Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Bourgeois Megawad

MAP 18:SKIES THE LIMIT (Crispy, UV w/ saves)

Today's been kind of a shit day for me, so going outside for a lil walk, listening to some Atom Heart Mother and coming back home to play some DOOM has made it a tiny bit better at least. This map starts off threatening with some more boney bois perched at the top. Luckily, if you get the trick of getting the mancubi behind them to infight with each other, they shouldn't be an issue at all. Now that I think about it, a lot of infighting will be your friend here, especially the part where monsters will spawn in upon picking yourself up that red key + SSG. The Archviles fell quickly to the plasma ammo been generously given around the map, the only thing I'll say about this map is that it feels pretty fun and fair to play through, aside from the Spider Mastermind placement that could've been used more wickedly if you ask me.

so i  started playing this evening in order to catch up, and much to my surprise i went through the whole wad in one go, even forgetting to stop in between and note my impressions. surely helped by the compact size of these maps and the dynamic gameplay, but that says something about the quality of this wad: amazing! best thing imo was the inclusion of rudy's weapons, they speed up gameplay and make it a joy to rush through the maps, shredding everything in the way with the improved fists/chainsaw and chaingun. i'll write more when i get to, hopefully without getting sidetracked and playing everything again, lol.

8 hours ago, FistMarine said:

Very interesting map but also very chaotic! Unfortunately the HOM errors and crashes kinda ruined the enjoyment of the map. Because I wasn't sure if using Chocolate Doom was the best idea to play the wad and if the wad should have been limit-removing at least, to avoid the vanilla limitations. This is what kinda bothers me about modern vanilla community projects, that they aren't fully vanilla compatible, there always has to be a map containing glitches or crashes. Not really the fault of mapper but I wish testing was done more with the target port (or the minimum required port) instead of mostly ZDoom family ports. Just my two cents.

Well, fuck. I can assure you all of my testing was done in DosBox (the "real way") and I'm generally very anal about avoiding crashes in maps. I've played through this map no less than 15-20 times by now and not once did it ever crash, just gave occasional HOMs which I don't care much about. I come from the Doom Dark Ages where there was no alternative to vanilla, so the fact that one of these slipped past me grinds my shit.. Thanks for reporting it though!

I warped to MAP31 out of curiosity just now... It was a fun audio experience to be sure, LOL. It also made me realize how the secret in MAP04 was done too.

MAP18: Skies the Limit

UV, no saves

100% kills, 1/1 secrets 

This level sees kind of a stylistic shift from most of the megawad so far. First of all, while most of the maps show you most of their cards from the very beginning, this one is more gradual with its feeding you of monsters. Secondly, the progression of this one almost made me forget I was playing in a deathmatch arena. Once you have all of the doors opened and you run around the place it becomes more obvious, but even that thought didn't really occur to me until I did an IDCLIP over to the deathmatch variant and realized it was mostly the same without the doors. I also gotta say I like the visual style this one has, bringing the water together with a techbase, and also giving us view of that nice-looking starry sky through the skylights again. The package comes together to give that abstract feel that one can associate with a classic Doom map.

The combat of this level, despite laying less into the chaotic feel that many of the maps of this wad give, is reasonably tricky. You do have a bit of a hot start, being faced with some revenants on a ledge with an arachnotron guarding your one escape route. Push your way through the arachnotron and stunlock him to death with the chaingun, and then tear down the enemies just down the stairs from him. You can now take the teleporter where you will be taken behind the revenants at the start and be given a rocket launcher to easily take them and the mancubi with them down. Once you get to the red key, you are faced with a fun teleport ambush containing a nasty mixture of enemies that includes an archvile. The monsters all teleport at different spots in the hallway leading to your location and start converging on you, and you do get a plasma rifle to take quicker care of the more troublesome foes.

The red key room is another challenging one, containing an archvile and pain elemental and more deadly enemies parked around the wide open room. After you grab the blue key here and start running back to the exit, you will be interrupted by a spider mastermind right in your face. If you have your BFG ready, go for that one hit kill before she shreds you. This level was kind of sneaky in its difficulty I found. Nothing sticks out individually as incredibly hard, just one of those maps where you will take a look at your health one moment and there won't be much left. This was a solid map, and a nice stylistic break from the rest of the wad.

