Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Signing off

(Short version, I quit.)

I first heard about Doom in the summer of 1994. I don't have any special stories about seeing it for the first time and asking what this incredible game was; in fact, I didn't actually see the game until probably two weeks after I first heard about it. I was attending a three-week boarding school at Loyola-Marymount University between my seventh and eighth grade years, and one of the other boys who was living on my floor mentioned something about a game called Wolfenstein 3-D. Apparently this game wasn't like anything else I'd ever heard of -- you played as a soldier during Wold War II who had to fight his way out of a Nazi dungeon, but unlike any other game up to that point, you actually played it from the soldier's perspective. This was over seven years ago but I still remember that even with such a vague description and not actually ever having seen the game, something clicked in my mind and I knew that the FPS genre was something I was going to like a lot.

One evening while talking with some people, Wolfenstein 3-D was somehow brought up, and another person first mentioned the word that would plague my conciousness every single day from then on: Doom. Apparently Doom was a newer game by the same company that made Wolfenstein 3-D, with better graphics and scarier monsters. One of the guys present said something about the last level where you had to shoot a rocket launcher at a giant robot. I was hooked. Even though I didn't have access to the game or a computer, I knew I had to play it.

Later, during one of my phone calls home, I talked to my little brother and asked him about these games "Wolf3D" and "Doom" I had heard about. My brother said that he knew someone who would probably have copies of them.

Flash forward a week or so. I was a few days from going home, when I talked to my brother again. He had gotten some 3.5" disks with copies of the two games on them, and raved to me about this Doom game, which apparently was one of the most incredible things he had ever seen. I couldn't wait to get home and see it for myself. I remember talking to another boy on my floor about the game -- he had played it, and informed me of certain cheat codes that gave you new guns, or made you invincible, or things like that. He wrote down all the ones he could remember on the back of a paper plate -- something which I kept for years afterwards.

Once I got home, I am sure that I loaded up and played Doom for the first time fairly soon, but unfortunately I don't remember. I had been looking forward to the game so much, without even seeing it, for weeks beforehand, and when I finally played it, I suppose my brain was too consumed to bother forming memories of the event. I remember bits and pieces of my first few times playing the game: small flashes of levels from Knee-Deep in the Dead, seeing enemies for the first time, flashing lights and strains of music.

Like millions of other people who played it, I was hooked. The Doom shareware has to rank as one of the single best pieces of software ever produced. I doubt there were many people who were able to sit down and play the thing, and afterwards not be able to admit that it wasn't incredible. Thousands of words have been written about what makes Doom episode one so great, and nothing I have ever read on the subject manages to come close to capturing the spirit of what made it so great and so groundbreaking, so I won't even try to.

I'll fast forward through the months that followed -- I got my hands on Doom 2 in November 1994, and the Ultimate Doom sometime thereafter. Like many people, I dabbled in DEU, DMAUD, DMGRAPH, and all the other early toys. The important stuff starts some time later...

The story of Doomworld begins on August 21, 1996. I know that Doomworld didn't open until around a year and a half later, but this date is still important to me for a reason as it's the last time that I didn't have any internet-related responsibilities.

Earlier that year the AOD-DOOM project had been released. If you ever played the AOD-DOOM TC, you might remember that an "Andy Stine" created level 3 of the project. That, of course, was me. AOD-DOOM was where I got my feet wet in Doom editing and the Doom community, one might say. I found the site wholly by accident in late 1995 via the links page on Jens Hykkelbjerg's superb, but now lost, Doom Editing Pages, which detailed how to pull off all sorts of crazy tricks with the Doom engine. Not long beforehand, I had been exposed to Army of Darkness for the first time, and as a young teenaged boy, I immediately thought of it as the best movie ever made. When I saw a project to combine Army of Darkness and Doom, it seemed so right that I couldn't possibly pass it up. The leader of the project was the great Stefan Maes, a Belgian who worked in x-ray crystallography, and made some great levels to boot. If you're not up to finding AOD-DOOM, at least download xcalib11.zip -- it's a great example of early Doom editing, and it was even mentioned on the old Doomgate best levels of all time page.

