Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ankha

DOOM2 Tip for Refueling Base

Hi there,

I'm trying to do a full run of DOOM2 but I tend to get killed by the Cyberdemon at the end of the Refueling Base which is annoying. His teleport is random, and I wondered if there was any tip to pass safely to the exit door without losing too much time.

When I do the map alone, I manage to reach the exit most of the time before it teleports but there's nothing special about it apart of running fast :)

The way you solve these kind of situations would be to plan your route carefully in advance.
This goes for every difficult situation you encounter in the game. There are many possible route options in map10 (refueling base)
To avoid getting killed there, you simply take one of the invulnerabilities before doing that exit part.   

I usually die to hitscanners long before that lol. If I get to the cyberdemon I know i've made it. You can grab the invulnerability like skogsto said and if you have BFG shots left blast the cyberdemon away.

I forgot to mention it was a kind of speedrun, so I don't go through the cyberdemon open area where the invulnerability spheres are.

It's more about how to avoid him teleporting when passing through the yellow door. He wakes up at that point and can either 1/ wander around 2/ start shooting 3/ wander around and teleport near the yellow door 4/ wander and teleport on the other side of the fence

I'd like to find a consistent way to trick it doing 1/ or 2/

The best way without invulnerability is to fire immediately after opening the first door to wake up the cyberdemon, then when you open the second door you stand on his teleport destination until he crosses the teleport linedef. The cyberdemon can still hit you though, but with some practice it should be possible to dodge rockets if he is in the invulnerability area firing towards the exit.

The old route is to get BFG first, then blue key, then yellow key and then go through the pinkies to get to the invulnerability where you also get some extra cells, it's only a few seconds slower.

Clever! Thanks ZeroMaster, I'll have to study the map to pinpoint the teleport destination.