Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Suitepee

The DWIronman League dies to: Firebox

Going to be attempting my run of this tomorrow evening on livestream at around 6-7pm GMT. Should be fun to see how I do on my own map.

I sure have missed doing the fun obituaries for over a week now.....hopefully there's a surge of late entrants!

Well, here's my attempt: (starts at about the 20-minute mark)

https://youtu.be/krjWXdegKWk

I chose to not practice the heck out of my own map (to give @an_mutt a fair chance and for the sake of "entertainment"), and paid the price by dying in the final room due to a Cyberdemon on roughly 450 monsters killed (don't have an exact amount). That final room opening minute sure is a killer, as I intended it to be.

The creation beats the creator this time around.

Category 1, Had an invisibility and thought I had the chaingun out, but I had the RL, so I blew myself up. I didn't have the kill counter on, not sure how many kills.

arbysFireboxIron.zip

With two and a half days remaining for my inaugural Ironman thread, I'm really really hoping for a flood of late entries.

Will @4shockblast or @Bdubzzz's time be challenged by anyone? Can @an_mutt obtain his 4th Unclebowl point? Will anyone die quicker than @Pegleg? Are there anymore inventive deaths happening? Will I get the opportunity to make more witty Alfonzo-esque obituaries?

I'm hoping for new answers to all of these and more before the month closes!

My miserable run:

Cat 2

28/908  (Sound of energetic bell and lady screaming "SHAME!")

Starts 12:26

Ironman_Firebox_hc.zip

Category 1, Dead with 144 kills.

Spoiler

In the Invuln fight, I kept the trigger held down too long after the powerup faded and facerocketed a Pinky Demon.

I went back afterwards to do a proper playthrough with saves - this level is pretty cool. Short and to-the-point, with no wasted space. I liked the choreography of the two warmup rounds out in the street and inside the warehouse. The texturing, lighting, & architecture are all pretty solid - nothing flashy, but it gets the job done. And I respect the commitment to minimalism, where the main event is deliberately limited to Chaingun & Rocket Launcher and their strengths & weaknesses relative to each other become heightened and brought into focus. (I didn't figure out how to get it, but the optional SSG dangled just out of reach is a nice use of secrets too.) The final battle isn't the kind of gameplay I seek out, but it doesn't drag on too long and wasn't too much of a chore to solve. I especially like how the Arch-Viles which arrive to chase you into the exit can cause an explosive finale, sending you sailing over the finish line.

Here is my Category 3 submission.

dwi_pegleg_firebox_cat3.zip

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 148/908 (there was infighting going on at the moment I died, so the kill count got up to 154 by the time all was said and done, but it was about there)

Time: 6:40

I did much better than in my Category 1 run (it would be somewhat difficult not to do better, but I digress). I watched Suitepee's stream and practiced the map a few times, so I had a good idea of how to approach things, although I still wasn't terribly confident about the ambush in the dark. Early on, I wondered why there was such a dichotomy between a bunch of single digit runs and a bunch over 50%, and then I found out. Even knowing what was coming, I was still overwhelmed. I briefly tried it on a lower difficulty and, much like Criticality, I found I had a better time; I may go back and play it again on a lower difficulty.

Ultimately, not a bad map, though, especially for a first outing. I encourage you to make more.

Just in time!

Spoiler

Dead, with 579 kills. 4-2 to me in the Britbowl! Everybody must tune in to this VOD at 4:15 for what is easily the greatest moment in my Doom playing career.

Well a big thanks to everyone who took part in this Ironman League for June 2021! It was a lot of fun coming up with the Alfonzo-esque obituaries and watching the various demos.

Winner for standard leaderboard: @Bdubzzz with an impressive time of 6:47.

Winner for prepared leaderboard: @4shockblast with a ridiculous time of 2:51.

I wouldn't mind doing this again sometime in the future.

I was being so careful! Then I wandered into the dark room, the walls opened and my will to live just evaporated instantly. 69 kills, which is... sufficient.

Category 1

Died with 69 monsters at 7m16s

Evidence (as if I'd bother faking a run like this!): http://files.teamouse.net/doom/demos/dxndwi59-firebox.lmp

image.png.7199ceae65df8ca63138927dc6b6d62e.png

Edit: WHAT bugger I thought this was JULY hold on

(The time above is for Firebox! I just didn't realized I'd missed June)

11 hours ago, DavidN said:

...bugger I thought this was JULY hold on

(The time above is for Firebox! I just didn't realized I'd missed June)

Haha :). Now please go and play Scythe 2 quickly.