MAP19 - Future Disrespect

UV | GZDoom

Aha now we're back to that old familiar intensity with motherfuckers EVERYWHERE. Took a fair few deaths in this one, but it's a fun romp. I really liked the stylish texture work of this one. The flesh tunnels are fun to look at. This map feels a bit more boxy compared to some of the others and has an elevated feel to it as you have to scale it to reach the end so to speak. Detailing is impeccable as usual. I really like how Decay manages to create these maps with various textures in a patchwork sort of way that blend into each other really well, so they don't give off an amateur slapdash vibe. Good stuff, mate.

18 hours ago, FistMarine said:

MAP15: Chaotic Zone
Very interesting map but also very chaotic! Unfortunately the HOM errors and crashes kinda ruined the enjoyment of the map. Because I wasn't sure if using Chocolate Doom was the best idea to play the wad and if the wad should have been limit-removing at least, to avoid the vanilla limitations. This is what kinda bothers me about modern vanilla community projects, that they aren't fully vanilla compatible, there always has to be a map containing glitches or crashes. Not really the fault of mapper but I wish testing was done more with the target port (or the minimum required port) instead of mostly ZDoom family ports. Just my two cents.

Huh, I am using chocolate doom too and it didn't crash, I had some HOMs but zero crashes so far.

MAP18- Skies The Limit

UV | GZDoom

Cool space type atmosphere in this one. I thought that combat was evenly spaced in this one and the the ambush after grabbing the red key was intense. Makes for a very fun map.

I thought it was another good map. Going on my list of favs from this megawad and the list keeps growing.

map18 fda - this was just so much fun. every encounter monster mixture encouraged some infighting but also careful weapon selection without being annoying or finicky.

map19 fda - my overwhelming sense playing this map was unease - in a good way! the cyber, midi, flying monsters, spectres, teleporting viles, all out you on edge for various reasons and the combined effect is palpable. good map.

Map19: Future Disrespect

aka Neon15: Future Retrospect

Another radical departure from the original, and radical departure in the wad itself.

This one is a run killer for sure. That cyberdemon at the end can be very unpredictable, and when doing an E2 or D2all attempt I find it's better to take this one way more cautiously than an individual level run. This was the last map made for the project both DM and SP wise. I think given what it came from, it turned out pretty alright, and puts up a decent fight in SP without being too overbearing. It's definitely one of those maps where you gotta make it to the top to exit, which was great for figuring out how to route this.

Spoiler

1xZve9g.png

E8FDBKT.png

Spoiler

I6fFjuH.png

ogYYxDy.png

Spoiler

8PAjfH0.png

CeQIHK7.png

Spoiler

R2tbiGd.png

DWdLGmw.png

Spoiler

WfWizDs.png

lemZFMh.png

Spoiler

Yx8q9QA.png

hY8rc9W.png

Spoiler

ON3vLBY.png

94pgTNz.png

MAP 19:FUTURE DISRESPECT (Crispy UV w/saves)

Time to turn up the heat, b/c this map is a romp to remember. Progression in this one is straightforward, but getting to the top is no pushover. This was one of the rare instances where you have to use the chainsaw, b/c boy did it come in handy in taking out those pesky specters and cacos that block your way, you'll save up ammo too. Once at the top, you'll want to get those revenants, mancubi, and hk's to infight, and take out those stragglers with the rocket launcher. Archviles came in in a triple threat, and they actually got me, first ever death to em in this wad. Luckily, some well placed shots of the BFG should do em in. Speaking of the BFG, I found it to be not so much worth it when dealing with cybercheeks since it normally takes about 4 shots (2 if you get really up close) to take him out w/ 40 cells each, and with the expense of 80 cells I stuck to mostly plasmagunning him down, takes about 140-160 cells, kinda used the SSG a bit to soften him up. Overall, I love the visuals of this map the most, and the combat was one of the best.

Time for some comments on MAP12-20.

