Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Denim Destroyer

Top 5 Star Trek Episodes

What are your favorite Star Trek episodes? If you can't think of five just list whatever you can.
Here are mine in no particular order:

• Inner Light (TNG)
  • The Visitor (DS9)
  • It's Only A Paper Moon (DS9)
  • The Chase (TNG)
  • Hard Time (DS9)

I have watched Voyager and most of The Original Series but I could not think of an episode from those I liked over the ones listed above.

Finally! A thread for me! Here's what came to mind. Couldn't stick to just five so I went with ten. As you can see I like TNG the best.

• The Measure of a Man (TNG)
  • Tapestry (TNG)
  • Chain of Command parts 1 and 2 (TNG)
  • Inquisition (DS9)
  • In the Pale Moonlight (DS9) 
  • Coda (VOY)
  • Blink of an Eye (VOY)
  • Living Witness (VOY)
  • Crisis Point (LD)
  • There is a Tide (DIS) 
  • honorable mentions: The Squire of Gothos (TOS), Frame of Mind (TNG)

I loved Picard but couldn't pick out one that I liked above the others on this list.  I expect it to get better with subsequent seasons. Enterprise and The Animated Series I am just not a fan of.

Edited by northivanastan

Hard to pick just 5. In no particular order:

• Blink of an Eye (VOY)
  • Tapestry (TNG)
  • Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG)
  • Cause and Effect (TNG)
  • The Visitor (DS9)
  • The Inner Light (TNG)
  • Trial and Tribble-ations (DS9)
  • Mirror, Mirror (TOS)

Still quite a few episodes I would've listed but these are a start.

9 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Blink of an Eye (VOY)

9 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Cause and Effect (TNG)

Those are amazing episodes I completely forgot about! Should've put them on my list. In fact, I will retroactively substitute Squire of Gothos for Blink of an Eye.

Man, if I spent the time to actually think about my favorite episodes, it would be impossible to pick just twenty :)

18 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

Man, if I spent the time to actually think about my favorite episodes, it would be impossible to pick just twenty :)

Yeah that is the tough part of asking people to make a list with so many options like this. I had a hard time picking which Deep Space 9 episodes since that show had so many quality episodes.

2 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

I have watched Voyager and most of The Original Series but I could not think of an episode from those I liked over the ones listed above.

On Voyager, when the doctor had to rescue the entire ship. Also the new races like Hirodgen and Kaisan were pretty cool.....Most of the Borg interactions (with the Borg, not with Seven) were well done. There was that episode when Tom and Harry got knocked out and their doppelgangers came back to/were beamed up to the ship until the crew found out that they were unconscious in an away mission.

It's hard for me to remember right now, I've only watched Voyager like once or twice.

Five is tricky, but I'll do my best (but am counting two-parters as one):

• The Drumhead (TNG)
  • Chain of Command (TNG)
  • Tapestry (TNG)
  • All Good Things... (TNG)

Wow... this is super-TNG heavy, but I like DS9 more as a whole. In the Pale Moonlight is one of my favorite episodes of TV ever, though, so there's that, I suppose. OS and VOY both had some really good episodes, but I'm not sure I'd put any of them in my top 10, let alone 5.

In ST:TNG the episodes that typically spring to mind are the mind-benders based on the holodeck. After that, the episodes that deal with Data's quest for humanity. Of course, the whole Locutus of Borg story arc is fabulous, as it juxtaposes Picard's morality with the cold ruthless logic of Locutus. I'll also add episodes with Q, played excellently by John de Lancie.

In DS9, the episodes involving Gul Dukat (played by the fabulous Marc Alaimo) and Elim Garak (played by the equally talented Andrew Robinson) are truly entertaining. Also, the ones with Kai Winn Adami (played by the guileful Louise Fletcher of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest fame) are always a joy to watch.

It's been a while since I watched the Voyager series, but I thoroughly enjoyed those as well.

2 hours ago, Billy Baron said:

It's hard for me to remember right now, I've only watched Voyager like once or twice.

Watching Voyager once was enough for me. If I had to pick a favorite Voyager episode it would be the one where The Doctor was activated on a planet one thousand years in the future and had to clear the long deceased Voyager crew's name.

1 hour ago, ReX said:

the ones with Kai Winn Adami (played by the guileful Louise Fletcher of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest fame) are always a joy to watch.

