Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikoka

How to Play Mods with cHeretic for DS ?

Hi everyone.

Do any of you know if there is a weapon mod or a monster mod compatible with Heretic in the original DOS version?
I would need it to use on the recent cHeretic, port on DS/DS lite/DSi of the already mentioned original version.
This port is already compatible with simple, vanilla custom maps/episodes (wads) through the use of command line argument "-file" contained in an .argv file.

If this mod doesn't exist, could someone point me to a guide or directions for creating one? I think the only way is to modify directly the original Iwad but I could be wrong. Anyway I don't know how. 
I'm waiting for someone who knows more than me to take on this difficult challenge.
Forgive my unclear english.
Thanks in advance

P.S. I remember an old CD from the mid-1990s that contained some new enemies and/or weapons, for use with this (DOS version) game. Is that right or do I remember wrong? I searched archive(dot)org but a CD with such content is nowhere to be found (there are only user maps and episodes).

Edited by Nikoka

I must say that it is a surprise, and a disappointment, that no one has taken interest in my request and for the topic (however original and never dealt with before) and has tried, in some way, to answer me.

I will make one last attempt, bumping my post and still hoping for an unlikely help, after which, with some regret, I will delete myself from this site, in a sad silence and in the middle of general disinterest.

I hoped to be received in a different way by a community that has always been welcoming...

Monster/weapon mods for Heretic are quite scarce and really only maps are mode for Heretic nowadays. If you want a decent Heretic map-set, check out UnBeliever as it runs under vanilla Heretic limits so cHeretic shouldn't struggle running it.

4 hours ago, Wavy said:

Monster/weapon mods for Heretic are quite scarce and really only maps are mode for Heretic nowadays. If you want a decent Heretic map-set, check out UnBeliever as it runs under vanilla Heretic limits so cHeretic shouldn't struggle running it.

Thank you for your reply.
The one you pointed me to is one of the most famous; I have already tried it and it would seem to work.
Unfortunately, it doesn't contain any new material (weapons or enemies).

In the meantime I found an old CD image from the nineties that contains 2 palette mods (black and white, and brighter colors).

I actually did look at your topic earlier, but the problem with me is that Heretic just isn't all that interesting to me.

As was said, in terms of mods, especially ones that specifically replace monsters/weapons, Heretic just didn't get much (nor, for that matter, did Hexen), and the ones that do replace them often tend to be running on far more advanced engines (i.e; GZDoom); cHeretic would have to obey vanilla limits, which in turn limits modding capabilities. If the port can load HHE patches from Heretic Hack Editor, then you've at least got the possibility for DeHackEd-level modding, but if not, you are extremely limited (basically just to graphic/sound replacements with no code changes whatsoever).

I remember some shovelware thing that had a bunch of Heretic episodes, and I think one or two of those had some new graphics/sounds for monsters, but past that I really don't know of any, and like I said, the pickings on the whole are going to be quite slim compared to Doom.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

If the port can load HHE patches from Heretic Hack Editor, then you've at least got the possibility for DeHackEd-level modding

Thank you for responding to my thread.

About dehacked files I'm not sure, and the author of the port has not yet answered me on this point.

I remember some shovelware thing that had a bunch of Heretic episodes, and I think one or two of those had some new graphics/sounds for monsters

Thanks to this site I found H!ZONE, a collection of 9 episodes from the nineties, all cHeretic compatible, with new enemies and textures, and all very good (although difficult).

the pickings on the whole are going to be quite slim compared to Doom.

The legendary Doom is obviously no stranger to me. Since PrBoom was ported to DS many years ago I've played dozens of mods/megawads compatible with this engine: unfortunately in random points the game crashes during save, and the author never fixed this problem.

25 minutes ago, Nikoka said:

Thanks to this site I found H!ZONE, a collection of 9 episodes from the nineties, all cHeretic compatible, with new enemies and textures, and all very good (although difficult).

I think H!ZONE is the one I am thinking of, yes.

But yes, without HHE support, that's about the limit of what you'll get for modding. No custom behaviors, just new graphics and sounds.

And since you're talking DS/DSi-level hardware, it'd be pretty hard to port anything much more capable to it. 3DS, maybe; Switch, certainly.

45 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

it'd be pretty hard to port anything much more capable to it. 3DS, maybe; Switch, certainly.

I was forgetting... Congratulations on your fantastic Master Edition PSX Doom. I can't wait for it to be finally completed so I can enjoy it to the fullest on my old, dear PSP.
You've probably figured out by now that I have a soft spot for old handheld consoles.😁

49 minutes ago, Nikoka said:

I was forgetting... Congratulations on your fantastic Master Edition PSX Doom. I can't wait for it to be finally completed so I can enjoy it to the fullest on my old, dear PSP.
You've probably figured out by now that I have a soft spot for old handheld consoles.😁

Indeed.

And we are still working on that. Just waiting on some engine and content updates from GEC. :)

On 6/9/2021 at 1:47 PM, Nikoka said:

I must say that it is a surprise, and a disappointment, that no one has taken interest in my request and for the topic (however original and never dealt with before) and has tried, in some way, to answer me.

I can denote a few things as to why:

• You mention a port CHeretic which, atleast to me, sounded unfamiliar to me. Turns outs a port by known porting machine ElHobbs. A link to that would have helped.
  • Additionally, the GBATemp thread where elhobbs reports on Cheretic might have been useful.

To answer your original question: Monster mods for Vanilla Heretic are practically non-existent. Many use a source port first and formost.

Another is HHE patches as mentioned. But the only port that supports this is Chocolate Heretic. Now, i don't consider a port of Choco Heretic to the NDS completely alien, but elhobbs isn't making one, far as i can tell.

On 6/9/2021 at 1:47 PM, Nikoka said:

I hoped to be received in a different way by a community that has always been welcoming...

This is needlessly dramatic.

6 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I actually did look at your topic earlier, but the problem with me is that Heretic just isn't all that interesting to me.

Heretic has the advantage that most of its quality work is less in numbers than Doom, thus easier to recommend. However, quite a few either require a ZDoom based port, or the aforementioned HHE.

Speaking of HHE, there aren't that many mapsets that use it - Fraggle collected them for Chocolate Heretic, and i think the number was less than 10.

42 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

the GBATemp thread where elhobbs reports on Cheretic might have been useful.

Actually, that thread is the one I opened myself; I didn't post the link because I thought it wasn't allowed.

44 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Monster mods for Vanilla Heretic are practically non-existent.

This is an honest but extreme answer; the aforementioned h!zone collection contains episodes with custom textures and enemies.

48 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Another is HHE patches as mentioned. But the only port that supports this is Chocolate Heretic

I didn't know that, but I assumed it.

Thank you for your partecipation and the interesting information you have given me.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:40 PM, Nikoka said:

Actually, that thread is the one I opened myself; I didn't post the link because I thought it wasn't allowed.

That's all fine

This is an honest but extreme answer; the aforementioned h!zone collection contains episodes with custom textures and enemies.

OFcourse there are new monsters, but not to the extent which you requested to that exact definitin.

I didn't know that, but I assumed it.

Thank you for your partecipation and the interesting information you have given me.

I am afraid that reg CHeretic you are out of luck.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:46 PM, Redneckerz said:

Another is HHE patches as mentioned. But the only port that supports this is Chocolate Heretic.

Crispy Heretic might support HHE patches too (not 100% sure, but I am almost certain).