MAP 12 – Deactivation by Razgriz, Decay

The Spiderdemon is perfectly placed in the middle of the courtyard. It is difficult to confront from the starting area and promoting infight between the Mastermind and other enemies was awkward too. I gave up and decided to move on in the YK room, which might be the only meaningful way to proceed. No way I am going to jump into the courtyard and get killed just to grab the BFG, the Spiderdemon goes down fast enough with other weapons. Nice use of monster closets all the way through.

MAP 13 – Grey Noise by Razgriz, Decay

I like this one because it prompts movement and aggression against hitscanners at the beginning, then never lets completely up. Monsters are well placed, they cover all areas efficiently and often attack from unexpected angles. You have always to keep eyes and ears open while travelling around this place. The idle Spectres in the nukage are good meat shields for the Arachnotron above. I was forced to bring down the Mancubus in a fast attack and then the level went a bit more linear, with frontal opposition. I was sure the Cyberdemon could be telefragged, but since I had ammo I just aimed at him and had good fun.

MAP 14 – Joint Effort by Doomkid, Decay

This one gave me some real trouble at the start, because of that hawk-eyed Arch-Vile that blasted me on the other side of the map, on the teleport destination. I had to struggle a bit and try many times before things turned out as I planned, i.e. the PE was down in no time and monsters started to infight properly, instead of pursuing me everywhere. I sniped the Vile with the weapons I had available, then it was feasible to run for equipment in the courtyard. Smooth sailing from then on, with the last teleport ambush being a nice adrenaline boost.

MAP 15 – Chaotic Zone by Razgriz

I am sure the intended play here is to grab all weapons, megasphere and invulnerability, jump down and start shooting and moving like crazy. It is against my player instinct to do so, in fact I spent some minutes in the relatively safe nest, waiting for all flying monsters to reach me and face their doom. In the meantime, infighting thinned the demon ranks a lot and I had an easy time bringing down the Arch-Viles and everything within shooting range, except the Cyberdemons. I used the invulnerability to reach the YSK in the cavern and kill the Cyberdemon there. Then I came back to an almost empty battleground for the other keys. Taken this way, the map is not difficult and does not take so long to complete. Other players might be bored taking this approach, but not me. The design is nevertheless good.

MAP 16 – Brushed Off by Razgriz

If the previous map allowed to choose your own strategy, this one has not much freedom. You can’t stay where you start, or you’ll be killed on the spot within seconds. You cannot roam freely because of the PE and differently sized chainguns ready to shoot from every angle. My hope was that some idiot hit the Spiderdemon, in order to distract her with far distance infighting, which takes long because of bullet spread. A Baron funded the project, so I dealt with the flyers and reached the above room in relatively decent shape. The map then is almost over, even though there is teleport ambush by the switch and a blind teleport with chaingunners + Pinkies around (a volatile situation on -fast, I suppose). Eventually, a Cyberdemon teleports in, which felt a bit unnecessary like the Mastermind on MAP01.

MAP 17 – Demon Base by Doomkid

A probably required easy map at this point. It has much more health, armour, cover, ammo and firepower than needed to quickly dispatch everything that moves in front of you. The starting scene with (former) human shields was hilarious. Demon Base was simple but looked nice and was fun to play through.

MAP 18 – Skies the Limits by Decay

A sci-fi vibe lasts through this level, which is not posing major threat but still has some challenging spots, mostly thanks to use of elevation and corners. The group of Cacodemons behind the red door was really difficult to see without entering the room and being exposed. The teleport ambush by the SSG was cleverly designed and speedrunners are probably destined to be pinced between the 2 spawn points. If you don’t, the Arch-Vile is probably going to replenish the ranks with some resurrections in the previous room. The last Spiderdemon was in a good elevated position, but still easy to bring down with the BFG. Another good map by Decay.

MAP 19 – Future Disrespect by Decay

A really good-looking map, the water theme and palette contrast made for a relaxing environment. This somehow mitigated the gameplay, which was hectic and intense. There is a flock of flying balls over your head at the beginning, Arachnotron, Mancubus and Revenant turrets, Demons trying to block your movement. The beginning here is not as difficult as the second part, when you teleport on the upper floor and clusters of heavyweights are ready to fight and infight. Patience and prudence can save a lot of ammo here, but the author has devised exactly what is required to punish this kind of opportunism. One Arch-Vile comes walking on from the hallway and starts rising corpses. After dealing with him, you feel it’s time to go for the Cyberdemon and those other pesky snipers far away, but no, there’s a second Arch-Vile teleporting just behind you, in the midst of demon carcasses. This trap got me completely off-guard and killed me so close to the exit. There's even a third one ahead, as an appetizer before a hard to tackle Cyberdemon (I used the SSG). A harsh but great level, my favourite so far.