But I digress -- I wrote a whole FAQ which outlines the whole history of AOD-DOOM, so there's no need to reiterate it here. So AOD-DOOM was finished, and over the summer of 1996 I was a free bird, with no commitments to any Doom projects of any sort. I surfed the web, read the newsgroups, played Doom levels, and generally had a good time.

But I got bored. I was bitten by the TC bug, and on the fateful 8/21/96, Javier Heredia posted a message to rec.games.computer.doom.editing about a new TC he was starting. It was called ID4Doom, and Javier, aka Dukrous, had the idea to make a 32-level Doom 2 TC based after the movie. I came on as a level editor and Dehacked coder, if I remember right.

The project actually got off to a good start, but as one might expect, things quickly slowed down, and I realized that Javier and I were much more interested in the design of a full TC, than in its actual execution. As 1996 came to an end and 1997 began, a few levels were half-done, we had maybe a few sprites, etc etc. It started becoming more and more obvious that the project would never actually be completed.

In the spring of 1997, however, something happened. Dukrous got kicked off his computer, I believe by his parents who were insisting that he spend less time on it. With Javier's abilities to update diminished, I took the baton and ran with it, updating Functional Entropy, as the webpage had been named. The name came from Javier I believe, who thought it up while stoned at a Smashing Punpkins concert.

I would occasionally update the site, having learned some basic HTML from having run a lame Geocities webpage. Thinking about it today I realize I barely knew anything, but back in 1997 the web was young and you could make do with simple tags and be just fine. At first I would just update with whatever scant ID4Doom news there was, but gradually I started updating more and more, as the webpage bug bit me and it became less of a chore and more of an enjoyable experience.

I wish I had the old Functional Entropy pages saved, because they're a fun blast from the past for me to read. I was what, 15? Updating a dumb webpage about whatever I felt like, I started relating whatever Doom news there was back then, which as I recall was very little. I remember updating about how Requiem, STRAIN, and Gothic DM were all released in July 1997 (IIRC). I remember updating about AP Biology. I remember making fun of TeamTNT for having so many members, and having Lee Killough get angry because I referred to something of his as "crap" when I was using the word as a nonderogatory generalisation.

Somewhere along the line I seemed to have gained an audience, because in December 1997 John Romero updated his .plan with the URLs of two Doom webpages which he considered essential. One of them is on rome.ro now, being Lee Killough's Doom history pages. The other was Functional Entropy, which was called the best source for Doom news.

So I guess in a sense this is all John Romero's fault in more ways than one. If he hadn't helped to make Doom, I wouldn't be here in the first place, but his .plan update gave me a sense of recognition and along with that a sense of obligation. Suddenly I wasn't just some retard updating about stupid crap whenever he felt like it, I was running a Doom news website, and it had been Romero Approved. This newfound sense of obligation only strengthened when two weeks later John Carmack released the Doom source code, opening the floodgates to a whole new era of Dooming, what with source ports and all the rest. Do you realize that Doom has been open-sourced for a considerably longer time than it was closed-source? Man, that's incredible to think about. I remember when the source first came out, everyone was excited and bright-eyed, just bursting with ideas about what should be done. I was so excited to see what sort of cool stuff coders could do with the code. Turned out I would have to wait a little longer than I expected, and some of the stuff I had hoped for has never materialized.

January 2, 1998: "Raven" from Telefragged sends me an email asking if I would be interested in running a Doom site. This came as a bit of a shock to me, as I didn't even know that the guy in chage of the site that was hosting my little website even knew or cared about me. (At the time Telefragged was actually a pretty big site, rivalling PlanetQuake in popularity. I know, it's hard to believe, but bear with me.) He predicted a resurgence in the popularity of Doom with the source code being released and all, and he wanted a website to cover it. He had already registered a domain name for it -- doomworld.com.

