Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bobbotron

New custom monster, will-o-wisp

I'd love to get some feedback on what people think of this.  I'm not sure it fits with the standard doom2 monsters, but it's been fun to create a new actor from scratch.  This is a take on the monster "will-o-wisp", an spectral orb you don't want to touch.  I found it's good fun if you place a lot of these on a map.  Individually they are easy to take care of, but in a group they turn into something a bit more challenging.  I'm planning on making the actor available in a bit if anyone is interested.

That's a pretty interesting design for an enemy, and one that might make for a good boss encounter when paired with a heavier hitting flying monster! My only suggestion would be tweaking their health a bit. It looks like it takes a couple shotgun blasts to kill them, which doesn't quite fit with their perceived threat level.

Really simple, but really neat. My only suggestion is that you could add something that makes them inherently more dangerous when they're all grouped together like that. For instance, maybe you could make it so that individual wisps become slightly faster for each wisp nearby.

3 hours ago, Snarboo said:

That's a pretty interesting design for an enemy, and one that might make for a good boss encounter when paired with a heavier hitting flying monster! My only suggestion would be tweaking their health a bit. It looks like it takes a couple shotgun blasts to kill them, which doesn't quite fit with their perceived threat level.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.  A square shotgun blast will kill them in one shot, but I think I'll dial it back by a bit (health 50 to health 40.)

I have it set up so there's a small chance they spawn another of themselves when they attack you.  I thought about making some central enemy that spawns these as a main boss, so you have to take them out before you're overrun by will-o-wisps. 

I find it fun to spawn up the map and just let you chase them for a bit.

I was thinking it could be a fun trap, where you walk into a room, and a bunch of side chambers open up and these pour out at you.  It would be interesting in a tight space too, where there isn't as much room to move (though not with as many.)

2 hours ago, Geckertim said:

Really simple, but really neat. My only suggestion is that you could add something that makes them inherently more dangerous when they're all grouped together like that. For instance, maybe you could make it so that individual wisps become slightly faster for each wisp nearby.

That would be really cool for sure.  I'm not sure how to do that, but it would be great if you could have the collective strengthen each other.  I assign them all a random speed when they first spawn so you get some stragglers. 

They're set to noclip, so in a way they are way more dangerous in a block - very many can hit you at once if the blob reaches you.  :D