MAP 20 – Wrong Format by Razgriz, Decay

This is another interesting tech-base with nice visuals and decorations, including some purely cosmetic constructions behind gratings. It features a challenging hot start, after which it boils down to a very linear path, livened up by the appearance of a Cyberdemon on a ledge at some point. Killing the Cyberdemon quickly might be the greatest challenge for speedrunners; as for me, I killed him slowly from the room below. I also saved before, then reloaded just to try a BFG kamikaze attack. To my surprise, I two-shot him! Never did it before.

Happy Dooming everyone!

MAP19: Future Disrespect

UV, no saves

100% kills, 1/1 secrets

Wow, I liked this one a lot. First off, it looks gorgeous, it's another level with a prominent water theme, with the floor on the bottom level being made of water. This time though, instead of some techy elements we have green and black bricks, marble, and some demonic texturing used. The upper levels uses blue flooring instead of water, keeping the colour themes consistent. Really nice looking arena. 

Gameplay-wise, it's hectic and hard. You once again start off being faced with revenants on the ledge above, and an arachnotron blocking the escape. You have some spectres with him this time, and I hope you have good eyesight because the spectres in this level can be real assholes. To start this level, I quickly grab the chaingun and chainsaw and run out to the rocket launcher. I just chainsawed the spectres and chaingunned the arachnotron, then used rockets on the cacos and pain elemental that come in. I also use rockets on the revenants before going up and snipe out the annoying arachnotron through the cage, because he can be quite a nuisance as you navigate the level. When you go up to the upper level get out SSG ready, because the spectres up here are the real bad ones in the level. You can hardly see them against the black bricks, and there is a cyberdemon through the bars straight ahead, so if you aren't prepared to blast them away in an instant you'll almost certainly have your movement hampered by them as you try to scurry out of the cyberdemon's sights. 

Straferunning across the gap leads you to a horde of zombiemen and a mancubus. Up here you also find a soulsphere, which is invaluable to your survival. The next encounter sees you mow down some imps and hell knights, and then the ledge ahead contains an archvile with a large amount of mid-tier enemies. Try to get a good BFG shot in to kill the archvile in one hit and hopefully damage the others a fair bit as well, raising the stairs to the platform ahead if you need to. This archvile is really good at getting a zap in on you since escaping his sight is quite awkward without dropping down to the lower level and having to make your back up, so you'll want him gone ASAP. As you try to progress forward, another archvile teleports in behind you in his place, BFG that one out of existence as well. Your next notable encounter has a small hall full of hitscanners with yet another archvile. Try to save the BFG ammo though and just rocket or shotgun him and the hitscanners to death. Finally now, you get to face down the cyberdemon. He has a mancubus in his room with him, so you can try to get him infighting with that and get a point-blank BFG on him that way. I am able to 2-shot a cyberdemon with the BFG otherwise, but I'm a little inconsistent at it so I prefer getting an easy first shot in using this method. After he is dead, you can exit the level.

This one was really fun to play and looked gorgeous. One of my absolute favourites so far.

Bourgeois Megawad\Chocolate Doom\Hurt Me Plenty\saves when needed

Map 19: Future disrespect

Results: 100% of everything

Time: 5:05 min

Deaths: 5

This map is quite different compared to the rest, I like the feel, like it's located underwater or something. The combat is rather good, hard but not unfair. The problem can be the cyberdemon, he's on a relatively small room, and getting zapped by the arch-vile can be a serious issue.

Deaths= 26+5=31

MAP19: Future Disrespect

UV | GZDoom

This one kicked my butt for awhile. I stuck with it and did better as I went, but this map definitely had tough situations. The Archviles and the Cyber were tough in this one. It was a different map design and it made it feel like a different experience. I feel it was kind of an odd one...not bad, just different.

