Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

The End of an Era

Mr. Chris said:

GIVE OUR COLORS BACK!

Don't whine. Shades of grey only appear for good causes.

Been here since the start, sad to see ya go Ling. Good Luck.

hmm... everybody's playing music huh?

/me plays Elton_John_-_Goodbye_Yellow_Brick_Road.mp3

Yes, that should do it.

Seems all the shocking/difficult things are happening all at once. While this event is trivial in terms of how it affects my life, it's still sad to hear. Hopefully, though, Ling will be able to reap the benefits of his new-found additional free time. He certainly did well at determining site/forum policy, even at the expense of socially dividing himself from the rest of us in some cases.

Hopefully whoever steps in isn't stupid, knows how to handle issues such as the Doom 3 leak in terms of what it means to this community, and doesn't fuck up the forums. And hopefully somebody new steps in... I'd hate to see the site just disappear.

So, the great Ling finally had to run off to find a use for his degree in Astrophysics. Does this mean he'll finally be answering the dozens of e-mails I've sent him?

Let Cyb take over. He is a good man. He actually DOES shit, with a bit of humor about it.

UAC PR Dept

/me wonders why this individual is still around forums **hint hint** ;)

/me looks in mirror and thinks...........

So be it. :D

UAC PR Dept said:

So, the great Ling finally had to run off to find a use for his degree in Astrophysics. Does this mean he'll finally be answering the dozens of e-mails I've sent him?

Let Cyb take over. He is a good man. He actually DOES shit, with a bit of humor about it.

I send him e-mails that don't get answered too. Get over it. You see, Linguica has this habit of not replying to e-mail if he doesn't think they're important.
Actually, when I e-mailed him about reviewing for newstuff, he never replied. After a week or so, he simply gave me access to the newstuff forum and told me about it on IRC.
I imagine he gets tons of e-mail all the time and probably doesn't reply to every single message. After all the time he's been on the site, all you have is complaints about such a pithy problem as unreplied e-mail?

Yes, Cyb actually DOES shit. Linguica does too. What the fuck do you ever do?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Well, thanks Ling for running the site that is really the definitive Doom site on the web.
We'll all miss you dearly.

Doomworld sure has been around a long time, hasn't it? I believe the only page of mine that pre-dates it was my old Clan QS (Quake Sucks) Homepage. Doomworld has pretty much been on track the whole time it has existed. You going to be around at all, perhaps in a consulting-type mode? It's much easier to break something that works well than it is to create one.

You seemed to take a lot of shit from people, with people's antics on the forums and on IRC. You stuck it out for a long time, that's for sure. Don't be a stranger, hm?

--BahdKo

Where does this assumption come from that Cyb will take over? Didn't someone say Mordeth was left in charge?

Uhm . . . okay. Maybe we should have all read the original thread.

"That about wraps it up I think. Doomworld will pass on to some sort of combination of Arioch and Mordeth and Julian and Cyb and mewse, I don't know who exactly has all the passwords. I'm sure I'll still be around, but not in any official position."

That answers both my questions quite adequately.

Thanks Ling, for the years of hard work and dedication. Doomworld has almost been as much a part of my life as Doom (almost). Don't be so hard on yourself with the levels you gave the community, your legacy of Doomworld and "5 Years of Doom" are huge accomplishments you can be proud of.

Take away some of our pain and tell us that you've been offered the job of Web Master for id's official Doom 3 site.....

All the best for the future, and thanks again.

Heh, it's all so positive.

Thanks for running the site and keeping the community going, and all that great stuff.

Thanks for leaving, too.

HaKx said:

Adios Ling,

For what little contact we had, you were damned respectable.

(tips his hat)
Dave

OMFG it's HaKx.

Anyways.. I'm gone ONE WEEK. and all this shit goes down.. Some site called Doom sector goes down, Doomcenters webmasters moves to doomworld, ling quits Doomworld.. wth.. There has been nothing intresting happening the last 6 months, and the week I'm gone, this shit happens.. meh.

Anyway.. I don't really remember the opening day or anyting of DW,. I just know I was around at that time.. had been for a couple of months prior to it.. When Justins Doomnews was the best place for news, (I loved doomshack) anyways.. as the headline says. it's the end of an era.