Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomRevolver

Mortal Mechanism - my first UDMF wad

VERY IMPORTANT: Since this is a UDMF wad, please don't use the "strict Doom compatibility" mode 
                          or you won't be able to open some doors!! 

>>This time I merged the WAD with the cc4 textures file. In case the textures don't work, please let me know.
                                            I recommend using GZDoom 4.6.0

Description:

This is a singleplayer tech base made in UDMF with Doom2 IWAD and now cc4-tex as well. 

Rockets are sacred in this wad, make sure to manage them wisely.
                          You can choose where to go first and collect 
                          keys in different orders for replayability. 
                          I provided many shortcuts and interconnected 
                          sections to make backtracking easier.

Please don't use jump, crouch or any new mechanics.

>>>>DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION: Mortal Mechanism v.2.1.8.rar

You can also find this wad in DavidxNewton's RAMP community project: https://ramp.teamouse.net/index.php

427748401_Capturadepantalla2021-06-06163301.png.589847327f5227fd2eb8e2e6f1ae88ac.png

1000294980_Capturadepantalla2021-06-05121401.png.ada10bcc50712a8ca668bacd25b2b241.png

267530255_Capturadepantalla2021-06-02165918.png.f0a3861625a70ca8486c1cb2aed68b80.png417143238_Capturadepantalla2021-06-06162221.png.716cc9d67a7d7461344a1e6a66d132ab.png

1954671182_Capturadepantalla2021-06-04193159.png.b467d4c8d7d8690b7a3ccdfa18c504be.png

Edited by DoomRevolver : file update

23 minutes ago, Endy McGufin said:

That looks so cool. First screenshot reminds me of sigil a bit. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

Thanks buddy. The combat is also very inspired by Sigil

I really enjoyed this so far, it feels very metroidvania-like with always having multiple directions to explore in, and I really like the way you lay out each situation so the player always has a good idea of what's going on in each area, the toxic room was a highlight. My first run at the level seems to have run into a softlock though, it might be as simple as a couple of door linedefs facing the wrong way, or maybe I should have found the yellow key before I got to this room, but I couldn't find a way out:

mortal.png.230985fb3c0e7feada96c83c8d97ed56.png

Maybe I did things in an unexpected order, I'm going to take another run and do things in a different sequence.

mortal.zip
There's a bit of a pause at the start as my GZDoom always defaults to freelook on when I load

13 minutes ago, P0NYSLAYSTATION said:

I really enjoyed this so far, it feels very metroidvania-like with always having multiple directions to explore in, and I really like the way you lay out each situation so the player always has a good idea of what's going on in each area, the toxic room was a highlight. My first run at the level seems to have run into a softlock though, it might be as simple as a couple of door linedefs facing the wrong way, or maybe I should have found the yellow key before I got to this room, but I couldn't find a way out:

mortal.png.230985fb3c0e7feada96c83c8d97ed56.png

Maybe I did things in an unexpected order, I'm going to take another run and do things in a different sequence.

mortal.zip
There's a bit of a pause at the start as my GZDoom always defaults to freelook on when I load

Glad you're enjoying it! keep looking, the key is hidden hehe it doesn't matter the order. But the yellow one needs a bit more investigation inthat area. There are two doors you should be able to open there without keys

PS: I can't play your demo in Zdoom or GZdoom, what launcher are you using?

Edited by DoomRevolver

At first, the enemy count made me want to puke, but thankfully it's not THAT kind of a map and all the combat scenarios were pretty well-balanced and a great deal of fun. I was worried the progression at first would be a little confusing, but it turned out reasonably straightforward and I suppose the big long arrows on the floor help a bit. I would give you flak for doing that since we don't even let our beloved Hell-Father, Sandy Petersen get away with it, but...BAH! I'll give you this one since the map was pretty fun and interesting. This was quite a ride through this mechanical labyrinth. A terrific use of Vanilla textures with lots of abstract shapes and lovely detailing. I enjoyed this one a lot. :^)

1 hour ago, DoomRevolver said:

PS: I can't play your demo in Zdoom or GZdoom, what launcher are you using?

Maybe try PRBoom+ to play it? I've had the same issue many a time and its usually because of the demo being of a different source port. 