Funny you mention that movie, four other Star Trek actors (all minor roles except Christopher Loyd who was the Klingon Commander in Search for Spock) were in that movie with Lousie Fletcher. Additionally the makeup was done by Fred Phillips who also was the chief makeup artist for The Original movie.

1) Deadlock

2) Drone

3) Year of Hell

4) Course: Oblivion

5) Future's End

All Voyager. Honourable mentions for Scorpion, Endgame, Relativity, Dark Frontier, Worst Case Scenario and Distant Origin.

I'm  a TNG man myself.

So, most of the Q episodes (though the quote "You hit me! Picard never hit me!" From DS9 made me laugh very much.

Spoiler

Fun  fact: John DeLancie also voiced Discord from My Little Pony and his character is basically Q.

Individuals:

All Good Things

Yesterday's Enterprise 

Clues

Unification

I, Borg (most Hugh ones in fact)

To name a fee...

Absolutely no bingus for Enterprise, I see. Well... I can't blame you guys! But for five across all the series that I think are gold that haven't been mentioned yet, and I am going to include ONE thing from Enterprise...

The Doomsday Machine (TOS)

Parallels (TNG)

Far Beyond the Stars (DS9) [Really surprised this one wasn't mentioned yet!]

Bride of Chaotica! (VOY)

In a Mirror, Darkly (ENT)

That last one is a two-parter and one of the very few things in Enterprise worth a damn watching. But I had to suffer through the first three seasons to get there, so... I dunno, maybe just skip to it, lol.

I'm a TOS guy because when I first started watching Trek, there were no other Trek shows. No matter how many times I saw the show, if it was on, I'd watch it again. Even so, it is very hard to make a list of only 5.

• Arena (TOS)
  • Space Seed (TOS)
  • Balance of Terror (TOS)
  • The Galileo Seven (TOS)

• The Doomsday Machine (TOS)

And some runners up, so to speak.

- Runner up in 6th place would be The Devil in the Dark (TOS).

- Also Take Me Out to the Holosuite (DS9)

- Plus Trials and Tribble-ations (DS9)

- The Way of the Warrior (DS9)

- Certainly Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG) comes to mind.

I absolutely enjoyed TNG and DS9. Like Rex said, Andrew Robinson's Garak character was a joy to watch (among others of course). So many memorable moments on these shows.

As for Discovery after the first season, I quit watching it. I don't care for it's KlingOrcs and Spore drives and characters that have the personality of styrofoam rocks.

Enterprise and Voyager were enjoyable to watch too.

I like Picard and hope it gets better in future episodes.

I got a good kick out of the animated, Lower Decks. Some good stuff in there IMHO.

Haha, I laugh so hard whenever I watch this DS9 scene between Quark and Odo ---> click.

Edited by Doom_Dude

6 hours ago, Sotenga said:

Absolutely no bingus for Enterprise, I see.

I felt Season 3 of Enterprise was excellent, but wouldn't pick out a specific episode.

Never found TOS, TNG or DS9 appealing. In TNG the only good character was Spot.

2 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I felt Season 3 of Enterprise was excellent, but wouldn't pick out a specific episode.

Never found TOS, TNG or DS9 appealing. In TNG the only good character was Spot.

Be careful with those hot takes, or you might find a mob of angry Trekkies at your door...

(/joke)

7 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

I laugh so hard whenever I watch this DS9 scene between Quark and Odo

There is genuine brotherly chemistry between those two characters. And, as you pointed out, their interactions can be funny as hell.

@deus-ex: Darmok, like so many other ST stories, relied on intellectual challenges. For the first half of the episode the audience is probably confused as heck, but it all becomes clear at the back end of the episode. This is what (IMO) makes ST stories so engaging and entertaining.

There are many STNG episodes like this one inspiring to think about certain aspects of life, potentially influencing you to value them better. I always appreciated that very much. The same can be said about the DS9 and Voyager series.

• The house of quark (DS9)
  • The wire (DS9)
  • We'll always have paris (TNG)
  • Deja Q (TNG)
  • Our Man Bashir (DS9)

Why those? For me the fun of Star Trek, or any other sci-fi show for that matter, are the mini-stories and actors giving the characters personality in a mysterious optimistic future I'll never experience myself. :)

2 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

The house of quark (DS9)

Heh, heh. That was a gem. As a matter of fact (or, opinion, at least) the Quark episodes are always entertaining.

4 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

.... a mysterious optimistic future I'll never experience myself.

Yes, too bad Gene Roddenberry's vision for humanity will likely never come to pass.