Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muusi

Could PSX Doom be remastered like Doom 64 was?

I know the chances of a rerelease are zero but could it happen or does legal stuff get in the way? Weren't they developed by the same company? What would a remaster be called? The "Custom Console Edition"? The original was called the " Custom PlayStation Edition" in some version of the cover art.

If a rerelease happened, would you buy it? I'd buy it twice. To me it will forever be superior to the PC original.

Even though I absolutely love and adore PSX Doom, I don't see any reason for there to be a remaster of it. Other than having exclusive maps, I don't think it's overall different enough from the PC version to warrant having a remaster. At the very least, there could be an addon for the Unity Doom port in the future that basically ports over the PSX exclusive levels into their own episode but that's about it.

If there was a rerelease I would definitely make a mad scramble to get it it. But I think it's unlikely that they would remaster it. 

It'd be neat if they did it, but I seriously doubt they'd do it. Doom 64 was at least different enough and was all-new content; PSX Doom (while impressive) is mostly a porting of PC content with some tweaks and minor enhancements.

Now if they want to merge the OG levels and the GEC Master Edition levels, that'd be a different story. Then you're getting a lot more Doom. :)

8 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Now if they want to merge the OG levels and the GEC Master Edition levels, that'd be a different story. Then you're getting a lot more Doom. :)

You're literally describing heaven on earth. 

2 hours ago, Muusi said:

You're literally describing heaven on earth. 

Then you'll really need to clean your underwear when I say I'd like to do exactly all that on the Doom 64 Engine once the GEC guys get us a toolchain for that...

11 hours ago, PSXDoomer said:

But I think it's unlikely that they would remaster it. 

Will to money and lack of novations might do the trick! 

20 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Then you'll really need to clean your underwear when I say I'd like to do exactly all that on the Doom 64 Engine once the GEC guys get us a toolchain for that...

Yeah color me fucking interested <3

37 minutes ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

please don't

Why? More Doom is bad?

It's not more doom though, same thing with some changes (some good, some bad). I don't understand whats the point in paying for that. We already have psx doom as a mod, multiple of them. Had for d64 as well, mods/TCs/etc. I like psxdoom and d64, but this doesn't feel right. It's just a cheap way to capitalize on good game made in the past.

Love you guys.

37 minutes ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

It's not more doom though, same thing with some changes (some good, some bad). I don't understand whats the point in paying for that. We already have psx doom as a mod, multiple of them. Had for d64 as well, mods/TCs/etc. I like psxdoom and d64, but this doesn't feel right. It's just a cheap way to capitalize on good game made in the past.

Love you guys.

I second this, there's no sense in paying for basically less and inferior versions of the PC levels even though they got cool lighting.

3 hours ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

We already have psx doom as a mod, multiple of them. Had for d64 as well, mods/TCs/etc.

Mods like those can't be played on a console though.

44 minutes ago, Muusi said:

Mods like those can't be played on a console though.

They can technically via a Raspberry PI iirc, although that's whether you'd consider Raspberry PI a console or not.

I don't really see the need for playing it on a console? Do you just want to have the feeling of playing a more complete PSX Doom on a TV or something?

2 minutes ago, Terraformer9x said:

They can technically via a Raspberry PI iirc, although that's whether you'd consider Raspberry PI a console or not.

I don't really see the need for playing it on a console? Do you just want to have the feeling of playing a more complete PSX Doom on a TV or something?

Yeah i actually have a Raspberry Pi 3 console hooked up to a crt and it's great and all (with LZDoom installed) but i want to play my PSX Doom on a PlayStation console. My PC is already has a 75" TV as a second monitor so i can play on a couch with a controller but that doesn't mean i don't play the Unity ports from time to time on a PS4.

It definitely could be. The real question is likelihood. Chances are slim. Very slim. But possible, of course.

So Much Yes, PSX Doom is one of those ports that really made the most of its limited Hardware.

Smaller Levels? Okay we'll make up for it with Amazing Atmosphere.

It feels like such a difference experience than the PC version.

I was literally just thinking that I would be willing to buy an official PC port of PSX Doom. I loved the port of Doom 64, it was apparently a seriously underrated game in its time. I'll always be a fan of the classic PC version, but I find the darker interpretation of Doom 64 and PSX to be intensely atmospheric. So I came to this subforum and found this very thread. Clearly the idea has occurred to more than one person.

In the absence of an official port, what can be shared in terms of unofficial mods/TCs?

3 hours ago, NoXion said:

In the absence of an official port, what can be shared in terms of unofficial mods/TCs?

Well, probably the closest thing it's got to a mod/TC is the GEC Master Edition. The one for PSX is reinserting the cut maps and some extras; the one for PC (which will eventually be renamed DZDoom) is basically a port of PSX to the PC as closely as possible within GZDoom.

There's also PsyDoom, which aims to be an accurate recreation of the PSX version on PC.

16 hours ago, NoXion said:

it was apparently a seriously underrated game in its time. 

More like poorly marketed. People thought Doom 64 literally means Doom on the N64. They should've called it Doom 3 or something else.

Until there's a rerelease, i recommend playing the _lovely_ Master Edition. GEC really knows what they're doing.

On 6/4/2021 at 5:43 PM, Terraformer9x said:

Even though I absolutely love and adore PSX Doom, I don't see any reason for there to be a remaster of it. Other than having exclusive maps, I don't think it's overall different enough from the PC version to warrant having a remaster. At the very least, there could be an addon for the Unity Doom port in the future that basically ports over the PSX exclusive levels into their own episode but that's about it.

