Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Use

Bad Secrets

Hello,
Working on a current level I noticed on playtesting that the secret counter is wrong, displaying 5 secrets instead of 4. This affects the end results for the map too, making 100% secrets impossible. may have happened while I was editing a secret sector I deleted it to start over, after the secret sector special had already been applied. Deepsea and wadauthor's error checking have failed to remove this phantasmic secret. Any suggestions would be great!

thanks you.

Maybe you delete the boundaries of that sector (linedefs or vertices) but not the sector itself. I don't know about wadauthor or deepsea, but in DETH you can check the level consistency and delete unused sectors (sector 0 for example). Maybe the editors you use have some kind of "check level consistency" check, so use it to remove the ghost sector completely.

Cya!

Ya, when you delete the walls/linedefs n Vertexs and not the sector before, then it keeps the sector, for me anyways, heh too late I didn't figure that out soon enough. heh, but of course, you know this, there making this post pointless :P

If you are using DeePsea to error check, and have tried to delete a sector simply by removing the lines, the DeePsea error checker will prompt you that you have an unused sector and ask if you want to remove it. Yes is the answer.

If that's not it, use the DeePsea search options. Hit F4 and pick "find sector type". In regular Doom, secret sectors are type 9, so just enter a 9 and DeePsea will find the first secret. Press cancel to automatically jump to that sector. If it's not the one you are looking for, search again but this time hit continue and DeePsea will find the next secret sector, and so on.

If you are editing in ZdoomHexen mode, things are slightly more complex because secret sectors are set by flags. What this actually does is add 1024 to the sector type, so a plain/normal sector flagged as secret would have a type 1024, but a light strobe fast (type 66) flagged as secret would have a type 1090. Chances are it''l just be a normal sector though, so 1024 will be the number you enter in your sector type search.

Going by my own experience, what you have probably done is added an alcove or something (quite possibly to decorate a secret area). Chances are that you can't get into the alcove, so the sector is there, perfectly legal, but is secret and un-enterable.

Thanks Enjay I'll give some of these suggestions a try first thing tommorrow morning. I'll let ya know...right now I crying over Ling leaving WAHHHH.