Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
underscores.pk3

Are there any wads or megawads that has structures that is similar to abandoned places?

Like, vines, destroyed doors, the general creepiness of an abandoned building but in a doom wad. Is there any wads that are like that? The only thing that is similar to my description is Bloom's levels (Not the combined levels of Blood and Doom but the general environment of the places being more desecrated and abandoned it seems). If you have any wads that are like that you can recommend, please tell me. Thanks. (There's some example pics if you don't know what I mean) Edit: I should also clarify that I want maps that don't change the monsters or enemies as I always liked playing doom with gameplay mods so yeah.

Balcony Views by James Kerwin-1.jpg

michael-schwan-abandoned-places-6.jpg

Edited by underscores.pk3 : add in more info

Off the top of my head, DBP 10 has some environments that fall into a sort of void: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dbp10

The second screenshot reminds me of one of my favourite mapsets: Lilywhite Lilith: lots of abandoned gardens and chapels. The mapset was inspired by an English rock band called Genesis, a band that I remember fondly from my childhood. 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dbp10

Vanguard's early maps (MAP01 to MAP05) are based around abandoned structures being reclaimed by nature.

Dang, did they remake that second picture for the first Darksiders? I swear, that exact wreckage, piano, and staircase is a room on your way to the first dungeon.

EDIT:

When I saw this topic, my first thought was the Amiga RPG series, and I was like... wait, that's a discussion?

On 5/28/2021 at 10:11 AM, Rook said:

Vanguard's early maps (MAP01 to MAP05) are based around abandoned structures being reclaimed by nature.

MAP05 of Vanguard is probably one of my favorites when it comes down to Doom maps that resemble abandoned places. If I'm remembering right from my time playing it, Lost Civilization is chock full of maps that resemble abandoned places being reclaimed by nature (and demons lol). Maps 8-10 of the mapset CPD have a really neat "underground temple" feel which is cool for a WAD using mostly vanilla assets. While the rest of the WAD has different stuff going on, MAP04 of "Chainworm Kommando" takes place in a forest with some rundown buildings along the way, complete with the cabin from the Evil Dead movies.

Edited by Thirteened_Candles