Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnthonyTankHD

doom is so Endless

man there endless amount of wads and mods that people created and i am really amaze by it. because there alot of stuff that you could do with the game and the community is so great no wonder why doom is endless cause DOOM IS ETERNAL

and also i never knew you could create your own hexen and strife and hexen map on the ultimate doom builder and slade cause i thought it was only doom now since i discover that you could make map of those three games now i want to create

• 10 doom maps
  • 10 strife maps
  • 10 hexen map
  • 10 heretic map

so that would give a total of 40 map to create and i want you to participate as well also

so we could expand beyond the imagination

and i want to work with other people as well.

Man DOOM is really infinite the reason why i said doom is infinite cause

• endless amount of wads and mods
  • doom cant be finish cause it will never be finish cause doom is eternal
  • the doom community is awesome and love to collab with other doomers

and that why i think doom is infinite cause there alot more things to do

i am so honored and thankful to be here

Doom is so @Endless

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the community! If you'd like to start a community project, there is a stickied thread in the WADS and Mods section, it should give you some useful advice. People are more than willing to work together here if you share some ideas to get them started, as long as you're willing to guide them :)

And yes, Doom is infinite because the community will always be here to create new and wonderful things. The evolution of Doom is a wonder to behold!

If you're moving from one idea to another, try splitting them into separate paragraphs since you seem to keep forgetting about punctuation. 

I'm not really a mapper though, sadly. I'd love to see more Strife maps though. So far, only @Khorus , Kaiser, and one other person have put the effort in for that.

The Master Levels box says something to the effect of "You can forget about ever seeing the light of day again".... Perfect way to describe the amazing curse that is loving Doom and its many wads..!

As long as you're having fun it's all good Anthony.

Best of luck with the mapping if you decide to try your hand at it. It's fun and a great way to flex your imagination and de-stress.

I'm always happy to see people working with Heretic and Hexen. Nobody does anything for Strife though. I enjoyed that game a lot and would love to see some maps for it, although the quality standard would have to be pretty high since the original maps were a lot nicer looking than Doom and had dialogue and whatnot. I wouldn't really want to play "just a map" for Strife, it would have to have a story to fit the game IMO

Anyway, 40 maps for 4 different games is a lot. Even 10 maps for 1 game is a decent sized project...

Yeah, the issue with Strife is that it's actually an action RPG. Yeah, you don't get to choose which character you play, and your choices in-game are limited because if you don't choose right you end up at best with a bad ending, at worst with a soft lock... But it's a game with conversations, buying crap from merchants, and more importantly, character progression. When you start a new game of Strife, your aim is so bad that you'd have a better luck hitting your target if you turn your back to them. Gradually you get stamina and accuracy upgrades that reduce the absurd spread on your weapons and give you a larger health pool.

That's what makes it hard to map for Strife. If you target the typical "pistol start" kind of gameplay, your Strifeguy will end up being terrible at using his guns. If you want to give a bunch of accuracy upgrades right at the start so you can then have a more typical Doomy gameplay of running and gunning around, you'll need to target ZDoom because it's not possible in vanilla Strife. And if you want to go the "proper" way then you need to design an entire campaign based around Strife's core gameplay loop of doing mission, going back to the questgiver (usually Macil) to get the upgrade tokens, then going to the medic and arms sergeant to exchange the tokens for actual stamina and accuracy boosts.

Anyways, that's a good idea; but it'd have to be managed as four sub-projects instead of one big project.

"Doom is Endless"

I say that usually when I found a post or video about something totally extraordinary new I never know about Doom, or some new idea when you think you have seen everything there is about Doom but a new idea surprised you. We had some new discoveries in 2018-2019 I think and I was... WOW

the official classic doom already has ultimate doom (although there is an older version i would like to find), doom 2, tnt, plutonia, and the master levels all adds up to 143 iirc  but then there are all the doom 2 mods like sunlust, sunder, and a whole hell lot more because even after 25 years the doom community comes up with a new idea. i also like how you can play the game your way whether you want to absolutely turn every map red or give yourself more of a challenge with gameplay mods like brutal doom, russian overkill, and d4d.

yeah, i'm gonna have to agree with @Gez here; mapping for strife is something that i just don't think will work out. unless you're really skilled at mapping and are highly knowledgeable about the game's mechanics (which...most people aren't lol) then i'd stay away from it, at least for now. idk how much in-depth help you'd be able to get for it either, considering that not very many people have ever mapped for strife in the first place.

I'm normally someone with the attention spawn of an actual toddler and cannot stay with the same hobbies for very long, but Doom? So rich and full of content, both inside and outside the main games, that I simply can't get bored with it.

It's quite interesting to see someone so new to the forum be this ecstatic. Hope you can find more enjoyment down the line.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

And if you want to go the "proper" way then you need to design an entire campaign based around Strife's core gameplay loop of doing mission, going back to the questgiver (usually Macil) to get the upgrade tokens, then going to the medic and arms sergeant to exchange the tokens for actual stamina and accuracy boosts.

Can't you implement dialogues (using KSSC, if not even USDC) and maybe even Sehacked in vanilla Strife in order to customize as much as possible, so you can get the stamina and accuracy training files early?

23 minutes ago, printz said:

Can't you implement dialogues (using KSSC, if not even USDC)

You'd have to use USDC; I'm pretty sure Kaiser removed KSSC from existence. Don't worry, though, you can still produce vanilla-format dialogue script lumps with USDC.

And of course you can craft a conversation so that you get given the upgrades early... But then you'd have to have the player actually go through it. With an item, you can just put the pickup right at the player start, so it gets automatically given as soon as the player moves. With dialogue, you'd have to have the player chat up an NPC repeatedly... It's not a major obstacle, obviously, but still kind of a mood killer IMO.

If you're interested in starting a community project, you should check out the below link. There's a lot more to it than stating some vague idea of what maps you want and inviting folks to have at it.