MAP20 - Wrong Format

UV | GZDoom

Another absolute bastard of a map that slaps you in the face right at the start utterly surrounded by Imps, Revs, Mancs, a SINGLE Pain Elemental, a bunch of Zombies plinking at you through a wire fence and a herd of spectres blocking your one path of escape. Raz and Decay have created another vicious monster that bites hard and refuses to let go as it thrashes you around. It's a spiteful map that doesn't want you to have any reprieve. It will not back down for an instant. No more breathers, no more being nice... Welcome to The Bourgeois Zone, motherfucker.

map20 fda - that freaking cyber man, evil placement. i guess you could go back to the area below him. luckily you are given enough cells to cheese him. that start is also absolutely manic

Map 20: Wrong Format

aka aeon19: Wrong Number

A grungy city map turned into a Doom2 city map. The cyber in this map is probably the biggest bastard of the entire wad. More runs have been ended by him than any other set up, which is worse because he is at the end of E2 runs and 2/3 of the way through a D2all attempt. Fuck him.

Anyway, I personally feel this is one of, if not the hardest, map in the entire set. If it were not for the limitation of E2 skies being stuck in 12-20, I definitely would've thrown this towards the end of the wad. However, it does make for a nice trio, 18, 19, and 20 being a solid 3 maps in a row before going to hell in E3, which plays nice for a few maps before the intensity heats up again. The city look is also unique in the set, which makes me wonder if I should've detailed another map like this as well. I feel like although this is a very linear map, its circular pathing feels quite good and I am quite happy with how this turned out.

Spoiler

mbNP3VA.png

3VdA8QY.png

h6n57dV.png

0OcnhRl.png

VzxW9Zm.png

MAP 20:WRONG FORMAT (Crispy, UV w/saves)

Fuck me that beginning area got me so many damn times. Start off surrounded by a bunch of mancubi, a lone revenant, and one pain elemental. Yeah, no thanks, best option for me to do was just run. But even that won't save me, as turning around the corner in the hallway of that juicy soulsphere will have me face off against 1 arachnotron and some revenants, followed by one more arachnotron and 2 pain elementals further down. If there's one thing I learned about playing maps like these, the best strategy is to deal with it piece-meal instead of going guns blazing. I'm incredibly grateful that the mappers were at least not that sadistic and had a monster blocking linedef near the soulsphere so no loose lost souls would get my ass when I was peek-a-boo shooting the arachnotron. The BFG again is a godsend in this map, spammed it against the various foes that were left, but didn't have enough ammo to deal with cybie so I had to peek-a-boo with the SSG. I got pretty damn sloppy here, looks like things are only gonna get harder from here.

Edited by VoanHead

Map18 - Skies the Limits

I really enjoyed this map. To me it had a very natural single player feel to it, clearing out the different rooms and taking care of the monsters. It was refreshing to have a different space setting (even if it’s just a change to the skybox I. Also the music fit the setting very well. The teleporting monsters was very intense as you don’t have an escape route. In the final room after grabbing the BFG I spammed it to take out the enemies, so I didn’t have much ammo remaining. I noticed there was still one enemy left to kill so I thought that it would be an enemy camped out at the exit as we’ve seen a few times before in the wad. To my surprise when backtracking there was a full blown spider mastermind sitting there (I had failed to notice her awakening sound effect at the beginning). I unloaded my remaining plasma and rockets and was thankfully able to finish her off with the super shotgun. Really great map (probably one of my favs so far), ended up completing it with only 40 health.

Map19 - Future Disrespect

I really like how the layout of this map is with the floors you have to ascend up into. The chainsaw at the beginning is nearly mandatory for taking out the specters. But once the 1st level is cleared out you have some breathing room to teleport into the next floor. Up top the heat is turned up again with the multiple archvilles (that one that teleports in behind you is especially a pain in the ass). Trying to snipe at the final cyberdemon boss while running behind a corner was also a bit of a pain but overall I enjoyed this map.