Sorry I was busy playing the map haha, I still haven't beaten it yet (I'm not using saves) but I'm really enjoying the pacing and the build up of difficulty and storytelling. Turns out there was nothing softlocking me, I had GZDoom in strict Doom compatibility so the custom door actions weren't working, which is probably also why the demo file didn't work, try this one:

Although I only realised I was in the wrong compat settings halfway through and forgot to restart after fixing, so that might not work either thinking about it. I'm having a quick break before taking another crack at the map, hopefully there won't be any issues on the next attempt lol.

The launcher I'm using is ZDL with the -record parameter, sorry I'm new to demo recording maybe that's not the right way to do it.

Edit: Nah I'm just dumb, I was sending you the empty demo file from when I tried to launch with Woof instead of GZDoom, this is the right one

mortal.zip

DoomRevolver back at it again with a humongus map ! :D

And truthfully, I believe this is by far one of your best creations to come up on this website yet. The neat alchemy between level design and the thematics proposed, labyrinthic progression and intense gunfights make one hell of a good cement holding together this fine piece of a WAD. I don't yet if we can call this one a potential classic, but it has everything needed to become one.

Thankfully as well, I was able to run it on a potat laptop. Sure, the final section makes everything a bit laggy on the long run, but it's acceptable enough. And obviously, High-end PCs won't be even bothered a bit by all this.

Congrats on this one, friend !

I still haven't finished it because I'm bad, I got as far as the second blue key this time, the second cyber area is really cool, he got me the first time from blending into the background so well I didn't know where the rockets were coming from though, that area might benefit from some white walls or higher brightness to make him stand out more, I also ran dry on plasma and rockets before he was dead, but that's probably poor ammo management on my part, I was getting pretty liberal with them towards the end and there was lots of ammo up to that point, I'll give my full thoughts when I've actually been able to beat the thing lol. So far it does a great job of feeling like I'm descending deeper into more hostile territory

Also I really enjoyed THAT secret which I won't spoil. It and many other areas that felt like secrets, didn't seem to be tagged as such though, was that intentional?

mortal (2).zip

14 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

At first, the enemy count made me want to puke, but thankfully it's not THAT kind of a map and all the combat scenarios were pretty well-balanced and a great deal of fun. I was worried the progression at first would be a little confusing, but it turned out reasonably straightforward and I suppose the big long arrows on the floor help a bit. I would give you flak for doing that since we don't even let our beloved Hell-Father, Sandy Petersen get away with it, but...BAH! I'll give you this one since the map was pretty fun and interesting. This was quite a ride through this mechanical labyrinth. A terrific use of Vanilla textures with lots of abstract shapes and lovely detailing. I enjoyed this one a lot. :^)

Amazing gameplay my friend, thank you for your opinion as well :) Honestly I never had a problem with arrows and wires when they're used to avoid confusion in complicated maps. In most situations, I want the player to know exactly what just activated via switch and where. It was a bit confusing in my previous maps.

I'm glad you appreciate the use of textures as well.

Also I laughed a lot with the beginning of the gameplay and minute 43:56 It's exactly the reaction I expected there xDDD btw what mods do you use to play with that hud and gore effects?

Have a wonderful day!

Edited by DoomRevolver

11 hours ago, Origamyde said:

DoomRevolver back at it again with a humongus map ! :D

And truthfully, I believe this is by far one of your best creations to come up on this website yet. The neat alchemy between level design and the thematics proposed, labyrinthic progression and intense gunfights make one hell of a good cement holding together this fine piece of a WAD. I don't yet if we can call this one a potential classic, but it has everything needed to become one.

Thankfully as well, I was able to run it on a potat laptop. Sure, the final section makes everything a bit laggy on the long run, but it's acceptable enough. And obviously, High-end PCs won't be even bothered a bit by all this.

Congrats on this one, friend !

Wow I feel very honoured, thanks a lot for your comment! It gives me a lot of joy to see people enjoying my work that much. 

I hope everyone is able to run it without problems.

Thanks for playing, have a nice day :D

15 minutes ago, DoomRevolver said:

what mods do you use to play with that hud and gore effects?

