Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kurogachii

Archvile appreciation post

One of my favorite levels in all of Doom, the Arch Vile Labyrinth.  Featured in Plutonia, level 11.

6 minutes ago, Zilch said:

One of my favorite levels in all of Doom, the Arch Vile Labyrinth.  Featured in Plutonia, level 11.

I'm actually taking inspiration for that on my first megawad project!

The arch-vile is my favorite demon in the entire Doom franchise. He always brings a very distinct flavor to combat encounters, and sinister/creative uses that mappers have been able to utilize almost always make him fun to fight (of course, if he is placed improperly he can be an annoyance, hence the almost). 

1000 Archviles + IDDQD + Fast Monsters = Overseas holiday.

57 minutes ago, Zilch said:

And the name of that map = Hunted. Just a perfect name. Great music selection too!

There is no better sound than listening to a group of archviles slowly get crushed.  Ahhhh....  Listening to them scream and die is music to my ears.

28 minutes ago, pcorf said:

And the name of that map = Hunted. Just a perfect name. Great music selection too!

Sweet Little Dead Bunny.  I love it!  Starts out out innocently, and gradually gets more interesting.  Superb choice.

Archviles are one of those enemies that I absolutely hate having to deal with during gameplay but taking a step back and looking at the game as a whole, Doom just wouldn't be the same without them.

Archviles are bros man I’m telling you. One moment a demon hits them by accident, the Archvile kills them, but is kind enough to still resurrect them. The only thing they wanna do is resurrect their friends, and the fact that they can’t self heal nor resurrect other Archies makes em pretty selfless in my opinion.

Archvile is a fun and intriguing enemy. I think we've all established it's about how they're used in maps that makes or breaks them.

I also see them as the classic Doom's equivalent of Eternal's Marauder. You can't half arse a victory over it, you need to utilise the games mechanics effectively to beat it and it will require your attention.

Archviles are best best designed enemies in doom because of their attack and ability to bring back dead enemies. 2nd best designed would be revenants and third I'm not sure.

I have never made a map without an archvile. 

Simply amazing design, my favourite monster out of the bunch. Their attack is wonderful, providing unique well telegraphed LOS-based area-denial that can hit player through other enemies, not to mention archvile-jumping being a powerful and interesting tool for the player.

Very high priority and gimmick potential through resurrection and enough staying power to make it all relevant.

Not just my favourite in DOOM, but enemy design in general. 

I like the archvile cuz it can add a whole heap of different battle combinations, but I hate him cuz if he gets loose it'll be a HUGE pain in the ass to get rid of the monsters around him to finally kill him.

And that isnt even the worst part, cuz if I focus the archvile first thing, I'm likely to get swarmed by the other enemies, blowing myself up in the process (cuz I tend to use the rocket launcher)

It's a love-hate relationship, basically.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:18 PM, Kurogachii said:

¿What would you say about this little buddy?

image.png.eb0674e8150b6ac42e4a78a3fba33fcf.png

Why why why

:)

Cool concept, but a bit weak unless used as a long distance zoning turret or out of sight reviver. Way too long attack animation renders him harmless for a long time and the damage can be ignored simply by breaking line of sight at the explosion moment. Used to be scary, before I got good at Doom. He should have had a minor damage over time during the wind up of his attack before the explosion.

The most interesting thing about him is the way his targeting works. Even during channeling of his attack, he turns on whatever hit him last. So being careless with your shooting is the most dangerous thing about him as a stray bullet hitting him in the late stages of him channeling an attack on a different target means instant blast in the face. Especially when combined with the lowest pain chance in the game.

In a world where 30 yrs later every almost every FPS enemy is either simple ranged or melee I salute you Mr Archvile.