Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The BMFG

Doomworld's Opinion On Blood?

Ok let's see.. where to begin.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:51 AM, I Drink Lava said:

I don't quite get the whole "BEST FPS GAME EVER" mentality that a lot of people (mostly younger fans of Civvie 11 who never had to suffer through the pre-source port days) seem to have.

This is a dead series with a cult following. Players who never played it won't tell you it is the best game in the universe, trying to pass the games fanbase as children as well. this is not a good start.

On 6/3/2021 at 7:51 AM, I Drink Lava said:

He or she even throws dynamite around corners occasionally. All this proves is that Blood's quirks are just a natural part of the game, just like Doom's circlestrafing. The only reason this player is so good is because he or she has the level layouts memorized, which 99% of Blood players will not have the privilege.

Using the weapons and knowing how to play the game. Both weaknesses of the game. Maybe "99%" of the players who complain about blood should listen to what actual blood players tell them and start the game on 3rd difficulty or below, instead of dying nonstop to cultists then calling it a shit imbalanced game.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:51 AM, I Drink Lava said:

There's too much "throw a stick of dynamite around a corner" and "stand still and wait for the ear-piercing ghost to become vulnerable to the shotgun 4 or 5 times" and "waste all your ammo against a bullet sponge spider" and "hold crouch for 5 minutes while you whittle away at 4 Stone Gargoyles at once" present for it to be considered the pinnacle of FPS design.

1) There isn't a single place in the base game where you need to use the tnt altfire. not one place where it is much more useful than just altfiring a flaregun or throwing a normal dynamite like a rocket. All the harder areas require you to kill enemies quickly and waiting a dynamite 10 seconds to blow up is just wasting your time and hitpoints.

2) Phantasms are one of the easiest enemies in the entire game and won't waste 1 minute of your total time in the full game. Compare them with centaurs from hexen or barons from doom 2 and the time waste is much higher for the last 2.

3) Again the wrong weapon for the map flow. I won't go bold and said every single one of them have a tesla or enough dynamite to kill her in seconds, so I'll just say "most" instead. again they are very rare and won't waste a lot of time in the total game.

4) There isn't a single area in the game with 4 stone gargoyles. Let alone one past the first episode where there aren't weapons to shred it in seconds. The voodoo doll kills them in 2 seconds top with the altfire. crouching against them is just a waste of time as they have the same attack as pinkies in doom when up close. Just shoot them in the face for a bit. 

Blood has a lot of design issues ( like shitty boss fights ) but these are just a mix of playstyle or not knowing how to play. sorry if this comes off as mean but not knowing how weapons damage work in a game or trying to pass Extra Crispy as if it was the main difficulty ( the only difficulty with a lot of minibosses ) just hits all wrong. And please stop trying to pass its love as a youtuber fanbase who you clearly don't like enough to signal out online. Its fans are also of all skill levels and not just the sweatiest tryhards in the universe. They are pretty chill on their forums tbh.

This forum always overstates its difficulty compared to other build games. Duke and Shadow Warrior have a ton more bullshit encounters than the Blood maps. The cultists are obviously the strongest enemy in blood but they are the only enemy who can even kill a caleb who knows their AI.

If someone is thinking about playing it then the answer is simple. JUST DO IT. The game is arguably the easiest build game on lower difficulties. there is no shame in not playing it on skill 4 first playthrough, the mappers designed it for a replay not a first play. and it isn't much difference than being new to fps games and dying nonstop on Doom 1 ultra violence.

44 minutes ago, markanini said:

So you're relying on the crutch of making assumptions and trying to generate unnecessary drama. This stuff shuts down any productive discussion. You are literally doing the gatekeeping. If that's really an issue you care about you might want to set your own house in order before criticizing others. I'm criticizing Civvie as a former fan that still enjoys his earlier videos. Now that retro game channels are more common it's clear that Civvie has gone too formulaic and his videos are too much about him. The strat of chucking dynamite blindly around every single corner is pretty rare, probably because it breaks the fun. Watch the algo video I shared again, he gets visual contact with enemies before chucking dynamite around corners almost every time. Look at Dwars and LightningBoltForver for further proof of what strats are commonly used.

heres my hot take : how about we shut the fuck up about this stupid drama and actually talk about the topic instead of derailing it because you wanna have a retarded argument with someone about a fucking youtuber who has nothing to do with this topic other than he made videos on it. were talking about what we think of blood not what 2 random ass people arguing on the internet think about civvie 11

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

This forum always overstates its difficulty compared to other build games.

