Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

First Level

When Doom I was out and you got the first opportunity to make a level, what was your first level like? Personally, it was a strange concept, so all I could do was make 128 rooms with barons. If that even counts. :/

It was useless. It was two rooms, 128 tall, Bronze1 on every wall. It was shaped almost like map32 of Doom2 with the evenly spaced columns, and yes it had two cyberdemons. I made the mistake of using Sw1exit texture on a huge linedef, so it looked horrible.
Oh yeah and the switch didn't do anything. Later i made some pools of water in it for no reason. It was also really dark. I built three or so more maps like it trying to get teleporters and doors to work. Doors took the longest. Wondering why the flat on the teleporter looked like ass in the game took a while too (hello? grid? duuuhhh). Another really annyoing thing was i didn't know you could flip linedefs. Most of my early specials would've worked had i simply flipped the line around :P
i was learning on the 'ol Renegade DoomED back in 95 or so. i still use that editor, it's buggy but very user friendly...prolly cause all the years i've put into it :)

It wasn't too bad. It was playable, and beatable. Not too hard, not too easy, but ugly as hell. Most of the things worked too. I still got some variation of it somewheres. :) (Oh, and I used DCK too, so that helped :) )

I ended up making an Ultimate Doom episode when I started working. All the lines were random lengths and I started by making all the rooms 128 tall with random textures. All my doors clipped off the map because I didn't know how to place them right. Half my sectors were unclosed and there was not difference in skill level. No texture allignment at all. I used a lot of prefabs and had a 100+ step spiral staircase at one point.

I wish I still had those levels. I finished the episode (the last level was a prefab circle with a bunch of barons and all the guns. I actually figured out how to use tag 666 for that level) and started episode two. It was then I learned that everything should be in multiples of eight; specifically, 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256. I also learned how to place doors correctly and how to use the grid and snap things. I actually made a decent E2M2 although all of the levels were incredibly small (< MAP01).

Next thing I started work on was UAC, which I worked on for a year or two. It's uac3.zip in the archives now. After that I made an Ultimate Doom DM episode using almost exclusively green textures. I'm sure the gameplay was total ass in all the levels, but the detail was getting better gradually. Check out Ill.wad in the UD DM section. Maps 1, 2, and 6 were good ones, the rest were pretty boring. Level 8 was just me trying to finish the episode.

Nanami said:

It was then I learned that everything should be in multiples of eight; specifically, 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256.

Actually, it's multiples of 2.

2, 4, 8, 16, 24, 32, etc.

And I can thank DOOM for me being able to do that up to 1024 (so far, I hate math)

multiples of 2 -- 0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20...

multiples of 8 -- 0 8 16 24 32 40 48 56 64 72 80...

Y'all should have said "powers of 2"
powers of 2 --
2^1 = 2
2^2 = 4
2^3 = 8
2^4 = 16
2^5 = 32
2^6 = 64
etc...

Heh, well, my first released level was E1M7, and I think I did a fairly good job on it :)
As for my first unreleased level, uh, well, which one? :P

Here is my first ever level. It looks like total ass, but I still have fun blasting through it to this very day. Infact my current project is too completley re-make my first level which will hopefully look 1000x better.

Epyo said:

Y'all should have said "powers of 2"
powers of 2 --
2^1 = 2
2^2 = 4
2^3 = 8
2^4 = 16
2^5 = 32
2^6 = 64
etc...

But you also use numbers like 24, 48, 72, and 96. Although I admit I sometimes cut down to multiples of 4 if I need a lot of detail.

When I first started making maps I used Waded, which was a complete disaster. The first map I ever made was just an experiment. It was nothing more than two rooms connected by a somewhat small opening, and a couple of Cacodemons to keep me company.

The first map that I released was a deathmatch map that I had fun playing on for a while. It had a Cyberdemon in the middle (you had to kill it to get the BFG9000) firing rockets at you while you ran around the outside trying to kill everyone else. Also, all the weapons (except the BFG9000, of course) were there around all the deathmatch spots, so there was no need to hunt for them.