Map20 - Wrong Format

Another scorcher of a map this time around. Absolutely loved this one. The detail on this map feels like a cut above the rest. I like how you can actually see some of the outside world beyond the map, gives it a real sense of place. The beginning is a sizzling hot start, and if you don’t act fast you’ll be killed in no time. Its a bit difficult since you start with very little weapons and ammo and are forced to explore further to have any chance of killing the monsters. One cheeky area of monster placement is the pain elementals at the end of the long hallway, right after getting the rocket launcher. It’s like you want to use the rocket launcher, but if you miss time your shot, it will hit a  lost soul avoiding the pain elemental, and you may actually absorb some damage yourself if it’s too close. Also guarding the exit is a cyberdemon but you can actually run into and defeat him in the middle area of the map due to the spiral like design of the level. I also liked how the switch to open up the exit area is conveniently placed right in front of the bars that lower. To me, this and Map18 seem very much at home in the single player experience. Again this one is another favorite of mine. After this I really want to look up some more Decay and Razgriz maps that are more single player focused so if you have any recommendations I'll be sure to add them to my "to play" list of doom wads.

Edit: And of course I got to check out more of Doomkid's stuff (Rowdy Rudy and Ray Mohawk are already on the list).

1 hour ago, Doritos420 said:

After this I really want to look up some more Decay and Razgriz maps that are more single player focused so if you have any recommendations I'll be sure to add them to my "to play" list of doom wads.

Razgriz didn't really do anything here. The only SP components he did were for map10, some of 16 (I altered the map layout to fit it better and added the repopulation mechanics/cyberdemon) and map22 (worst map in the set by far, I only added a couple repopulation mechanics so it wasn't total garbage). He's also never made any other SP maps.

For me, there's only 1 other single player map I ever made, map03: Ravage of Refracted Reality. Otherwise, I've got nothing else for you, traditionally I have been an exclusively PVP content maker only. Bourgeois is more or less my first attempt at real SP mapping, as Ravage drew some play style inspiration from other refracted reality maps to some degree and blended it with more iwad-ish game play, but Bourgeois stands more on its own.

Edited by Decay

MAP20: Wrong Format

UV, no saves

100% kills, 1/1 secrets

A nicely detailed city map, this is another memorable level for this wad. First off, the visuals are solid, and I loved the little inaccessible areas visible through the cages that added to the environment. In the combat department, we see a lot of familiar elements that are kicked up a notch in this map. The hot start feels hotter than ever. Your scramble for a quiet moment feels more desparate. Even resources seem to feel tighter in this one, as I often found myself getting low on ammo at about the time the cyberdemon is encountered, although this may have to do with the order in which I tackled things. I also would not have been able to tell this is a deathmatch map, but when I clipped over to the DM area and ran around for a while it's much easier to see the way it flows.

Many players are likely to die at the very start of this one. You are surrounded on all sides by enemies, some hitscanners are on your level, the ledge above is crawling with mancubi, there is one revenant on a smaller ledge, a pain elemental is roaming, and the cage straight ahead has a small army of hitscanners with another mancubus off to the side. Your exit path, like the previous map, contains some spectres and an arachnotron to block you. And amidst all the chaos, all you have is your  starting rifle and super shotgun, or you can add the chaingun and shotgun when you kill the shotgunners or chaingunner in the pit with you. You'll have to not stop moving for a second if you want to avoid damage here, get rid of the hitscanners in the pit with you and the pain elemental as quickly as you can, feeling free to fire at the hitscanners behind the cage as they can deal a lot of damage to you while you're tied up with the pain elemental, then blast your way through the spectres to get to the soulsphere, a great mercy that this map gives you.

Next you can take down the arachnotron in your way. He can be pretty awkward to fight because there are revenants on the ledge behind him that like to fire at you, and you'll definitely have left enemies alive before that can see you when you duck behind the corner for cover. Once he's down you will finally have access to the rocket launcher, which you can use on the revenants on the ledge above and the pain elementals down the hall you visit next. I revisited the previous areas here to take down those mancubi with the rockets, which probably explains my ammo dilemmas, but oh well. Next up you are introduced to the cyberdemon, and this one doesn't mess around. I used all my plasma on him and had to finish him off with the SSG. This probably was not a good plan as you do get a BFG up next which I'm sure would have been easier... oh well! Next up you'll get some mega armour and be faced with any of the enemies you didn't take care of at the start, plus a few more. Then you hit the switch to unlock the way forward and take the teleporter to the BFG. I used the BFG to destroy the barons and imps and the exit hallway and exited the map.

