Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Anomalous Reincarnation

ravage said:

(oh and I didn't find the sub P:AR levels. :(

Well, the start up menu tells you which episode they are in, but they are not the first maps in that episode. The text file tells you which ones they are.

BTW, there's a new Zdoom out from the usual place that fixes the E1M2 and E1M6 start spot problem.

Edit: Unless you are a masochist, I'd forget that Zdoom update. It has a nasty little bug where whenever you fire a projectile weapon, you take a fair lick of damage yourself.

Edit 2: OK, Randy has uploaded another version that seems a lot better. 33.cab is the file you are looking for.

ravage said:

(oh and I didn't find the sub P:AR levels. :(

Try reading the text file, or -- better yet -- *both* of the text files.

Wow, some of the best levels I have ever played. Really nice job. Skill levels are done well, although I could use a bit more ammo. I just stand there and look around at the cool scenery and of course get killed while doing it. I really should use nomonsters.

I am using PRBoom and it seems to work fine. I've not had any problems so far at least (other than the fact that I am a crappy player, but I can't blame that on the engine :)).

This set deserves to be on every hard-drive.

I completely agree with Wildman. I played with PrBoom as well and had no technical difficulties.

One of the things I like about P:AR is how every map has a distinct theme and no two levels look the same. I also much appreciate that not every level is about finding keys, but in some places there are special objectives to complete. The secret level is a great example of this. Here the screens on the walls also inform the player of the status of the objectives. Very cool!

The size, überdetail and use of lighting and special effects on every map is also mindblowing. The readme gave an estimated build time of 3 years for this episode. A long time, but it really shows. Excellent job on these levels!

Hey, I'm glad some people have actually found a way to play this bastard. And of course, it's also very cool that I'm getting some positive feedback. I guess it's looking like PrBoom is a viable alternative to MBF for those that can run it (and actually, it's been behaving nicely for me lately).

NiGHTMARE brought up the fact that you could play this with the Eternity Engine which happened to be the only one I had on my hard drive that would work. Well yeah, everything was fine up untill the second map. I checked the hint.html file and it said that the red key should have poured out of the spout in that nukage room with the baron of hell, sadly it never did. I'll try and get prboom or glboom a bit later.

Great job though, my jaw is on the floor 90% of the time while playing this and I'm only on the second map.

I just feel the need to mention the shadows in the outside areas. Soooooo damn effective. It must take ages to work out where shadows should be cast and then to cut things up into suitable sectors. They look perfect. Adds a new dimension to things. Very nice indeed.

Enjay said:

It must take ages to work out where shadows should be cast and then to cut things up into suitable sectors.

It took a while, yes; I would define a large outdoor sector, and then, in the process of adding detail, realize -- Crap! There needs to be a shadow there! And it sure didn't help the process of cutting and pasting detail, either.

Enjay said:

They look perfect. Adds a new dimension to things. Very nice indeed.

Well, thanks -- at least it was worth it.

orion said:

I'll try and get prboom or glboom a bit later.

You reminded me of the fact that there was also a glboom executable in the PrBoom package. I tried glboom out on a few P:AR levels and it all looks even sexier now! With better framerates too.

This weekend, I'm returning from my vacation and playing P:AR. I'm going to use BOOM (next to doom2.exe, I use BOOM 2.02 the most - I only use ZDOOM/Legacy for wads built for them) and I really hope that that's one of the engines that P:AR was meant to be played with, as it says in the text file (you can tell I've been waiting for this wad for a loOong time).

Lutz: Don't expect me to avoid exclamation marks, capital letters and the phrase "1337" when commenting on it, either. :) I can tell this one'll be memorable...

Virgil said:

I'm going to use BOOM

Ick, using 320x200 for this wad is practically blasphemy! ;)

truly professional work that shows the patience and skill needed to make the very best.
There are different kinds of wads, but for this type it is clearly the pinnacle of detail and function in DOOM mapping.
It was a good move to release the demo for testing too. excellent job!

Yeah, at least use PRBoom/GLBoom :)

I can get a decent rate out of it at 640x400, which is what I've been using in ZDoom as well to play this. I put it up to 640x480 for ZDoomGL though.

I second that. Verdict = PAR IZ FRIKIN 1337!!!11 The architecture is.. ... better looking than Real Life(tm). I like the cannons the best, especially the one where I actually saw how it fired and blew the wall apart. And the rails/3d bridges/metal arches/church/ammo and monster balance/etc/iamnotlistingitall.. I'd suggest everyone who likes doom and has a Pentium III or above to go play this if you haven't. NOW!

Virgil said:

I like the cannons the best, especially the one where I actually saw how it fired and blew the wall apart.

I want to know how he did that though, as I'm trying to do nearly the same thing in my own project.

ravage said:

I want to know how he did that though, as I'm trying to do nearly the same thing in my own project.

Here you go:

The edge of the cannon has two invisible sectors around it (call them A and B); A represents the sector to which a barrel will be silently teleported, and B a "guard rail" sector used to keep the barrel from sliding off A due to the teleport momentum. Both of these sectors have dummy sectors connected to other sectors so that they can be instantly raised and lowered using the standard invisible bridge trick (i.e. using linedefs 83 (or maybe 85?) and 91).

There are 2 other important structures found outside of the map: a sector holding a barrel, and an adjacent sector (call it sector C) with another barrel and a tagged ceiling. Finally, there is a hallway with a tagged floor (carry objects) containing a voodoo doll used to trigger all the necessary linedefs, plus a sector blocking the doll from advancing.

When the player hits the switch, the blocking sector lowers, allowing the voodoo doll to be carried along the hallway. The doll then crosses a series of triggers, which do the following:
1. Snap sectors A & B to the appropriate heights (where B is at least 32 units higher than A).
2. Cause the ceiling of sector C to start crushing. This denonates the barrel, which in turn detonates the OTHER barrel, but it also pushes the other barrel over a silent teleport line (warping it to sector A).
3. After an appropriate amount of time, lower A & B.
4. If you care, you can now stop the crushing ceiling, too.

There you go -- nothing to it.

Ok, I've got a small problem, I'm trying to load this with the boom engines (Boom/GLBoom/PRBoom) and with all three off them I get the same error. R_Initextures: 89 Errors. I'm trying to load it by using boom.exe -file par.wad - deh par.deh, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Edit: Oh, that was clever, I was trying to use Doom2.wad instead of doom.wad, I've got it working now. I'll go and play it now.

A new question now, How do I disable mousemove? Also, Does Boom have mouselook?

Edit: Ok, I've figured out how to get rid of mousemove now.

I probably should of played with booms settings more before I asked. whoops :D.