Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biz!

POV : You're making a source port

1 hour ago, Redoom said:

POV : You're making a source port, what do you do?

Alright just so the thread doesn't get off track. Even though I haven't really dealt too much with source compiling since I'm not savvy with doing that kind of stuff. I'd imagine one of the first steps if working off an already existing source code would be to get it to compile, and then if it does you make the changes you want to make from there. But again, I'm not all too savvy when it comes to compiling stuff so there's probably a lot more to it than just that.

It's Alien art work.. Those guys are far beyond our knowledge of vision and/or thought. :P

I think you're on the right track though @Terraformer9x

Keep in mind though folks, the lawn mower shop doesn't carry engines like this.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Get it part way working - rendering and playsim - then get depressed and not work on it for many months, working on other stuff instead.  This is accurate because it's exactly what's been happening with my port, CrDoom, since the beginning of the year.

That said, my port is also a translation from one programming language to another, so I started by translating low-level code first.  Math and file stuff, mainly.  Also a lot of tables and such that are easy to translate mechanically.  Then it was just a matter of unraveling what depends on what and going from there, slowly translating code.  It'd have helped if there was a program to help translate C# to Crystal, but oh well ^_^

Now to go do what Terraformer9x suggested.

1) Pretty sure POV's don't work like that.

2) This doesn't really belong in the source ports forum.

3) What do I do? Work on it obviously.

4) What?

Make a source port that can run another source port so I can have a source port with my source port.

And as @N1ck said, that's not what POV means. POV is where it looks like the girl is on top of you.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

3 hours ago, Redoom said:

Make a list of what you want to do, roll up your sleeves and get to it... Avoid all distractions and focus.

Oh and make sure you have some good tunes to help get in the 'zone', that is essential. Boris Brejcha does the job for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqz8c4ZP3Wg

give up. no, really, this is the only way to not allow it taking over your life. i was caught in that trap, and now i can only tell you: RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

15 minutes ago, ketmar said:

give up. no, really, this is the only way to not allow it taking over your life. i was caught in that trap, and now i can only tell you: RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

tru dat

4 hours ago, Redoom said:

Try to befriend every single active port developer in the community so I can get as much advice as humanly possible. Probably also read the Sourceports subforum religiously as well.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

They forgot the part where you copy code from Stack Overflow.

First thing is to define what my objective is. What do I want to achieve with that port?

Second thing is to find out which existing port is the closest to what I want to do. There are a ton of them, so why not minimize the amount of wheels we need to reinvent?

Third thing so is to fork that port and get it to compile. Once that's done, you can start tweaking and testing and implementing stuff and testing and changing things and testing and testing and testing and testing and testing and testing. Programming is an extremely iterative process.

also, don't expect to simply jump in and start doing cool stuff. it may take years to become familiar with the code until you understand how to implement the things you want properly. also, different sourceports are really different. while their codebases have some common parts, don't expect easy switching between sourceports.

@Gez is right, choose the one that is closest to your vision, and go with it. also, make sure that you actually have that vision. if you only have some vague ideas, you will prolly give up very quickly, and it will hardly worth your time. of course, there's nothing wrong in trying, but it's not like you can spend a month or two, and then get something people will be excited upon. it may take years of hard work for people to even start noticing your sourceport.

> Download Doom source code

> Compile it

> Add like 2 cool features or something

> Add a ransomware component

> Don't release source code

> Infect millions of computers

> Take over the world

Include an option to turn on or off visplane limits.

Visplane limit options: OFF, 128, 256, 384

1 hour ago, pcorf said:

Include an option to turn on or off visplane limits.

Visplane limit options: OFF, 128, 256, 384

That actually would be useful.

* Opens OpenWatcom to do some bug fixing

* Starts debugging

* OpenWatcom gives middle finger and says 'No variable values for you. F*** off'

* Cries in spanish

20210604_014704.jpg

Edited by viti95