Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beleth

Performance of GZDoom on new iMac 2021?

Did anyone test performance-demanding mods on the new iMac that came out earlier this year, f.e. a random Bridgeburner-map or Blade of Agony? At the moment I have an old macbookpro from 2014 and I'm thinking about buying a new computer this year. I played BOA recently and in the outdoor-areas the performance went to almost unplayable.

I hate to be that guy, but is there any specific reason you want a Mac instead of a PC?

BoA is a slideshow even on a lot of modern hardware, so I wouldn't really use that to determine average GZDoom performance.

;-D

Of course, I'm used to answering that question as I often have discussions with my neighbor who is a Linux-sysadmin.

For my actual computer, I had the choice between Linux and Mac because I need the underlying shells for work as I'm mostly writing R and Shellscripts. I used Linux for a long time and it was nice, but I spent too much time configuring, and too often software wasn't running that I would have liked to run. I had an old Windows PC for gaming that broke down several years ago and never repaired it because I just occasionally take the time for gaming now (< 2 evenings per week) and didn't want to invest much money into a thing that's just occasionally used. Also, I like the interface a lot more due to its hotkeys and other small but nice additions. When I'm sitting on a Windows machine, it always feels like a step back in time in terms of interaction with the machine.

The only big disappointment is the high price (which is higher in the EU than in the states), the graphics performance, and the inability of the OS to disable mouse acceleration... 

Sadly, it never really worked for me. Quakespasm runs perfectly, but other games don't. I tried different tools but without success.

bridgeburner maps will probably be fine - at least, i would think so. bastion of chaos has a low-end version so it'll probably be fine, but the full edition will probably run like shit

blade of agony isn't gonna run on anything other than a nasa supercomputer tho

15 hours ago, roadworx said:

bridgeburner maps will probably be fine - at least, i would think so. bastion of chaos has a low-end version so it'll probably be fine, but the full edition will probably run like shit

blade of agony isn't gonna run on anything other than a nasa supercomputer tho

Hrm, wasn't it the original intention of NASAs founding fathers to fly to the moon and attack the nazi-base there? So it would be at least nice of them to allow us run BoA on their supercomputers meanwhile ;)