I of course said yes. Working on entropy.telefragged.com, the idea of having a whole domain to myself seemed practically exhilirating. Back then domains were much harder to come by, unlike nowadays when every moron with four dollars and a computer can open up some stupid webpage on his own domain. Javier, who had returned by this point, was also asked, and the two of us went onto the Telefragged IRC network to talk to Marv (the real name of "Raven") about the opportunity.

Javier and I got to work deciding what sort of stuff we wanted to have. The next three months are a bit hazy in my mind, but along the way we picked up Mordeth, Covaro, Ricrob, Superfly, and possibly one or two others whom I cannot remember. By the time March rolled around we had gotten a design and logo from halogen, the resident graphic designer for Telefragged, and we'd put together some resources like lists of source ports, music downloads, and more. Somehow prower got word of the site a few days before we were scheduled to open, and I had to quickly make a fake index page about how it was some doomsday cult. I doubt anyone who saw it fell for it, but whatever.

Doomworld opened on March 13, 1998, to little fanfare. Functional Entropy was immediately obselete as its focus had exclusively become Doom news, ID4Doom being officially dead. Mordeth also stopped updating his site with Doom news as he had taken to doing, because Doomworld was going to be the penultimate Doom site. Ricrob and Superfly quickly bailed, I should probably mention.

I don't have much to say about the early days, other than that we were very much flying by the seat of our pants. The system we had for updating news seems stupidly primitive to me now, as we simply had to update the HTML every time we wanted to update, and I always was having to cut and paste the older news into an "old news" file I had for such a purpose. You can go read all the old news at http://www.doomworld.com/oldnews/ if you want to see it. It's functionally identical to the DW news nowadays, I suppose, except that there was more of it, and it was a little rougher around the edges, as the main news updaters were 16 years old. But it was fun, oh boy, was it a lot of fun.

The first few months, we had an honest passion for Doomworld and it manifested itself in the things we did. If you're used to reading The /newstuff Chronicles every Sunday, you might be surprised to know that the name and idea was first originated in April 1998. When Gothic DM 2 was released on May 3, 1998, Covaro, Flood and I drove ourselves nuts by writing a level-by-level review of it within a day of its release. We ran "Doomworld Events" where we had interviews and previews and reviews and IRC release parties for Doom projects like Overload and Twilight Warrior. In late 1998, I practically killed myself putting together 5 Years of Doom, where I interviewed many people who had gotten their start on Doom projects and had gone on to jobs in the game industry, along with idders like Romero and Carmack. 5 Years of Doom also marked the release of The Doom Bible, which was a late-1992 design document by Tom Hall, outlining early and mostly rejected ideas for what would eventually become Doom. The celebration was rounded out by a vote of the top ten Doom level designers of all time, as well as previews of glDoom and ZDoom. 5 Years of Doom was, at the time, a remarkable feat for myself, as I carried the entire thing from concept to execution with barely a hitch.

I should mention that by December 1998, ZDoom already had colored lighting, ACS scripting, hubs, etc etc. I think it was on v1.16 back then. Just stopped to mention that because I had forgotten just how long ZDoom has been around.

Anyways, after 5 Years of Doom ended, I began to experience a lapse in my drive for doing cool stuff on Doomworld. We had one or two more Doomworld Events, but then they got to be too much trouble and so I stopped. I had Tom Robinson redesign Doomworld just in time for its first anniversary, and on March 13, 1999, Doomworld had a spiffy new curvy blue look to replace the admittedly ugly design that it started with.

