Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLOTH MARINE (CB)

which are better? Doom 64 or Classic Doom sounds?

which are better? Doom 64 or Classic Doom sounds?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which has betters sounds?

• Classic Doom (Doom 1 and 2, Final Doom)
    • Doom 64

For me it HAS to be Doom 64 the sounds in that game, but they're both good, but I would like to hear what other people think.

Random trivia :)

Doom PS1 and Doom 64 use the same sound effects.

The original SSG sounds like god himself cracking his knuckles and the 64 SSG sounds like somebody crumpling up a piece of paper. That's all you need to know.

i personally like the psx sound effects more than original except for the music and like @ICID said the ssg sound. also this is a bit off topic and i know his pfp comes from the Wolfenstein box art but damn does that guy in @ICID's pfp

I love doom 64, but its sounds could've been improved in some places like said above, the supershotgun

4 hours ago, ILIKEDOOM2 said:

I think i choose Classic because why would you not love that SSG sounds 

I LOVE THE ORINGAL SSG SOUNDS, but it's mainly the enemy sounds from doom 64 that are great 

I like both, I wouldn't mind a soundpack that has a mix of both sets.  Like others have mentioned, the SSG is irreplaceable, but certain monsters sound better in PSX/64 like the Imp.  I wouldn't be upset with the plasma rifle and BFG sounds being replaced too, I think the 64 version of those guns have much better sfx personally.

54 minutes ago, garudave said:

I like both, I wouldn't mind a soundpack that has a mix of both sets.  Like others have mentioned, the SSG is irreplaceable, but certain monsters sound better in PSX/64 like the Imp.  I wouldn't be upset with the plasma rifle and BFG sounds being replaced too, I think the 64 version of those guns have much better sfx personally.

well I could make a sound pack replacing the sounds in doom that need replacing with the ones from doom 64, and give you the wad, if you'd like that 

@SLOTH MARINE (CB) I plan on getting into modding and mapping eventually so I'll probably just do it myself at some point, seems like it would be a good starter project.  Thanks for the offer though :)

31 minutes ago, garudave said:

@SLOTH MARINE (CB) I plan on getting into modding and mapping eventually so I'll probably just do it myself at some point, seems like it would be a good starter project.  Thanks for the offer though :)

your welcome, and good luck modding! 

maybe when you get finished with your first mod you can show me and I can give some suggestions, if needed 

(just a question, do you know what editors to use for doom modding? Because without the right tools, it can be pretty hard)

1 hour ago, SLOTH MARINE (CB) said:

your welcome, and good luck modding! 

maybe when you get finished with your first mod you can show me and I can give some suggestions, if needed 

(just a question, do you know what editors to use for doom modding? Because without the right tools, it can be pretty hard)

I've perused a few David Newton videos on YouTube so I know about Ultimate Doom Builder and Slade 3 and a little bit about their functions.  Been pretty light on time lately so I'm trying to finish my run of Plutonia and then maybe sprinkle some map making in with my Doom habit.

I'll definitely keep you in mind if I start to get in over my head 👍

40 minutes ago, garudave said:

I've perused a few David Newton videos on YouTube so I know about Ultimate Doom Builder and Slade 3 and a little bit about their functions.  Been pretty light on time lately so I'm trying to finish my run of Plutonia and then maybe sprinkle some map making in with my Doom habit.

I'll definitely keep you in mind if I start to get in over my head 👍

:)

I prefer the Doom 64 sounds more, it sounds more gritty , The Pain Elemental sound look more threatening than the original, although noting can beat the Archvile Sound of the original.. 

Dude has no comparison, the sound of the Imp when he meets it became legendary, the sound of the doomguy dying is extremely unpleasant, when you managed to execute a gib then. For me the sounds of Doom Original are too satisfying.

Also to specify my Opinion:

I love the old sounds and music, but i also love that ones from Doom 64 and the Playstation Version, since that gave them something to differenciate them from the originals, especially Doom 64 with new Grafics.

I will not miss one or the other.

I prefer the PSX/N64 sounds, but the PC ones are good enough that I don't need to run a sound pack to enjoy it. They stand on their own really well, despite being cheesy and lo-fi.

I don't know. The original PC super shotgun sounds kind of flat, the Cacodemon death sounds like a clown going diarrhea into a trumpet, the plasma gun is sand paper on the audio receptors, and than D_RUNNIN. So I'll go with Doom 64 for better sound.

Edited by PSXDoomer

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I prefer the PSX/N64 sounds, but the PC ones are good enough that I don't need to run a sound pack to enjoy it. They stand on their own really well, despite being cheesy and lo-fi.

cheers to that brother 

Classic Doom for the most part - but I feel like the PSX Shotgun and Plasma sounds are both better, especially the shotgun. The vanilla shotgun sounds kinda like cinder blocks rubbing together or something.

Funny trivial about those sounds that I'll always mention when the topic comes up: both of them were ripped from Dwango5.wad, which came out 4-5 months earlier than PSX Doom. I guess Aubrey Hodges really likes those sounds too!

Both have their charm IMO but I like the punchy Hodges sounds, they fit for the darker atmosphere of 64 and PSX Doom. My only complaint is the lack of Arch-vile sounds for completeness but that couldn't be helped.

Original Plasma Gun sound is music to my ears, so have to vote Classic 100%. Just makes the gun feel like a firehose of death.

And in general, I found the sound design pretty underwhelming when I played Doom 64.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, Doomkid said:

Funny trivial about those sounds that I'll always mention when the topic comes up: both of them were ripped from Dwango5.wad, which came out 4-5 months earlier than PSX Doom. I guess Aubrey Hodges really likes those sounds too!

I'm curious on what the original source sound for the plasma from Dwango5 is. It could help for a "HD PSX-Doom/Doom 64 SFX Pack"

The ps/64 weapon sounds are better for the most part (super shotgun being an obvious exception), however the monster sounds are more varied and better on PC in my opinion. Too many monsters on psx/64 emit the same low growl of pain when shot. The PC monster sounds are definitely more cartoonist but are just more lively. The pinkie sounds are probably the only ones I'm happy with, though the hell knights sound ok.