Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muusi

Do you ignore the regular Shotgun after picking up a Super Shotgun?

1 hour ago, sincity2100 said:

No, I use the shotgun when I fight long range weak Monsters..

This.

As someone who did start playing Doom 2 recently. (Well I did play a god bit of the XBLA Demo but that didn't even have the SSG)

I kinda do? It really depends on the map, I generally stick to the regular shotgun for anything that's not going to survive a single shell usually anyway but I feel like it's mostly unneeded and you could probably get away with using the SSG more since I tend to (on Hurt Me Plenty Anyway) end levels with a decent amount of shells.

Not quite as bad as Quake 2 at least, where the regular shotgun is practically completely inferior to the Super Shotgun and shotgun ammo is insanely abundant, at least as early on as I am. (Ammo Depot.)

13 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

(Well I did play a god bit of the XBLA Demo but that didn't even have the SSG)

WTF there's a demo of Doom II?  Wonder if the IWAD in it is just a regular Doom II and it's somehow limited by the port. How did the demo end?

how many times have i used the sg, only to have to shoot an imp twice, or a pinky three times?  the ssg has more bang for the buck. and it doesn't have to be perfectly accurate either. 

and for targets farther away, the cg does the better job.

sg only when i'm counting every shell. i'm going to have some left when i exit anyway.

46 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Not quite as bad as Quake 2 at least, where the regular shotgun is practically completely inferior to the Super Shotgun and shotgun ammo is insanely abundant, at least as early on as I am. (Ammo Depot.)

it stays very useful later too, especially paired with quad damage. makes the regular shotgun even more useless, when you have rail for range.

Mostly, there are times where shotgun ammo preservation matters or I'm fighting low tier enemies that are kinda spread out but ya the normal shotgun is kinda obsolete a lot of the time

I use both. The regular shotgun is far more accurate and helps save ammo

No not at all. I actually prefer the standard shotgun mostly because of its speed. I use it if I have to kill a bunch of low tier enemies in quick succession, even more so if it is over a larger distance.

If the map it's really open, i use normal shotgun.

If the map it's closed or feels like I'm in a dangerous place, SSG.

3 hours ago, Muusi said:

WTF there's a demo of Doom II?  Wonder if the IWAD in it is just a regular Doom II and it's somehow limited by the port. How did the demo end?

It was on an Xbox magazine disc I think.

I think it was literally only the very first map, though it did have the option for Local Multiplayer so me and a friend played a good bit of that.

So yeah the XBLA version of Doom 2 but literally only the first map.

I like using single shotgun in FFA when possible. It's tough to transition out of the SSG mindset at first - I found myself waiting too long between shots. Then I started just wailing on the fire button and focusing more on connecting every time rather than maximizing damage per shot. Very satisfying when it works, which is sometimes.

with other weapons and enough ammo, the shotgun is relegated to a very limited role. it does nothing better than other weapons IMO

This is a good example of how playing on higher difficulties and playing from pistol start makes the game more complex.

No, absolutely no. The normal shotgun is great for saving up ammo and actually is great for taking down small groups of enemies. I mostly use it to get rid of enemies like; chaingunner, sergeant, imps. I think it has more uses than the chaingun.

I use the shotgun to deal with small enemies, unless they are in a big group. The SSG for stronger demons. SSG takes 2 shells, so sometimes I use the shotgun just to save ammo.

2 hours ago, Eyes said:

No, absolutely no. The normal shotgun is great for saving up ammo and actually is great for taking down small groups of enemies. I mostly use it to get rid of enemies like; chaingunner, sergeant, imps. I think it has more uses than the chaingun.

If you need to stand still while shooting with the lowest delay in general while also saving better ammo in general and practically any problem where skill is unusable, you likely want the chain gun or any automatic hitscanning weapon just for the fact that it can prolong the stunlocking of enemies, god bless you you use a Super Shotgun or Shotgun instead of a Chain Gun in a tight horded hallway that can only fit 4 sergeants.

I only use it for ammo conservation or very specific scenarios. Most WADs are so overloaded with shells I usually don't bother conserving ammo. And risking the normal shotgun not killing a -fast HWD in one shot is simply not worth it. One of the specific scenarios I mentioned is shooting close enemies in and elevated or lower position than me with only their head/feet sticking out so I can hit them without fear of retaliation. The line pattern of the normal shotgun is perfect for shooting through narrow slits.

I'm really surprised to see so many people claim they "snipe" with the normal shotgun, when even at medium range, 3 or more out of the 7 pellets are very likely to miss. And chipping distant enemies with 2 pellets per shot is extremely tedious. Chaingun is better for this in every regard. Perfect accuracy, many more chances to trigger pain and all you need is a pixel of the enemy hitbox to be exposed. Chaingun is the sniper weapon of the game. Definitely not the Shotgun by any stretch of the imagination.

Use only for weak monsters. But lost souls are a separate matter; they don't die with a single shotgun blast, they are fast and do good damage considering their level. So I'm in doubt whether I should use the ssg or the shotgun to kill them, so I take the machine gun.