After the first redesign, it becomes hard to remember any specific events that happened with Doomworld, as less and less "special" stuff happened and it became more routine. John Carmack sent me a TGA out of the blue, which turned out to be the first shot of the Doomguy in Q3A. The demand to see the pic crashed the Telefragged servers. Later that year, Covaro, who had been an updating rock for a good 18 months, began to update less and less as real life stuff intervened, and I started updating more to fill the void. In October 1999, Doomworld finally got a real news updating system, entitled "LGNews" as it was written by Marv for our fellow TF site Linuxgames. This marked the end of having to update the HTML by hand, and was an incredible boon in my eyes. Looking back at it, I can't believe we actually updated Doomworld in such a low-level way for a good 19 months, but I guess at the time we were used to it and didn't know any better. Sometime in late 1999, I convinced John Carmack to GPL the Doom source code. The "release" of this GPL'ed source consisted of me taking the tar.gz the source code was in, and manually going through every file and appending the GPL license to the top. After I announced it on Doomworld, there was naturally some skepticism as people wondered who this Linguica shmoe was and why anyone should believe him. Slashdot posted a story about it and the traffic crashed the Telefragged servers. I got emails asking who the hell I was to say that the Doom source was GPL'ed. I wish Carmack had made a .plan update about it too, but I don't think he ever did. In any event, the Doom source was then GPL, although I suppose I could have just been making the whole thing up. Gothic99 was released with a shitty level by me that I begged not to be included.

A whole lot more nothing happened, as months went by with people updating Doomworld and stuff being occasionally released and not much else. Doom Nation closed in April 2000 due to a "server failure" or something. Then in June 2000, there was yet another .plan update that would change how I did things. By 2000 Doom was getting stale, even with the source code, and I began to see the light at the end of the tunnel, as Doom project activity was falling precipitously and I thought that it wouldn't be long until all the Doomers floated away and there would be no point for a Doomworld anymore. But then that damn John Carmack had to go and drop a bomb, announcing that id Software would be starting work on a new Doom game. Suddenly everything got interesting again, people started squatting on Doom-related domains, and I realized that I was sitting on top of a suddenly reheated property.

Just prior to this I finally opened forums, which Doomworld had lacked until that point. I remember when we first opened Doomworld, it seemed that everyone, especially Mordeth, was against the idea of forums, as it was something that we fundamentally could not completely control. I forget when we installed the comment boards -- probably late 1999 sometime -- but his point was proven when the poorly coded POS allowed people to do all sorts of nastiness like javascript redirects and tubgirl images. By May 2000, however, I finally decided to add them and did so one day. Mordeth was justifiably upset that he had not been consulted, but he grew to love them as we all did. When the Doom 3 bombshell dropped soon after, I quickly started up a Doom 3 forum which because infested with tons of people spouting all sorts of crazy ideas about what the game should be. It was a great time and the forums developed a real personality, despite the fact that the software was a piece of shit.

Realizing that the future held a new Doom game I started trying to write up some Doom 3 material, like a now horribly outdated Doom 3 FAQ, and even some articles. My spirit for the site was temporarily rekindled as the future seemed to hold infinite possibilities. One day, I could be in charge of the biggest site for the biggest FPS on the market! Sure, Gamespy would kick the shit out of me, but Doomworld would be established! People would know the name! And I would rule it all! Of course, I'd have to wait a long time for the opportunity, but that was a minor detail. Any thoughts I had of quitting Doomworld disappeared as visions of greatness danced in my head.

Once again things quieted down, sort of. Newdoom opened up in June 2000, if I remember right, and quickly became enemy number one of Doomworld lovers everywhere. Doom Center opened up sometime later, although I forget the date. More stuff happened. I ran the 10 Sectors contest to great success. Doomworld changed forum software twice, I redesigned the site to what it is today, and lots more. It's all there in the old news pages if you want to look.

But now, over 8 years after I first played Doom, and exactly 5 years after I was first handed the reins of Doomworld, I'm stepping down. There's a variety of reasons, but I'll just say that I feel that it's my time. I wish that I could have been around for the release of Doom 3, but in another way I am glad I won't be. Doomworld will surely go on without me, although for how long and in what form, it'll no longer be my place to say.

