Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

About You: List 9 important Doom WADs.

doomwads.png.a86eae95e8821a7015cc4953c74ab0a4.png

Might be a stretch to say that everyone hates sigil but I do like it a lot more than most people, Sunder is guilty pleasure because I don't play the maps as much as I wander in awe around them with iddqd and idclip, map30 of Speed of Doom is pure blockbuster badass!

39 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

image.png

wheej

Who loves TNT? I think the greatest praise I've ever seen it get is "not quite as bad as some people think, but still bad"

wadsranked.png.53ada1950fbcd3d76b5b2622430e1a5e.png

Hate is a strong word, I don't hate Eviternity at all. The gameplay is just a bit too much for my senses and I'm not a super-fan of some of the OTEX aesthetics, though I get the appeal of both the wad and textures overall. What I do hate is that the hard work from talented creators is too much for my delicate senses.

Powertrip is a bit new for something I always come back to; I could have easily put Lunatic, Vanguard, or Suspended In Dusk in its place, as well as many others; and the wads with the best ending/best soundtrack are interchangeable. Actually the top three in my list are all interchangeable.

Lunar Catastrophe is a guilty pleasure because there are so many wonderful and wild wads out there, but sometimes I just want Doom 1 without playing the same IWAD levels over and over.

Edited by Lippeth

24 minutes ago, Sena said:

Who loves TNT? I think the greatest praise I've ever seen it get is "not quite as bad as some people think, but still bad"

On some level I can see why people might enjoy it: it's got its own custom soundtrack unlike Plutonia and it engages in some pretty fun concepts that might've been pretty unheard of when it came out back in 1996. Heck, there's a literal YouTuber who named himself after one of the maps, so I can only assume that it had a positive impact for folks.

That being said, I personally think that it's an absolute slog and that Plutonia is the superior experience.

I'm not even going to TRY to play around in an image editing program.

Favourite Soundtrack: TNT Revilution (Outside of Jeremy Doyle's sudden appearance after I left the project, the whole thing was assembled by me, we had a functional 35 track soundtrack all the way through testing in the Kyka/Eris days. Jaws didn't like any of the fourth composer's tracks, so Doyle's stuff replaced all of it. since I put it together, im fondest of this initial pack the most, sadly I no longer have a copy of it.)

Favourite of all time: TNT Evilution. I found this so amazing and eye opening back in the day, both in the PC version, and the limited selection of levels from the PS1 version. To this day I love most of the wad; I only dislike Quarry and Baron's Lair/Den.

Favourite Ending: Hell to Pay, with ALT as a close second. For a megawad of its age, Hell to Pay did a lot of cinematic stunts that wowed me, and the final map definitely left a great impression.

Havent Played but want to: DTWID Lost Episodes, and the sequel, if Xaser ever finds time to finish it. I love those TWID style levels where people went out of their way to make classic-feeling levels. Modern stuff is just too dry and choreographed usually for my liking, to the point ive started predicting everything. I don't get that in classic-styled levels.

You Love, Everyone Hates: I've already mentioned TNT and Hell to Pay, both could fit in here. I will go with A.L.T. as its definitely got a lot of haters. Almost no other wad since TNT has captured my imagination like this one did.

You Hate, Everyone Loves: I finished Deathless recently and did not enjoy it very much, sorry Jimmy. I know it was speedmapped, but the whole thing felt predictable and by-the-books and I didn't like the insistence on hiding all secrets with invisible lines (I remember finding an automap in a secret a few times, how useful THAT was), the dictated control on how to play by disabling jumping/crouching deep in the wad lumps instead of just saying 'not designed with this in mind' is a personal 'please dont do this' for me, and at the end of my play, I only really liked the secret levels and the penultimate levels for E2 and E4. Wont be replaying this one unless Doom Launcher's stats get wiped.