I totally disagree, it feels like PC Doom and PSX Doom are different games in many respects: aesthetics, ambience, sound, gameplay. PSX Doom is more about creeping around scared all the time, with the action coming from battling hordes of minion-level monsters. PC Doom is noisier, more chaotic, much less scary, with the original games so horribly textured it feels like our eyes are being nettled.

id Software was sort of founded on the "screw paying royalties, the money's ours" which I think is the reason why they failed to make Aubrey Hodges' theme the official Doom anthem*, and it's why we get generic metal music which is different in each new game. Also, to id, PSX Doom is probably just a port, so I suppose they would agree with Terraformer9x.

* Is there seriously anyone in the Doom Community who doesn't consider Hodges' theme to be the definitive?

7 minutes ago, MajorRawne said:

I totally disagree, it feels like PC Doom and PSX Doom are different games in many respects: aesthetics, ambience, sound, gameplay. PSX Doom is more about creeping around scared all the time, with the action coming from battling hordes of minion-level monsters. PC Doom is noisier, more chaotic, much less scary, with the original games so horribly textured it feels like our eyes are being nettled.

id Software was sort of founded on the "screw paying royalties, the money's ours" which I think is the reason why they failed to make Aubrey Hodges' theme the official Doom anthem*, and it's why we get generic metal music which is different in each new game. It's also why they don't seem to have considered ever doing anything new with the PSX version. Also this, and to id, PSX Doom is just a port, so I suppose they would agree with Terraformer9x.

* Is there seriously anyone in the Doom Community who doesn't consider Hodges' theme to be the definitive?

Everything said here is 100% the truth.

Every time i see the Doom logo, i hear the Hodges theme. I wish he composed the new games too.

8 hours ago, MajorRawne said:

id Software was sort of founded on the "screw paying royalties, the money's ours" which I think is the reason why they failed to make Aubrey Hodges' theme the official Doom anthem*, and it's why we get generic metal music which is different in each new game. Also, to id, PSX Doom is probably just a port, so I suppose they would agree with Terraformer9x.

I'd agree that the atmosphere in both games is unquestionably different. However, I don't necessarily agree with the gameplay being different in both versions atleast to a major extent. I know that there is a few changes with how some of the stuff works in PSX Doom such as rocket explosions being stronger and fire rates being slightly different, however I don't know if that's enough to really say that the gameplay overall is different and thus warrants an official port or remaster.

PSX Doom is just a port, a very fucking good port that in my opinion does Doom better than the PC version does, but is still a port. It's not like Doom 64 where it's pretty much an entirely different game.

Also I agree that Aubrey Hodges' theme is definitely the more definitive Doom theme.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:05 AM, MajorRawne said:

You know, now that you mention it, I never thought about it! Not only is it instantly recognizable, but unlike "At Doom's Gate" (which I love, do not get me wrong), it is an actually original composition.

That PSX Doom theme music is to fans who first played on Playstation what E1M1 is to PC players.

It’s timeless.

They should just release an official map pack with all the PS1/Jag levels, the GBA death match maps, and Sewers/Betray from the Xbox ports.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, Terraformer9x said:

I'd agree that the atmosphere in both games is unquestionably different. However, I don't necessarily agree with the gameplay being different in both versions atleast to a major extent. I know that there is a few changes with how some of the stuff works in PSX Doom such as rocket explosions being stronger and fire rates being slightly different, however I don't know if that's enough to really say that the gameplay overall is different and thus warrants an official port or remaster.

PSX Doom is just a port, a very fucking good port that in my opinion does Doom better than the PC version does, but is still a port. It's not like Doom 64 where it's pretty much an entirely different game.

Also I agree that Aubrey Hodges' theme is definitely the more definitive Doom theme.

The thing is though, PSX Doom can be rampaged through, but the low frame rate and heavy controls don't really lend themselves to that style of gameplay. Its pace feels slower, more deliberate. The music, darker maps, sound effects and ridiculously creepy new maps reinforce a slower pace of gameplay. The improved visual consistency (limited set of flats and textures per map) also creates a more mature feel, as if the maps had a visual overhaul, kind of like a primitive "1994 Tune-up Wad" (remember that?). 

It is the same game as PC Doom, but a totally different experience. This is subjective though as everyone will see it differently - some will see it as a "mirror universe" Doom, others as just a port with some cool features.

On 6/20/2021 at 3:04 PM, Muusi said:

People thought Doom 64 literally means Doom on the N64. They should've called it Doom 3 or something else.

The original title was Doom - The Absolution, which I guess would have helped clearing up any ambiguity regarding what the game actually was. Back then most people got their information from magazines and one look at a screenshot of Doom 64 and you knew it wasn't just a port of Doom.

I'm probably misremembering this, but does anyone recall an advertisement for one for the console Dooms in either Gamepro or Electronic Gaming Monthly involving ants? The message was like you against them or something. And there was a solitary ant surrounded by an army of other ants.

1 hour ago, MajorRawne said:

The thing is though, PSX Doom can be rampaged through, but the low frame rate and heavy controls don't really lend themselves to that style of gameplay. Its pace feels slower, more deliberate. The music, darker maps, sound effects and ridiculously creepy new maps reinforce a slower pace of gameplay. The improved visual consistency (limited set of flats and textures per map) also creates a more mature feel, as if the maps had a visual overhaul, kind of like a primitive "1994 Tune-up Wad" (remember that?). 

It is the same game as PC Doom, but a totally different experience. This is subjective though as everyone will see it differently - some will see it as a "mirror universe" Doom, others as just a port with some cool features.

Well, it is just a port with some cool features. I agree with you that it's a different experience and I certainly do enjoy the feel of PSX Doom more but I feel like you're reading a bit too deep into it as something way more than just a console port, at the end of the day it is just that, another console port, and the likelihood of that port getting an official remaster is next to none. Not to mention all the numerous mods that already recreate or "remaster".