There are too many people for me to ever thank for the last 8+ years, but I will try.

Stefan Maes - for running a project the way it was supposed to be run, giving me a chance to participate in something I very much wanted to do, and defending me even though my level was really a piece of shit.

Javier Heredia - For helping me with FuncE updates, being a good friend online for years, sharing my enthusiasm when it mattered.

Gaston Lahaut - For great levels, for a great website with great news of your own. For sharing my dream of Doomworld, using your Ethernet Bastard capabilities to upload all those source ports. Being frank with me when I needed it, updating, writing, policing, and everything else. And thanks for releasing Mordeth episode 2, oh wait.

Scott Cover - Updating so consistently for all those months. I could never understand how you did it for so long and so flawlessly. The times with you as a news updater were the best times as I didn't need to worry about DW being updated :) I don't know when the streak of daily updates was broken, but it was after you were gone.

Eric James Roberts - You were around well before me on the newsgroups, you took my teenage retardedness with relatively good cheer, you had an extremely cool website I was proud to host.

Ty Halderman - Running TeamTNT with all its cool levels, and thanklessly maintaining the /idgames archive, which is the real lifeblood of the Doom community.

John Romero - You took your precious time to transcribe the Doom Bible for me, and I've always been grateful.

Marvin Malkowski - For giving me a server to run my websites on for over six years, even paying me for the privelege occasionally. But popups suck ass and UGO can fucking die.

Guyang Mao - How long did you even update for, anyway? Whatever, it was good while it lasted.

Steve Freidrichs - You were supposed to be our CGI guy but I don't remember what you even did, heh. You lived on a farm, which was always funny.

Julian - when I first met you your enthusiasm for Doomworld and your praise for me actually took me aback, but I soon found that you were keeping that spark that had dimmed in myself. Deimos Lab was awesome while it lasted. Too bad Doomsector never panned out, it would have been great. Now that you know PHP I don't feel so worried about leaving :)

Steve Dudzik - You modded and adminned the forums with a fervor, easily being the most popular authority figure the Doomworld forums ever had.

Mike Watson - The word "heh" is legend now. Doom Nation was a lot of fun under your command. Plus you got out just in time, before Doom 3 might have trapped you in for years longer had frag.com not disappeared. You've been around a long time without going retarded or getting too emotionally attached, which is rare.

Katarhyne Stone - After my gf and I broke up and you started hanging around on IRC, you helped me get over my fears that all women were crazy. Er, no, you helped me learn that some of them might be a good crazy.

Recidivus - Most loquacious Doomworld updater ever.

Juan Duquela - You weren't around for very long, but you had a real passion for it while you were.

Tommie Quick - You were my final fallback guy and never complained :)

AndrewB - Regardless of monging it up in recent months, you took the /newstuff ball and ran with it for an obscenely long time, establishing what is now Doomworld's favorite feature.

Liam the Bard - see above

Matt Dixon - Your Old Stuff Chronicles were long as hell but they were certainly interesting to read. But then you vanished :~(

Lee Killough - for putting my explosion code pointer idea into MBF. I was shocked when I found you had actually done it.

Simon Howard - For starting (although not yet ending) FreeDoom, and archiving all our greatest flamewars.

mewse - for being mewsey

Andy Kempling - You were involved in some of the most delightful flamewars, what with the cheating-demo controversy and the legendary Doomserv scandal.

Brad Carney - For helping me move, and stealing Hissy from me. Oh yes...

Chrozoron - For making Hissy, who kept me company those long winter nights.

Matt Denham - watching you change projects every 4 months was fun, going way back to 1997 or before when you planned giant elaborate 99-level TCs as MDOnyx. Becoming a girl was a good move too.

prower - You may be a fag now but you used to be cool. You'll always be twelve in my eyes.

