Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The BMFG

Doomworld's Opinion On Blood?

opinions on the monolith game blood from 1997?. favorite weapon? favorite map? favorite enemy? 

As released, the best shooter of the 90s in my book. Favourite weapon is the dynamite. Never bettered. Favourite enemy is the cultist for their delicious screams.

Favourite map... I probably haven't played it recently enough to remember my actual favourite. But the Phantom Express will always spring to mind, even if just for how cool a first impression it made.  The one with the huge caverns and a mining cart track near the end of either third or fourth episode was one I remember enjoying a lot too.

It's red, it's make my body and your body works, and i was afraid of that as a kid

I remember, before playing Blood or Shadow Warrior, I thought "how could they be better than Duke3D?". Hint: Duke3D is good, but Blood and Shadow Warrior are better. Blood is great, but I feel it takes a few different skills to play, different skills that Doom requires. Hitscanners in build engine games tend to be brutal. In Doom, the chaingunner can sometimes be taken out with one shotgun blast. I was going somewhere with this, but I forget where.

So yeah, Blood is a great game. I need to play it again, now that source ports actually exist for it. That should date how long ago I last played the game.

It's a bitch to get out of the carpet.

The game? Oh yes, it's fun but often brutal. Very creative. 

I have difficulty ranking games sometimes, but Blood is definitely in my Top 5 FPS list! I might go so far as to say I prefer it over Doom, even though I play Doom way more often. The community is still pretty active, too, with newer map sets being comparable to the best Doom megawads.

Not sure what else to say, but I'm glad it can finally be played on modern systems so new fans can get to enjoy it without the hassle of DOSBox. :p

We have an Apples vs Oranges argument about whether Blood is better than Duke, about, oh . . . . what do you say, maybe once a month?

If any of you folks can get ahold of a password to the Shudder streaming service, you should watch the Phantasm marathon on Joe Bob's Last Drive-In.

Out of the build engine games it's the one i liked the best so far, and i prefer it's aesthetics and sprite work a lot better than Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior. Still haven't beaten it all though, i got my ass kicked my first time around a few years ago and now am playing though it at the second-easiest difficulty. Shoutout to KinoFabino and all the great cultist memes lol

Also those cutscenes are really something else...

Such a great game, It's difficult in some areas but It's still good fun. While I'm here I highly recommend Death Wish if you're done with the main episodes. All 3 episodes are brilliant in my opinion and are full of creative setpieces and references to other horror related media. Also if you don't want to deal with using DOSBox to play this game, get either NBlood, Raze or BuildGDX.

I honestly didn't find the original game too much fun by itself...it felt like forever until you were given any significant amount of weapons, and the game itself felt far too long for what felt to me like very samey gameplay (even if fun, i didn't feel like playing it all the way through). I've been having a LOT more fun with Death Wish though, its level design feels so much more inspired, unique and varied than the base game in every single way.

GEROXE BIBOX MALAX!!!!!!

I love this game to shreds. The cultist language is awesome, and burning large groups of them is one of the most satisfying thing in any video game.

It looks neat, but also costs money so I don't have much an opinion besides that the aesthetic looks neat.

fun fact: I can't even run the version of blood from Steam. Everything looks like the tutti-frutti effect because it requires directx11 and I only have directx9 :p

4 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

My PC starts lagging when I run Blood, lol

Hey pal, you just blow in from 90's town?

it's by far the best build engine game; it's more fun, difficult, and aesthetically pleasing than anything else made with the engine.

but it still doesn't come anywhere close to capturing my attention like doom does

I think it's the best Build engine game, I love it more than Doom even.

1 hour ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

fun fact: I can't even run the version of blood from Steam. Everything looks like the tutti-frutti effect because it requires directx11 and I only have directx9 :p

Try running it with BuildGDX.

Big fan of Blood here too. The only negative I can say against the game is that it's damn hard, but the aesthetics and the weapons are just so dang good to use. I'd have to play it alongside Duke 3D one of these days to determine which Build title is superior.

Definitely the best build engine game

1 minute ago, toxic.rat said:

Definitely the best build engine game

Yeah, there's not much else to say about Blood. It's a very high quality Build game, with a very nice atmosphere and level design and gameplay. I'd probably say it is the best of them, although that makes sense given it's one of the latter ones too (kinda like how Strife and Hexen are the Doom engine games of better polish).

it's good.

I think my favorite weapon is the dynamite. None of the weapons are bad and all feel good, but nothing will beat surgically nailing a dynamite toss. And I normally hate throwing weapons like grenades in fps games.