My first level, which I never released and never had any real coherent form, sucked.

My second level was supposed to be a big factory-type-thing that turned water into nukage that you had to shut down. I gave up working on it when I accidently set the entire second room as one big door, and couldn't figure out how to fix it.

My first map was the Ultra tough, huge Industrial.wad. I learnt to edit as I went along, as far as I know only two people including myself have ever completed it, heh.

My first ever created and released level for Doom is The Gatehouse, which was released a couple months ago. If it seems better than most other first levels, it's because I've been editing in Duke3d for the past five years. So I know how to edit.

Hey, I just played through your level CyRaptor and I must say I'm impressed; a pretty damn good effort for a first level. A little bit easy prehaps but apart from that a good level.

Thanks, it's actually the first map in my megawad (see sig) which is why it's fairly small and easy.

And the fact that you play with the keyboard might also have something to do with how easy the level is :p

My first one was a wad for doom 1.9 with 5 or 6 levels, all unclosed sectors and a hom-effect here and there :-P Also some graphics (a door with 'Scorpion was here' on it) and sounds (CM'ERE! when you pickup something) were replaced. It was badtextured, it was lame :P but it was fun to make! If anyone wants to have it, lemme hear it. You'd be the first to see it :-P

The first successful map I've made was called "Hell's Halls" which consisted of halls and rooms with lots of ROCKRED for textures, and it was as linear as you could get. There was only one direction to go and that was forward.

I don't have it anymore, but I still have my 2nd map which was available for download, but not anymore afaik. It was called "Forlorn Fortress" which was another hell-themed, one-directional map like Hell's Halls was, but with a bit more skill and scenery put into it. It was based on one of my map drawings which I still have.

The first level I've ever done is MAP02 of riverge.wad which I downloaded to the Incoming just an hour ago or so. I think it's quite good, possibly the best in the wad. I should have done more texture alignments and the level of details isn't very high, but the gameplay is pretty intresting.

well... I remember I made alot of rooms with different textures, tried to make lifts, etc... :)

My first finished map is Abandoned Mines II, which was reviewed for some weeks ago (I think it is about 1½month ago). If you wanna try it, try search for aminesii @ http://www.doomsearch.com

:D

My first level was a huge room with hundreds of Spider Masterminds in.

My second level was a DM map - it was a huge dark room with lots of weapons and ammo in.

heh

As an "art guy" I never was the best level editor. My first one was an edit of some Star Trek wad... I put in like a holodeck and some shitty tables with every powerup and weapon on them and I think I may have thrown in a cyberdemon. I figured that would make up for my lousy additions, I mean that MORE than makes up for it right? I don't think I even made a square holodeck right.. I fucked up a square. It had a HOM effect on the wall. I'm still not great now, but much Better with some of the levels I did for Ghostbusters.

Edited by Scuba Steve

My first level sucked ass. I used (and still use) WADED (click, click, click, done), and it was a hexagon (like most people who started with WADED, I learned from that DOOM mapping book by Sams Publishing. Then, I created a hallway to the southeast, had it continue on for a while, had a slime puddle, then it went to the north for the exit. I think there was a dark area with F_SKY that had some corpses in it and some light amp goggles and invisibility.

My first released map was in Newstuff 107, and my second was in 110. Needless to say, with so many years to practice, they rule. (lol...jk, but Hyena seemed to like them)

Now if only I cuold get rid of this fscking mappers block, I could expand this two room DM map I have waiting on my harddrive.

Let me see...my first level was pretty underdetailed, but not huge rooms with 12 cyberdemons in them. No, it actually had decorations, a building staircase, working doors, a teleporter, and a couple of traps. I even incorporated a few ZDoom features into it later, but never really "finished" it. It was lost a few hard drive formats back.

Most of the reason why it didn't suck outright was the fact that I had watched my brother build levels before. He made 3 Doom2 levels, which he apparently deleted quite awhile back, and 1 Heretic level, which I found and uploaded to 3DArchives. It got a pretty good review from AndrewB in T/nC. ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/heretic/g-i/hrcave.zip