The Vanilla enhancement mod I'm using is Dead Marine by the very talented Gifty, which has its own gore system but I've discovered it blends almost seamlessly with my go-to gore mod, Nash's Gore so I like to mix 'em together hehe.

11 hours ago, P0NYSLAYSTATION said:

I still haven't finished it because I'm bad, I got as far as the second blue key this time, the second cyber area is really cool, he got me the first time from blending into the background so well I didn't know where the rockets were coming from though, that area might benefit from some white walls or higher brightness to make him stand out more, I also ran dry on plasma and rockets before he was dead, but that's probably poor ammo management on my part, I was getting pretty liberal with them towards the end and there was lots of ammo up to that point, I'll give my full thoughts when I've actually been able to beat the thing lol. So far it does a great job of feeling like I'm descending deeper into more hostile territory

Also I really enjoyed THAT secret which I won't spoil. It and many other areas that felt like secrets, didn't seem to be tagged as such though, was that intentional?

mortal (2).zip

It's a hard map, don't be ashamed of lowering down the difficulty. I always configure demon spawns in every difficulty thinking on every player. I also die a lot on UV. You can see Biodegradable's gameplay, he's a better player than me at my own maps xD also you can manage the rooms in different ways and look for secrets that can help you (congrats on finding that one hehe) but to be honest I always try to create a sense of survival in some ways so the player doesn't feel too empowered unless it finds secrets like the BFG, SSG or megaspheres.  Thanks for playing!

13 hours ago, i suck at nicknames said:

Maybe try PRBoom+ to play it? I've had the same issue many a time and its usually because of the demo being of a different source port. 

PrBoom+ will not be able to open the map at all, so it's not going to be able to play the demo either.

4 minutes ago, DoomRevolver said:

You can see Biodegradable's gameplay, he's a better player than me at my own maps xD

I know exactly what you’re talking about. 😅

3 minutes ago, sectrslayr said:

I know exactly what you’re talking about. 😅

next time I'm gonna have to make a master level version for him LoL

36 minutes ago, DoomRevolver said:

next time I'm gonna have to make a master level version for him LoL

How deliciously ominous. ;^) >:^)

It’s an interesting topic on how to make maps difficult without throwing millions of monsters or having surprise closets around every corner. 

I noticed a situation in the video where a bunch of imps appeared. And while they moved towards him slowly started to surround him. If the player does not have the weaponry to mass-murder everything quickly all there is to sit and watch them forming a threat from all sides. I need to build this too… 😈

Made it to the yellow key unspoiled on UV on my first attempt. Let the chaingunners do their thing a bit too well and the revenant finished me.

First impressions:

Big improvement over initiation temple, the last wad by you I played. Resources are placed more purposefully and your texturing and detailing have improved a bunch. Combat felt a bit easy for UV though, unless there are difficulty spikes after obtaining the yellow key you kept serving me up enemies in easy to chew bitesize chucks and I only really even wanted that rocket launcher you showed me to kill the turret cyber.

Most of the UDMFness of this wad that I could see was in using walls as floors and floors as walls, which you clearly had fun with and looks cool. I think you could do with catching up on some boomisms though, e.g.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Transfer_CeilingLight Equivalent to 261 in Boom could have been used on these lighting features. I will say though that sector lighting around bright objects is a bit redundant if your level is gzdoom only.

And for doing more with UDMF try looking at https://zdoom.org/wiki/Plane_Align I think some of your detailing really wanted to be sloped, it's as easy as putting that linedef on a stepped structure.

I'll post a demo of my 2nd attempt. Loved the feature in screenshot attatched

Screenshot from 2021-06-10 12-49-25.png

playthrough.zip

This would have gone way better if I hadn't circlestrafed the cyberdemon for nothing and then insisted on running through the acid without a radsuit anyway after getting the yellow key, apologies. If I get the time I'll give it another go

Edited by Gwarl

1 hour ago, Gwarl said:

Made it to the yellow key unspoiled on UV on my first attempt. Let the chaingunners do their thing a bit too well and the revenant finished me.

First impressions:

Big improvement over initiation temple, the last wad by you I played. Resources are placed more purposefully and your texturing and detailing have improved a bunch. Combat felt a bit easy for UV though, unless there are difficulty spikes after obtaining the yellow key you kept serving me up enemies in easy to chew bitesize chucks and I only really even wanted that rocket launcher you showed me to kill the turret cyber.