Everyone who contributed in the 10 Sectors contest, even though I didn't actually make a level for it, it made me feel like I had given Doomers back something cool for all the cool stuff I had played for years and years.

Everyone on the Doomworld forums and #doom and #doomworld and #doomroom and #doom2 and #zdoom and everywhere else.

That about wraps it up I think. Doomworld will pass on to some sort of combination of Arioch and Mordeth and Julian and Cyb and mewse, I don't know who exactly has all the passwords. I'm sure I'll still be around, but not in any official position.

my jaw has just has the floor...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, you didn't seem to be as mad on doom as much as you once did, but that somewhat sudden...

Good run Ling. I have to say I've known Ling pretty much since the beginning of DW, and he's always done an amazing job with this site. He's done news, a shitload of behind the scenes stuff and some great articles and reviews, all without ever asking for anything in return. It's a thankless, shitty job where everyone points out everything you've done wrong to no end and never says a goddamn thing when you do something right, the latter of which is 100 times more often than the former.

Thanks Ling.

Heh. See you around, and good luck in whatever will take that part of your time DW used to take up.

Jaw Drops**
Seconds that
I dont really understand why your leaving. It looks like you done ALOT in the past years and your just leaving. But if you really want to leave thanks for everything.

Thanks for everything Linguica. Yeah people sure did bitch a lot at you (myself included I'm afraid... remember "Does Doomworld hate me"?) but you always kept cool and did the coolest job of being webmaster. I hope you find success in whatever you do next.

Well Ling you've done a good job in the years you've been around. i've only been around for 5 or so years now but i can remember all the cool things you've done in that time. so thanks for the fun and i hope you stick around in #doom.

Farewell Ling and thanks for giving in so much to hold the community for such a long time. You're definitely one of those guys done more to run a game site, especially you don't really get paid for, than any sites I've known. Good luck to you!

The final link...

Come back and visit every once in a while, it'll be strange without you around. Doomworld will always be my favorite Doom related site, as long as it's around. It opened my eyes to a wonderful world of addons, TCs, and flamewars, and without all your contribution, I doubt it would have come close to what it is today.

Long live the sausage.

Just when I thought things couldn’t get stranger...

Well, in my mind, Ling easily started THE BEST doom site which led THE BEST community EVER.

Your “no bull shit features ” forums policy made these forums MUCH more bearable then some of the other doom forums I would rather not mention. And while at times you loved to make us believe you where a tyrant, you have always been more then fair, and always willing to give people a second (sometimes third, and forth) chance(s). Well can only hope that your legacy lives on through your successors (and I don’t see any reason Mordeth and Julian would do other wise).

An if you are remembered for nothing else, you will be forever immortalized as “the hussy hog” in skulltag. And who else can say that eh?

Good luck, and Cheers!

::cries::

...ahem...Well, I know I haven't been a member of the forums very long but I have been around since the beginning and well, I must say Master Linguica, you did surpassed a far better job at this than any other site or forum I've ever seen nonetheless the most famous. This has been by far the best run site/forums I have seen in my short days of the internet, and eversince, DoomWorld has proudly been the site I live on, and my homepage and the most visited site I goto by a vast ammount. I can't help but wonder how this site would have beem without the devoted leadership of you, and quite frankly, I don't wanna think of that. I know in the short time I've been making myself heard, we've never seen eye-to-eye, and well, never talked, but I always tended to admire how you can run such a marvelous site and yet still have more of a life than I do and manage to keep your cool and have a good time. I envy your ability of patience and willingness to succeed, for this site alone is beyond what most people dream of succeeding, or at least for me anyways. Sure there may have been some unpleasant times, but with such a great site all the negative things just fade opposed to the positive. I only dream I can ever hope to accomplish as much as you did with this site Master Ling, and I can only wish that I could have been in a better way, and perhaps be privliged enough to talk to you on IRC or something. Well, Master Ling, its been a great long run, and I myself have enjoyed it, the past few years will be ones I will not forget and even if it does seem im making such a big deal outta this when I did so little, it still means so much to me, beyond what I can say. DoomWorld has been my more better home, and it surely wont be the same, without Papa Bear around. Good bye Master Linguica, and I wish you a great future for what ever you may do. :)

I don't think there's anything I can really say that hasn't been said already.