I definitely get killed more often in Shadow Warrior than Blood.

46 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

heres my hot take : how about we shut the fuck up about this stupid drama and actually talk about the topic instead of derailing it because you wanna have a retarded argument with someone about a fucking youtuber who has nothing to do with this topic other than he made videos on it. were talking about what we think of blood not what 2 random ass people arguing on the internet think about civvie 11

Thats why I tried to unarm I Drink Lavas argument basing Civvie as a authority for how the game plays. Based on prior correspondence I didn't expect him to respond so childishly. But lets keep the thread about the game.

Edited by markanini

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

This forum always overstates its difficulty compared to other build games. Duke and Shadow Warrior have a ton more bullshit encounters than the Blood maps. The cultists are obviously the strongest enemy in blood but they are the only enemy who can even kill a caleb who knows their AI.

If someone is thinking about playing it then the answer is simple. JUST DO IT. The game is arguably the easiest build game on lower difficulties. there is no shame in not playing it on skill 4 first playthrough, the mappers designed it for a replay not a first play. and it isn't much difference than being new to fps games and dying nonstop on Doom 1 ultra violence.

ehhh...shadow warrior might be harder, but duke nukem is absolutely not as hard as blood

5 minutes ago, roadworx said:

ehhh...shadow warrior might be harder, but duke nukem is absolutely not as hard as blood

Well I said bullshit and not hard to describe them. Blood rarely plays dirty ( fanatic traps are the exception ). In Duke and SW you get showered with mini-bosses if you dare to play on skill 4, enemies warp around at random in multiple places whenever you do something like getting a key. For comparison Blood always signals out big traps with a loud door, explosions or the place breaking apart. It also doesn't have explosive enemies with dodge hacks and shadow ninjas.. which I say is a huge step up in enemy design :P.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:39 PM, [McD]James said:

It's unbalanced, uneven, and buggy, but incredibly fun. 

1. You're probably not understanding of how it works

2.not sure what you mean by that

3.The game is just more like wolfenstein 3d than anything else

@Tony_Pepporoni I played through the entirety of the base game and its expansion on Well Done and found it to generally be a bit on the easy side, contrary to what others will often say about its difficulty, so I feel qualified in saying that my ability to properly assess any given situation and overall understanding of the mechanics are apt. 

The game's balance in regards to its weapons, enemies, and difficulty curve are all highly uneven. Most of the enemies are extremely easy and can be dispatched with a pitchfork, and yet the game's hardest non-boss enemy appears all over the place starting on the very first level of the game. Most of the game's enemies should be stronger, but the cultist's reaction times should be slightly reduced. 

No idea what the comparison to Wolfenstein 3D is. Blood plays nothing like that game.

3 hours ago, Tony_Pepporoni said:

3.The game is just more like wolfenstein 3d than anything else

... what?

Don’t remember if I gave my thoughts on Blood yet so I apologize if I did. I freaking love this game. I remembered when I played the demo of it as a kid it actually freaked me out to a point I shut off the game. Now mine you I had been playing Duke, Doom and stuff like that around this time. I wasn’t used to seeing Zonbies rise up from the ground yet and that really scared me. The ordering screen didn’t help matters either. 

I don’t think I went back and played till I was at least 11 or 12. Was still kinda freaked out, but really enjoyed it then cause I knew what to expect. I think Caleb is one of the most awesome FPS characters out there and there’s really never been anyone else quite like him. I also loved the horror movie references.

I really wished Blood 2 had not sucked so much. Blood 2 is fine if I don’t look at it as a sequel and I look at it as it’s own thing. If they remade Blood with a newer engine that’d be cool, but I don’t want a reboot. Would be too worried it’d end up like an arena fighter like Shadow Warrior 2013.

Also has anyone read the manga Priest? It’s very much inspired by Blood and the author basically admitted he was inspired by Blood when he wrote it. It’s a really great series that sadly was made into a movie with Paul Bettany that was only a loose adaption.

So basically Blood is 10/10 for me.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:39 PM, [McD]James said:

It's unbalanced, uneven, and buggy, but incredibly fun. 

What sourceport did you get this experience from?

