Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

Out of the official doom wads, which map32 was your favorite?

Out of the official doom wads, which map32 was your favorite?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Explain why if you want.

• Doom II
    • TNT
    • Plutonia
    • One of the Unity Port Add-Ons (BTSX, ect)

I think I’m the only person on planet Earth who likes the Wolf3D secret levels - most people talk about them in terms that are somewhere between “neutral” and “the wolf3D maps murdered my first born”...

Go 2 It is more raw fun, and it also has the cool “references earlier game” thing going on, what with being an Entryway clone!

For me, caribbean is the best, even though I'm not a huge fan of the Cassali maps, this one is very cool: Probably what I like the most is the ending, when you get to an island. Very cool

Go 2 It rules.  Packed with monsters, lots of routes to take, doesn't waste your time.  It also seems to have had a profound impact on mapping since it came out.

It's a mixtape map.  If I were to disk-jockey-compile maps for my uninitiated friends to play, I gotta find a place for Go 2 It no matter what.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:11 PM, Doomkid said:

I think I’m the only person on planet Earth who likes the Wolf3D secret levels - most people talk about them in terms that are somewhere between “neutral” and “the wolf3D maps murdered my first born”...

Go 2 It is more raw fun, and it also has the cool “references earlier game” thing going on, what with being an Entryway clone!

You're not the only one. I like them for what they are, 31 was a fun little blast from the past. But 32, whenever I'm testing out a new gameplay mod and I need to play games with a Cyberdemon like RIGHT NOW. IDCLEV 32. IDDQD. IDKFA. Or whenever I just want to play with a Cyberdemon. It's easy to get to. Yes, I could just make a level with a single Cyberdemon and replace map01 with it and cut right to the chase, but it's almost a ritual at this point. Plus, I also kinda like the music :)

And besides, how many times have the SS and Keen actors been replaced with something else throughout Doom history? They're invaluable.

I have no clue why everyone is saying Go 2 It was the best map. I just finished it, and let me tell you it was NOT fun. The map has over 400 enemies, most are Revenants, Arch-Viles, Arachnotrons and Cyberdemons.

No map from DOOM 2 was worse than it. None. You better get used to saving, loading, dying and hiding if you wanna play the map. It took me 1 hour and about 20 minutes to beat this one map. Screw it all.

Sorry, I just really hated it. DOOM 2's map 32 was the best in my opinion.

10 hours ago, TuomasGaming said:

I have no clue why everyone is saying Go 2 It was the best map. I just finished it, and let me tell you it was NOT fun. The map has over 400 enemies, most are Revenants, Arch-Viles, Arachnotrons and Cyberdemons.

No map from DOOM 2 was worse than it. None. You better get used to saving, loading, dying and hiding if you wanna play the map. It took me 1 hour and about 20 minutes to beat this one map. Screw it all.

That's what we call Slaughter Map and the Doom community loves those for some reason

And I agree the level is a chore

10 hours ago, TuomasGaming said:

It depends very much on play style and skill level. I was able to get through the first couple of fights without loading, and I had experience with that kind of combat from other WADs. Certainly it was difficult but getting past each cluster of enemies was more satisfying because of it. I enjoyed the pace of combat that required the player to keep shooting and moving almost constantly.

Now if what you are used to is Doom 2's style of combat, with a slow trickle of enemies, or even the rest of Plutonia, with its precise placement of small numbers, I can see why something like Go 2 It wouldn't be fun. It requires the player to be constantly on the move when they are not simply hiding, which is fun for me but not for many others.

Basically, it's all subjective. It's okay to like Grosse and hate Go 2 It, and it's okay to dislike Grosse and love Go 2 It.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, garudave said:

It's a mixtape map.  

That's a new one - someone get doom running from a cassette tape.  

Spoiler

Oh, and the best one of course is Go2It.  And anyone who disagrees is incorrect.

20 hours ago, TuomasGaming said:

Frustration can definitely color your initial response to a map.  I would suggest trying it again in a few months and seeing if your opinion changes.  I played Alien Vendetta before going through Plutonia, so my pain tolerance is a little higher than the minimum requirements lol.

Masochism is a hallmark of many Doom maps through the years, mostly because of Plutonia's dickishness and particularly the influence Go 2 It had on many mappers.  That's probably why you see so many people praise it.

On 6/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, TuomasGaming said:

Okay but I thought you were going to tell us why the map isn't fun

2 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

Okay but I thought you were going to tell us why the map isn't fun

Because it's a slaughter map probably

Go 2 it. It's a cluster fuck feast but it's a good cluster fuck. Maybe i should do Slaughter map like that (thinking emoji)

Go 2 It, no competition. Caribbean is probably the crappiest Casali map(couldn't they have picked a midi that wasn't "Into Sandy's City")and while fighting a Cyberdemon in Wolfenstein is cool, it's basically a one-and-done map. Hectic will make you rage out of proportion to the tiny size of the map. And who exactly is it who cares about the releases in Unity.

Just the uber-mainstream Doomers or something? I'm really curious. I'm

guessing Eviternity and Ancient Aliens might be in play at least (BTSX1 is not 32 maps unless my memory really sucks).

11 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Go 2 It, no competition. Caribbean is probably the crappiest Casali map(couldn't they have picked a midi that wasn't "Into Sandy's City")and while fighting a Cyberdemon in Wolfenstein is cool, it's basically a one-and-done map. Hectic will make you rage out of proportion to the tiny size of the map. And who exactly is it who cares about the releases in Unity.

Just the uber-mainstream Doomers or something? I'm really curious. I'm

guessing Eviternity and Ancient Aliens might be in play at least (BTSX1 is not 32 maps unless my memory really sucks).

I care about the unity releases. I have doom on the switch as well as the pc, and the unity releases are the only wads I can play on the go. There's also still plenty of people out there who don't have a pc that can properly run even games like doom. Until just a few months ago, I was one of them.

If by IWADs only, definitely Go 2 It. 

No question. Basically Entryway on steroids and crack.

On 6/5/2021 at 10:09 AM, TuomasGaming said:

I like this blatant lie. Go 2 It only has 206 monsters.

10 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I like this blatant lie. Go 2 It only has 206 monsters.

400 monsters? 

omg.....imagine if 50 of them were archies only!!!

Not even Go 4 It (map 32 of Plutonia 2) has more than 400 monsters.

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

400 monsters? 

omg.....imagine if 50 of them were archies only!!!

TBH, Plutonia makes people overthink monster counts. Only Map32 has more than 200. I used to think Plutonia has a lot of mons throughout the whole WAD, but apparently it's not the case. Surprisingly, there are only 19 AVs on Map32. Though I have to say there are more Cybers than I would have thought.

To be fair, the length of those maps and the fact that those pesky archies and torture elementals exists makes the count go high, which is normal.

Then again, the initial count is what matters.