Doomworld will miss your leadership.

About that newsie thing ... I'm pretty sure I hung on as a regular for close to a year if not a year and a half, heh.

Hey Ling,

First, I owe you an apology for being so spaztic my last few days here. I took some cheap stabs at you but I'm done with rationalizing them away. I'm sorry for being such a prick those few months ago. You didn't deserve the shitstorm I started. You really did a lot of great work on the site, but I was too caught up in my own personal affairs regarding the forum issue to recognize that and give it proper homage at the time.

Anyway, thanks for running and maintaining such an enjoyable site and sticking with it even when it became a total drag. Best of luck in your future pursuits, and you're welcome to mail me whenever you want, if you so desire.

Take care.

Jaw dropping, I'm shocked. But nonetheless, me being someone who's changed a lot in 5 years, I understand the need to move on. Enjoy wherever life takes you, and though you're not running the place anymore, don't be a stranger and pop in here every once in a while.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that you've provided a home for me online, and being online wouldn't be a blast as it is with a community like the Doom Community, which basically revolves around Doomworld, and ultimately started with Doomworld. I'm indebted to you and Doomworld for providing a place that's warm and inviting in the vast, cold wasteland called the Internet. You've started and maintained something great, and that's something to be proud of.

Take care Ling.

Ling,

don't know you that well, but:

thanks for giving my ass a shot at /newstuff, and with it the feeling of 'giving something back' to the community after i promised many many projects and levels i never finished. even if i was late every other week and bailed out on you unexpectedly after a few months... sorry about that, heh.

and thanks for creating and maintaining the doomworld forums. i don't care to visit them too much nowadays but over two years ago when i didn't have jack to call a social life they were a great way to be noticed, and to meet cool people, many of which i still talk to on an almost-daily basis; Lüt, deadnail, Zaldron, Ralphis & the Unidoom clan, among others.

good luck in whatever it is you're going to do next.

Yeah, well, I've got to hand it to you Ling. You've done an incredible job throughout these years and we're sorry you're leaving.

Oh yeah, sorry about the whole ADC thing back in the day, I was just a kid ya know? =)

You know I've *always* loved this site and all the work you've done!

I read the subject of this thread and knew it. I'm sad, very sad. But i'm glad for Ling because it must be a terrible burden sometimes. I'm sure much strain has been lifted. Not too worried about the site, I'm sure it's in capable hands, but it's still my favorite hangout on the web. i didn't get to know you very well Ling but your efforts here are really appreciated..really! Seriously! I wish you the best. Geezus, gettin' all misty over here...

Thanks for all your hard work, Ling! I know I've bugged the shit out of you countless times, but I try to forget it :P You have been a large factor of Doom's popularity! If you had not maintained this site throughout all those years, I'm sure the Doom community (pre Doom3) would've been smaller. Once again I thank you for your great contribution to the community and wish you well everafter!

Wow that's a shocker, however I'm sure Julian might take the reigns now since she was the other Webmaster wasn't she?

This makes me feel nostalgic and stuff. In any case, you made the right decision, Ling, and I at least will be able to rest assured that Doomworld won't rot just because of this, considering the... devoted staff :)

Alientank said:

Wow that's a shocker, however I'm sure Julian might take the reigns now since she was the other Webmaster wasn't she?

Julian's quite hairy for a woman though, don't you think?

*Sob* The "Face" of Doomworld is leaving *sob*

Whatever you're going to do now, I hope you're gonna enjoy it. Thanks for running this badass site and those (at times) crazy forums and thanks for the time we've "known" each other.

/me waves goodbye