• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Suitepee

The DWIronman League dies to: Firebox

Category 1
Survived at 22:22 (908/908 kills)
Demo: ReaperAA_firebox_DWIL.zip

Well well well. This was... actually a pretty fun map. Aesthetics are a bit too 90s, but the gameplay was pretty fun. The last arena is the main centrepiece of this map and damn did it make my palms sweat more than any gymnasium could.

Seeing BFG at the very very end made me slightly mad. But its ok, atleast I survived :)

14 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

mum I'm scared

I typed the total monster count and not how many I'd killed; oops!! It should have been 761 dead. 787 if you count post-mortem infighting. :P

Just now, Dragonfly said:

I typed the total monster count and not how many I'd killed; oops!! It should have been 761 dead. 787 if you count post-mortem infighting. :P

you do realize that doesn't make it better :P

Category 1, survived in 22:48. Left some monsters alive.

Spoiler

A more lenient map than expected. I ran for the exit as soon as I saw what looked like one; I felt I was more likely to survive that than trying to kill those viles.

fironman-pseudonaut.zip

first time trying this ironman thing out, inadvertently cheated by playing on hmp, otherwise its cat 1. still think its an entertaining replay.

Spoiler

can watch my horrible attempt at punching barons. could also use some help with setting using prboom+. don't usually use that source port. the lighting is dark and weird looking compared to dragonfly's. at the end the i couldn't kill the revenant since my autoaim would shoot the barrier near the floor, not sure why this is happening. what do most people playing wads for this thread use as a source port/settings? I found the setting in prboom+ to set default difficulty to UV. oh and the time was 23:something can give me a DNF/DQ is you want.

testdemo1.rar

20 minutes ago, donevan427 said:

first time trying this ironman thing out, inadvertently cheated by playing on hmp, otherwise its cat 1. still think its an entertaining replay.

Hide contents

can watch my horrible attempt at punching barons. could also use some help with setting using prboom+. don't usually use that source port. the lighting is dark and weird looking compared to dragonfly's. at the end the i couldn't kill the revenant since my autoaim would shoot the barrier near the floor, not sure why this is happening. what do most people playing wads for this thread use as a source port/settings? I found the setting in prboom+ to set default difficulty to UV. oh and the time was 23:something can give me a DNF/DQ is you want.

testdemo1.rar

Feel free to submit another run on UV. You have the rest of the month to do it if you so wish.

I guess this is probably called revenge for the number of times my maps have killed you John.

57 Kills before entering "That room".

Fair to say it did not end well.....

Category 2 - I opened up the start room and didn't progress much further when this was released. I think that shows here.....

fireboxcb.zip

Cat 2, I never played the map but I vaguely remember watching parts of the starting area and rev room being built on stream which is foreknowledge, but I didn't see the rest of it. Dead in 13:01 with 802/908 (newfangled max kills) or 842/948 (old and shitty kill counter).

dwim-bx-firebox.lmp

Spoiler

I started to relax for a few seconds after I thought the hard stuff was done already and forgot that roaming cybers don't just magically disappear after they finish infighting.

Cat 1, 761 / 908 kills, time of 20m 15s.

Got caught between a crushing wall I wasn't going to make it through to my right, and a swarm of Cacos to my left.

Spoiler

Does the SSG require an archvile jump? I checked every wall and even thought there was possible a hidden switch on the sides of that fireblu texture block. I don't think a single AV jump had enough height, but I did get bounced pretty good around for a bit, so I can see it being done with some luck.

cat1_super_firebox.zip

12 minutes ago, super said:

Hide contents

Does the SSG require an archvile jump?

Spoiler

There are some very thin stairs on one side of the platform with the SSG. No AVJ necessary.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, Suitepee said:

(This map might not be the kindest to blind run players, in all honesty.)

I agree. :)

Category 1:

FrCyMZ6.png

To be fair, I maybe would have survived just the extra time given by the invulnerability if I knew what was coming.

Boxes.zip

Category 1 dead at 5:52 w/69 kills (nice). Since this is my first cat 1 submission I just wanted to not die at the first deadly trap. Mission not accomplished :(. Thank you Suitepee for the map and for hosting this month's challenge.

DWIFirebox-SMD.zip

Edited by ScrappyMcDoogerton

Category 1

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 22/908

Time of death: 4:38

dwi_pegleg_firebox_cat1.zip

I didn't see a whole lot of the map. I remember watching a couple parts of this map being made, but it didn't give me an advantage except remembering something about the "gimmick" to open doors, and I didn't know anything about the enemy placement. I went in thinking that perhaps I could make a nice run, perhaps even to double digit percentage kills. Then I was ambushed from behind, which I didn't really notice on account of being more focused on the revenant that I saw in front of me. So, I didn't see much of the map, but the beginning of the map was interesting enough. I'm looking forward to going back through it again.

Standard, Category 1
Kills: 55/908
Time of death: at 3:48
Demo recorded in: dsdaDoom 0.18.0    dwi_PeccatumMihzamiz_Firebox_cat1.rar

The first demo I've ever recorded :D! And that's about the only thing I can be proud of with this edition of DWIronman :p.
Big thank you to Daerik for making a demoscript and to Meowgi for additional advice. And thanks to all the shoulders their advice was built upon!

Edited by Peccatum Mihzamiz : thanks added

cat 1  

67/908 kills

dead at 5:09

yo i fucking suck lmaoooo.

Spoiler

i even saw the invuln and was like "ima need to grab that after i shoot the wall probably" and i still didnt and got blocked in too fast smh

sapphicsDWIfirebox.zip

Cat 1. Did it on a whim. Survived. 18:46. I did reflex save while reading chat and completely forgetting I was playing it for Ironman, but never died or loaded.

Recording