This one was quite tough. I'm not sure if I'd call it the toughest up to this point for me personally but it would have to be in the top 3 or so. The start especially is probably the most frantic yet. 

4 hours ago, Decay said:

For me, there's only 1 other single player map I ever made, map03: Ravage of Refracted Reality.

Thanks for the recommendation, turns out it's in my to play list already. It looks really interesting, & thanks for the link.

MAP21 - Pretending to be Original

UV | GZDoom

This was a funny one that gave me a couple of cheese-moments, but was also no slouch with its demon placement and a well-timed monster closet that almost caught me off-guard. Almost. ;^) A fair bit simpler compared to MAP20 but makes up for it with its demon team-ups to keep you on your toes and pick your targets. I think I went pretty gung ho on this map and thought since Decay was rather insistent with giving me a shit-ton of rockets that I should feed everyone ballistic missile sandwiches. They're explosively delicious!

Map19: Future disrespect

Is the disrespect a rocket to the face?

This map is more reminiscent of Map 01 in terms of visual theming, the . Still not a cakewalk by any means. This is mainly due to the cyber, who is placed in an... inconvenient... place, and will most likely hit you at least once.

Visually speaking, the map has a certain beauty to it, especially with the use of water and marble textures. A part of me wishes that more of these maps would have that same visual style to them, since it looks fantastic.

My stats:

Kills: 100%

Secrets 100%

Deaths: 5

Map20: Wrong Format

Had to replay this one... because I forgot it.

This map pulls no punches. The opening is a prime example. There are mancubi on ledges and hitscanners directly in front of you. Your best bet and only bet is to run and grab the Super Shotgun, and then book it to the soul sphere/supercharge. Don't think, just run like hell ( pun intended). At least you're given a BFG to kill the cybie with.

The strangest part about this map, at least to me, is that this looks like a city map. You can even see buildings outside. Would have been fun to explore them, though I do see why they just chose to use the visual motif of a city map. Rather this than pull a Sandy Peterson ( love you Sandy!).

The most irritating lost soul that I've ever seen hid himself in a corner and forced me to scour the map and find him. Have lost souls ever not been annoying?

My stats:

kills: 100%
Secrets: 100%

Deaths:7

Map21 - Pretending to be Original

This map feels like a bit of a breather compared to what we’ve had previously. The beginning is a bit hectic with the revenants and hitscanners, but once you establish a foothold there’s not much pressure and you can take things at your own pace from there. I liked the use of the lighting in this level, and how the deeper you go inside the structure it becomes more and more dark. This one also felt a lot more linear, but I enjoyed it all the same. In addition the spooky cross on the floor was a nice touch.

Map21: Pretending to be Original

aka map01 of DBAB3: LMS

So it's worth pointing out that the maps were arranged first by theme according to sky. Then they were arranged according to DM flow rather than SP difficulty curve. So after 3 bigger/longer maps, we are given a smaller map to work with. Incidentally it works well as an introduction to E3's theming. Fear not about the difficulty level, as it will ramp up again eventually, but the next few maps are a nice reprieve from the ending maps of E2. Stylistically this is a large departure from it's original theme of just metal and brown rocks. The DM side of this uses more teleports to help get around as well. Was this map easy? Yea it was. Was it a quick bit of fun? Yes! Want to make it a bit more challenging? Try to beat the UV Speed or Pacifist record of 28 seconds

Bourgeois Megawad\Chocolate Doom\Hurt Me Plenty\saves when needed

Map 20: Wrong Format

Deaths: 1

Results: 100% of everything

Time: 5:00 mins

This map reminds me of Map 01, with some enemies behind a fence and all that. I like a lot the atmosphere and look, maybe my favorite part is the pain elemental hallway, not because of those meatballs, but because of the city? that's behind the window (It's a window for me). The cyberdemon is not that threatening, but his position and the revenant placement can be annoying.

Deaths: 31+1=32