Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ALPINED

Why does DOOM Marine in DOOM 1-2 wear gloves but when he has the fist he dosen't have them?

always thought about how tf he got his gloves so quick when he got his guns in hands

Just a weird inconsistencies because id didn't care much.

But they also change colors in most sprites compared to the cover. (brown/tan skin colored vs black colors)

Quake 3 and D2RPG keep the brown gloves while QC and Eternal lean closer to the cover box design.

Considering the in-gameplay version, Adrian Carmack's concept sketch and how the cover probably came after, i feel like the brown gloves are the real "canon" but that is always up in the air.

Oh, cannot forget the brass knuckles.

Because gloves get in the way of fitting on the brass knuckles. Better control with bare hands because it’s such a small thing that fits over your fingers.

The guns and chainsaw he wears the gloves to have more grippy texture between his hand and the gun handle to get a better grip. He wouldn’t need that with the brass knuckles, and chances are the brass knuckles could fall off with the gloves on because they’re not as close to the knuckles as they should be. 

Edited by Gerolf : Spacing

he has four arms: two for shooting and two for punching

but unfortunately, he only had one pair of gloves )`:

I would wear a full suit on Mars...or in contact with alien demons & radioactive sludge...something like imperial marines...

He quickly takes the gloves off and puts on the knuckle dusters, that’s all there is to it really. This man can run nearly 60mph so him doing it fast is no issue imo :)

Maybe he doesn't want his gloves to be stained with demon blood

Edited by Lol 6 : Does "stained" exist? I don't know

17 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

He quickly takes the gloves off and puts on the knuckle dusters, that’s all there is to it really. This man can run nearly 60mph so him doing it fast is no issue imo :)

But he takes a goddamn ice age to switch between weapons?

No, I'm not salty *cries in waiting for the Plasma Gun to get pulled out while Pinkies munch off his face*

2 minutes ago, Pechudin said:

But he takes a goddamn ice age to switch between weapons?

No, I'm not salty *cries in waiting for the Plasma Gun to get pulled out while Pinkies munch off his face*

Now I suspect that Doomguy actually have a lot of different gloves for every single of his gun.

I never really noticed that in Doom/Doom 2, but he does wear gloves like normal in Doom 64, although he punches with the left hand that you almost never see outside of the attack animation.

- Doomguy take off his gloves

- Punch the living hell out of everyone

- Put his gloves back

Tell me what the hell is that? Badassery? A bothersome? Because I can imagine him doing that and humming At Doom's Gate while taking off and putting his gloves back and say "UNF".

Anyway, it's such a funny inconsistency with the weapons.

must be a model/game oversight. although I can make a guess that maybe he uses the gloves when he has guns and uses his actual fists without gloves to punch the demons

Honestly I never really noticed... but the fists in a way is its own weapon, so maybe he just slips the gloves off when it's punchin' time.

May sound weird, but I own a salt rifle(not an assault rifle, but a rifle that shoots salt at bugs) and my hands are sweaty, so I wear a single glove to grip the pump. so it could be for better grip

9 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

- Put his gloves back

Tell me what the hell is that? Badassery? A bothersome? Because I can imagine him doing that and humming At Doom's Gate while taking off and putting his gloves back and say "UNF".

Anyway, it's such a funny inconsistency with the weapons.

He wants to make the Demons feel who punches them :)

Edit:

I bet they thought back then that the pure Fist looks better that one with a Glove.

Edited by Azuris

12 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

- Put his gloves back

Please reenact and upload on Youtube :)

The gloves are itchy for Doomguy, so he takes em off every time he goes in for berserk punchies. It’s essentially a break from those gloves.

15 hours ago, roadworx said:

he has four arms: two for shooting and two for punching

but unfortunately, he only had one pair of gloves )`:

Similarly, Duke Nukem got five legs: one for kickin', one for quick kickin', one for stompin' on shrunk enemies, and the last two for moving around normally.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Similarly, Duke Nukem got five legs: one for kickin', one for quick kickin', one for stompin' on shrunk enemies, and the last two for moving around normally.

at one time you could move while quick kicking and kicking at the same time before it got patched out.

t'was hilarious.

8 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

at one time you could move while quick kicking and kicking at the same time before it got patched out.

Yep, that's what I was referring to. There's footage of Duke Nukem with three legs on the screen, because the player is simultaneously kicking, quick kicking, and walking on a shrunk pig cop which causes the stomping animation to play.

16 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

- Put his gloves back

Don't you know? Doomguy is the ultimate battle butler, combining combat prowess with finesse and aplomb worthy of the best Maître d'.

This is something that always irked me, mainly because the arm/fist sprite is so damn ugly, and is drawn at an awkward angle with a weird bend at the wrist. If it was a straight muscular arm throwing a straight punch, it would look to much more satisfying, with or without gloves.

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This is something that always irked me, mainly because the arm/fist sprite is so damn ugly, and is drawn at an awkward angle with a weird bend at the wrist. If it was a straight muscular arm throwing a straight punch, it would look to much more satisfying, with or without gloves.

Somewhere deep in the dungeons of id, a Kevin Cloud is silently sobbing and whimpering.

Edited by Maes : silentrly -> silently