to call up the right mugshot.

it doesn't feel like doom to me unless i can see doomguy's big dumb face in the middle of the enormous screen-hogging hud

Nowadays i find the fullscreen HUD of most sourceports (boom hud or the one with the pickup icon and numbers) extremely ugly and uninformative (with the exception of GZDoom's alt hud, which is still ugly but at least shows more info).

Nowadays i either stick to Eternity's original fullscreen hud (which both provides most information you need AND is very aesthetically pleasing) OR, if the wad has its own hud, i like to use that instead (at least for a first playthrough) both to respect all the effort the artist(s) put into it, ESPECIALLY if it's got its own "character" with all new mugshots and animations for that, but also to appreciate the art itself because it's something i value highly when playing wads.

etrn14.png.1b0db8919f1b29bb60300e26a10265c7.png

As a 'honorable mention', Supercharge also has a pretty good fullscreen HUD that doesn't compromise the wad's custom HUD or doomguy's mugshot.

Edited by MattFright

I love the Prboom+ minimal HUD best, I got too used to it. Some times I use a skin to make it more accurate with the helmet. Other times I make it entirely custom.

I have problems looking at stuff on the corners while playing the game, so i made this hud to help me out. everything is kept in the center, only the keys appear in the corner since i don't have to pay attention to that.

Screenshot_Doom_20210525_223654.png.a25424cf4d6d2720f422c5e2e7658e91.png

I play with the classic HUD but because I'm a way too proud of my Doomguy Face replacement I did for Hell Invasion, I use a small wad file I made that just replaces his face on the classic HUD. I do love the extra vertical FOV on the minimalist HUDs but I don't use it because it doesn't show the ammo of weapons that I haven't equipped.

Because I speedrun doom on the UV-Max category and NoMo, I need this advance hud on prboom+ to see the ongoing timer, kills and secrets. Although I would use the standard hud for casual play.

doom07.png

47 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

The HUD from my favourite Vanilla cosmetic mod, Dead Marine is sweet. Otherwise, I go with the classic chunky HUD.

m4KkyNW.png

I love the Dead Marine HUD! If it had numbers for the health and armour levels as well as optional items / kills / secrets, than it would be perfect! It's a great mod.

Original Hud. I look at Doomguy's face more than my actual health percentage to know how much health I have.

I really like the original HUD - the huge red numbers are nice. So many alternate HUDs have tiny little microscopic numbers! :P

I prefer to have the face if possible, but either way the automap in most ports tends to show off the status bar. Most importantly, I like to have the full status for all ammo types on my HUD.

My preferred style is a minimalist full screen HUD with Doomguy’s beautiful features front and center. Crispy has my favorite of these kinds so far.

It depends to me on what port I am playing in.  But if I'm playing in GZDoom I use Nightfright's Fullscreen Statusbar mod.