On 6/29/2021 at 4:44 PM, [McD]James said:

@Tony_Pepporoni I played through the entirety of the base game and its expansion on Well Done and found it to generally be a bit on the easy side, contrary to what others will often say about its difficulty, so I feel qualified in saying that my ability to properly assess any given situation and overall understanding of the mechanics are apt. 

The game's balance in regards to its weapons, enemies, and difficulty curve are all highly uneven. Most of the enemies are extremely easy and can be dispatched with a pitchfork, and yet the game's hardest non-boss enemy appears all over the place starting on the very first level of the game. Most of the game's enemies should be stronger, but the cultist's reaction times should be slightly reduced. 

No idea what the comparison to Wolfenstein 3D is. Blood plays nothing like that game.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the enemies being extremely easy other than the cultist and it's counterparts, i mean there is still enemies like the hellhounds and fire pods, at best the gillbeast is practically a reskin of the zombie, and from my experience it just seems like the others weren't used awfully well in the level design, likely for story reasons and especially considering it was the first game and it's expansion was made by a completely separate company, therefore that's kind of unfair judgement in my honest opinion and i feel if it were used correctly the gargoyles and zombies would probably be the only easy enemies, i'm pretty sure doom had the same issue before as well and to guess nobody really thinks the enemies are that cute after plutonia.

33 minutes ago, Mr.Doorbell said:

What sourceport did you get this experience from?

I've played DOS Blood, nBlood, and Fresh Supply, each of which carries its own bugs and technical shortcomings. 

18 minutes ago, Mr.Doorbell said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the enemies being extremely easy other than the cultist and it's counterparts, i mean there is still enemies like the hellhounds and fire pods, at best the gillbeast is practically a reskin of the zombie, and from my experience it just seems like the others weren't used awfully well in the level design, likely for story reasons and especially considering it was the first game and it's expansion was made by a completely separate company, therefore that's kind of unfair judgement in my honest opinion and i feel if it were used correctly the gargoyles and zombies would probably be the only easy enemies, i'm pretty sure doom had the same issue before as well and to guess nobody really thinks the enemies are that cute after plutonia.

I really don't know what you're talking about. 

i'm just saying that the enemies likely had more potential than their placement gave them, you can probably tell that they weren't used very often at all other than the zombies and gargoyles and also i thought you were talking about cryptic passage but yeah that makes no sense since you said expansion pack you must mean the extra episodes

17 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

I know there are two expansions, but I was referring to Post Mortem.

Yeah that's what i meant, and honestly what bugs are you talking about? I know there was this one time in e1m6 on buildgdx where i got teleported in front of the higher possible balcony after hugging the wall of the entrance in the room near the bridge that comes after the room with the fire behind the windows. Also how about the enemies first, and just for dos blood.

Edited by Mr.Doorbell

I don't like blood. It's red, runny, smelly and it gets everywhere.

That said, I do like Blood. It is certainly quite fun, with many interesting combat puzzles, and some delightful atmosphere. Certainly one of the best, if not the best, Build game, at least if you ask me anyway.

What do you think is the best Build engine game?

1 minute ago, Gustavo6046 said:

What do you think is the best Build engine game?

not redneck rampage

38 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

not redneck rampage

"The key to get inside is right here. No, it's right here. It's here, I'm telling you, the key is right here! You see it?!"

Blood is an unconventional shooter that is unconventional with its weapons and enemies, a lot of misconceptions about it being unbalanced come from the fact that you don't have the regular weapons at your disposal, instead you lean on a flare gun and thrown dynamite for most fights against enemies that don't act like most other enemies.

It is what makes Blood so liked I think.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:56 PM, Naarok0fkor said:

There's barely enough blood in Brutal Doom...Totally insufficient in the boardgame...

Are you by chance some weird sort of indoors painter? Red blood cells aren't a very good pigment, because you need a lot per unit of paint solution.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:31 PM, mrthejoshmon said:

Blood is an unconventional shooter that is unconventional with its weapons and enemies, a lot of misconceptions about it being unbalanced come from the fact that you don't have the regular weapons at your disposal, instead you lean on a flare gun and thrown dynamite for most fights against enemies that don't act like most other enemies.

It is what makes Blood so liked I think.

The fact that Blood's weapons are unconventional and unique (which I count as a positive) has nothing to do with the fact that some of them are a lot stronger than they should be. Blood as a whole however is pretty conventional as far as first-person shooters from that era go. 

And while we're still on the subject, I actually think Dusk is slightly better.

Edited by [McD]James