Fondest Memory: Uncovering the face of Cabal's Image of Evil by @Soundblock after finding his levels on one of my random shovelware CDs that I bought from a local second hand store, and this wad literally being the first user wad I EVER played. Then I played the other levels on that disk by him, and the only other levels on that disc that even came close to how awesome the Cabal levels were, was the Dr Sleep levels. Imagine my surprise when I learned this same guy had more Cabal levels in the Master Levels. As a bonus fond memory: Me getting to help Soundblock with testing of Plasmaplant many years later. Its not every day you get to meet your heroes AND help them out with a new project. I wanted to put Revilution/Devilution in here too, but the overall curse of TNT and the infinite dramas with every TNT project mutes a lot of the happier memories I have of working with Kyka and feeling like I was making a difference in the community for once.

Always come back to: 5th Project of Doom, a little known Episode replacement for the original Doom with interconnected levels and a feel of progression as the journey continues. One of the first PWADs I ever played outside of shovelware discs, the other being Vilecore. I recommend people hunt it down, as its not on the archives or the Doom Wiki. Even kmexii hasnt reviewed it :p

Guilty Pleasure: 50 Shades of GRAYTALL. No contest. A perfect mix of serious and jokewad, with hauntingly beautiful maps, only marred by the inclusion of both regular maps and slaughtermaps in one wad; its best to keep these two styles seperate in my eyes.

MxUAn48.png

Disambiguation:

Spoiler

Best Soundtrack - Struggle: Antaresian Legacy

All Time Favourite - No End In Sight

Favourite Ending - Three's A Crowd

Haven't Played but Want To - BTSX / Sunlust

You Love, Everyone Hates - Doom: The Lost Episode

You Hate, Everyone Loves - Scythe (hate's a strong word, it just feels pretty underwhelming compared with its successor)

Fondest Memory - Alien Vendetta (specifically when I first reached the peak of the volcano in MAP20. Unforgettable)

Always Come Back To - Doom The Way id Did

Guilty Pleasure - Lunar Catastrophe (not a dig at the wad's quality, placed it here for the same reason as @Lippeth)

1 hour ago, Sena said:

Yep, there are people who love it like MtPain27 (he makes Doom reviews  called Dean of Doom) who likes it, and if that's the biggest praise you head that's weird, people say that it's highs are higher than any other iwad, etc. But I think that not enough people love it too much to place it as "everyone loves, I hate" spot 

Favourite Soundtrack: eviternity

Favourite of all time: sunlust? 

Favourite Ending: sunder (no ending for you lol) 

Havent Played but want to: NoSp2

You Love, Everyone Hates: toilet of the gods (everyone is an overstatement tbh) 

You Hate, Everyone Loves: valiant

Fondest Memory: doom II

Always come back to: wads which start with sun

Guilty Pleasure: doom II? 

Can't think of any WADs that are hated by everyone and didn't completely deserve it, but it's funny to see people putting TNT on both hated by everyone and loved by everyone in the same thread emRW9wJ.jpg.fd46df68a103580c00670b1ad867d3af.jpg

7 minutes ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

(Kinda bothersome that Lost Episode has no titlepic)

I know, right? At least its got a superb ENDPIC. Always nice to see that little gem get some much-needed appreciation.

about you doom wads.jpg

Best Soundtrack - Sunlust

All Time Favorite - Rowdy Rudy: Powertrip

Favourite Ending - Freaky Panties 2: Boxers or Briefs

Haven't Played but Want To - SIGIL

You Love, Everyone Hates - TNT: Evilution

You Hate, Everyone Loves - Pirate Doom - not really hate, just don't get into it.

Fondest Memory - Area 51 - old school!

Always Come Back To - No End in Sight

Guilty Pleasure - Not sure on this one.

Sunlust was my first Doom PWAD.

Another 9 days and it will be a year since I played Doom for the first time.

I might make a serious one later on.

aboutyoudoomwads.png

Some of these choices were not easy to make. Trust me.

doomwad_pcorf_faves.png