Most of the UDMFness of this wad that I could see was in using walls as floors and floors as walls, which you clearly had fun with and looks cool. I think you could do with catching up on some boomisms though, e.g.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Transfer_CeilingLight Equivalent to 261 in Boom could have been used on these lighting features. I will say though that sector lighting around bright objects is a bit redundant if your level is gzdoom only.

And for doing more with UDMF try looking at https://zdoom.org/wiki/Plane_Align I think some of your detailing really wanted to be sloped, it's as easy as putting that linedef on a stepped structure.

I'll post a demo of my 2nd attempt. Loved the feature in screenshot attatched

Screenshot from 2021-06-10 12-49-25.png

Hello, thanks for playing. There's a secret way to rip that turret cyberdemon without firing a single shot heh. But don't worry, the rocket launcher will become a key weapon later in the level and the difficulty will increase.

Thanks for the advice on UDMF. I'll take a look at it.

Glad you noticed that machinery detail, It was a last hour addition before submitting the wad. I made more assets like that but I'll probably save them for future wads.

12 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

The Vanilla enhancement mod I'm using is Dead Marine by the very talented Gifty, which has its own gore system but I've discovered it blends almost seamlessly with my go-to gore mod, Nash's Gore so I like to mix 'em together hehe.

Thanks! seems I have some problems with the HUD scale, I'll have to check how to fix it but the weapons feel very satisfying.

Oh and here's where the SSG was. It requires some ptransversal puzzle of course ;D515187939_Capturadepantalla2021-06-10203741.png.54b5fe930e6a272045c71fd23f3cbc9f.png

Damn this is really cool vanilla texture usage, I really liked the look of the map I was pretty surprised. The layout was pretty good considering it is pretty big and I barely got lost, I enjoy that the switches always are close to the things that they open. Also, the BFG puzzle was fun.

The secret fight was pretty cool, but I was honestly expecting more secret fights with them or more usage of the gimmick.

I didn't really like the last fight, all those rooms around it feel weird and pointless and the fight itself is really underwhelming considering I there were like 300 enemies left.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more maps from you!

I just finished it, it was fun, i liked it. First time I died was to the second cyberdemon (southwest of the map, i think), he sniped me from afar. Didn't manage to find any secret and forgot about the SSG until I got the last red key 😅

The layout is good, gives a nice sense of exploration and suspense. The fact that it's interconnected makes it easier to navigate the level as one progresses.

Good Archvile placement, didn't expect them.

I really liked the last room with the pinkies, it was really original, I don't remember any wad with something similar.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:03 AM, Blip said:

Damn this is really cool vanilla texture usage, I really liked the look of the map I was pretty surprised. The layout was pretty good considering it is pretty big and I barely got lost, I enjoy that the switches always are close to the things that they open. Also, the BFG puzzle was fun.

The secret fight was pretty cool, but I was honestly expecting more secret fights with them or more usage of the gimmick.

I didn't really like the last fight, all those rooms around it feel weird and pointless and the fight itself is really underwhelming considering I there were like 300 enemies left.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more maps from you!

Hello, thanks for playing and sharing your opinion.

Spoiler

I'm realizing that players handle the last fight in different ways, which is kinda the point. Some players decide to run to the other big door and resist while the blast doors open, so they finally get the powerups and activate the crushers to fight back. But the ones who get the BFG and a lot of ammo seems to handle it quicker so then the invulnerabilities and the crushers lose their purpose. I can see why it's less exciting that way xD It's the price I pay trying to give choice to the player. I might think on something to improve that fight!

Again thanks for appreciating my work. I'll be very busy this months so I don't think I'll have time to work on a new map soon, but I have another 3 wads uploaded if you want to try them :D  

EDIT: nevermind, I'm already working on another one xDD

Edited by DoomRevolver

On 6/10/2021 at 9:51 AM, Biodegradable said:

How deliciously ominous. ;^) >:^)

Oh I forgot to tell you, If you're interested, I recently upgraded Omega Fortress and it's way more challenging than the original version (for me at least). I wanted to let you know because your feedback was very useful