Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The BMFG

Should I Make A Twitter Account?

it's easy to say "twitter bad" like a lot of people have in this thread

but the truth of it is that all social media is like that, you need to put some time in to curate what you're gonna see, that's kind of the point of social media in general.
otherwise, you're going to get shown stuff that gets the most interaction, and that's usually popular accounts or drama, and usually it's not pleasant to be around

it's all down to who you follow and what you're going to mute/block, really. if you keep your follow list small, imo it's easy to manage.

also like, just outright don't use twitter on mobile at all. ever since uninstalling it, i've actually felt a lot better in general. i really just use it on my cornputer (and even then, via tweetdeck just so when i do use it, it's actually for productive stuff!)

all of that said, it's really up to you. if you want one, then make one, no harm no foul. if not, then don't make one. i realize im late on this because you already have made one haha, but yea i hope my reply helps somewhat?

On a personal note, as someone who checks twitter about least once per day, I would echo what others have said and recommend not joining. I find the site addictive and mean and honestly wish I had never started using it.

As far as your YouTube channel, in my day job I am a digital marketer that helps sell products through YouTube and social media, and I can confidently say that you don't need a Twitter account. I mean, two of the most popular Doomtubers today are Decino and MtPain27, neither of whom have Twitters associated with their account. If you want to promote your content, you need to go where the audience for that content, specifically, is - and in the case of Doom, that's mostly here (duh) or Reddit. It will also help if you know how to game the YouTube algorithm with "Video Search Engine Optimization", or VSEO - here's a good guide to get you started. Doing this will be much more beneficial than creating a Twitter and, if you're like me, possibly better for your mental health as well.

It is possible to just avoid the drama and just follow the creators/other content you're interested in, but if you want to interact with people of have arguments of any nature in the platform, no. So basically: Will you just follow people and like/retweet stuff - maybe; Actually interacting with people there - hell no.

If you want to talk to people about retro games, I'd highly recommend creating a Myspace instead. You'll be able to talk about games from that came out in 2005 and anyone who has an account there will think that everything you post and talk about is ultra modern stuff, because they're all still living in 2005.

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

If you want to talk to people about retro games, I'd highly recommend creating a Myspace instead. You'll be able to talk about games from that came out in 2005 and anyone who has an account there will think that everything you post and talk about is ultra modern stuff, because they're all still living in 2005.

sad that myspace got turned into a big music hub

13 minutes ago, instagib said:

sad that myspace got turned into a big music hub

All I can remember about Myspace is checking someone's profile just to learn that I hate the music they listen to. And advertisements, and ugly profile layouts, and people competing over who had the most gangsta profile aesthetics in a time where everything on the internet (sorry, the "world wide web") was butt ugly. Oh, and people getting crucified for switching to Facebook.

i almost never use it despite having an account there, imo its only useful for following content creators and profiles of youtube channels im subbed to, i find facebook far more useful, groups, people i know and can talk to...etc

Edited by sluggard

I don't have any experience in Twitter beyond posting for my company.

But what I can say, your logic of making a Twitter account to make YouTube successful doesn't sound right to me. I would think it's once you're successful in some form of media (that produces real content) then you can create a Twitter people will follow.

Perhaps we can compare this to the ice-berg analogy, one that I would apply to the music industry. "I want to create a metal band and be famous, like Metallica" when really the few famous and successful bands are the small tip we see sitting on top of an enormous block of competitors and corpses that never makes it. You're likely to add to the count.

For Youtube and social media, I see it quite similar. Fortunately I think Youtube gives an individual a bit more opportunity to build a strong fan base on their own if they're good and consistent with content, and targeting the right crowd. If you have a quiet channel with low quality content, I don't think Twitter will do you any favours.

1 hour ago, Kurogachii said:

All social media has a grade of toxicity, but twitter definitely takes the cake.

I disagree. Facebook is irrevocably the worst thing on the internet.

6 minutes ago, june gloom said:

4chan /b/

Also, everyone's comments about curating your Twitter are important. As is using the the platform you're actually on in order to promote & market the platform you create with. I'm an amateur at Twitter marketing, but I suspect that cross-platform promotion does not work particularly well. I could be entirely incorrect, so take my suspicion with a grain of salt. Ymmv.

Edited by Rytrik

1 minute ago, june gloom said:

does 4chan count?

1 hour ago, june gloom said:

Well that's aggressively unfunny.

Meanwhile my Twitter experience has been largely positive probably because I'm not the type of loser who punches down on people.

Corny dank memes about not having a PS5 is punching down now? See this is what people are talking about

4chan and 8kun might be the eye of the storm wrt QAnon (as well as being the cause of geek culture becoming even more toxic and reactionary than it used to be) but Facebook has had an active role in the undermining of what passes for democracy in the west.

Just now, insertwackynamehere said:

Corny dank memes about not having a PS5 is punching down now? See this is what people are talking about

Mocking people for not being able to afford the latest big thing is definitely punching down.

Just now, june gloom said:

Mocking people for not being able to afford the latest big thing is definitely punching down.

you do realize that when jack said that he was obviously joking right?

like i literally just explained that earlier

can you even read sir?

Do you not understand what "punching down" means?

Also, I am not a sir. I work for a living.

2 hours ago, The BMFG said:

this was the tweet i was talking about

lemme ask you this: do you understand why people wouldn't like that?

oof didn't know there was a second page i'm a dummy

Edited by roadworx

My understanding is PS5 faced production shortages, but either way, not owning a video game system is not the same as being in a marginalized class (that’s actually hilariously gross in its own right to posit), especially when phrased in such an intentionally glib way. It takes a lot of hops to end up at “making fun of poor people” and that’s exactly what makes Twitter such trash. Not punching down is a good thing until you start arguing in earnest people should be fired over some stupid joke about PS5 ownership

19 minutes ago, june gloom said:

I'd agree with this but maybe for different reasons. I'm more worried about Zuck's shenanigans when it comes to privacy, as well as the way Facebook gets used to spread disinformation among the general public.

Twitter nonsense, bad as it may be, is actually pretty well-contained within the site itself, so it's not really ruining the Internet as a whole.

As for 4chan, the usual suspect boards like b and pol are definitely up there. I don't really interact with it enough to vouch for the rest of the site though I've heard that those two are generally seen as "containment boards" that help keep the worst shit off of the rest of the site. I imagine the specific-interest boards are at the very least less bad.

13 minutes ago, insertwackynamehere said:

My understanding is PS5 faced production shortages, but either way, not owning a video game system is not the same as being in a marginalized class (that’s actually hilariously gross in its own right to posit), especially when phrased in such an intentionally glib way. It takes a lot of hops to end up at “making fun of poor people” and that’s exactly what makes Twitter such trash. Not punching down is a good thing until you start arguing in earnest people should be fired over some stupid joke about PS5 ownership

ah. that actually puts it into context. hopefully it was just a misunderstanding then

but, here's the thing. we're in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the great depression - it was obviously worse in november of last year considering the second wave of covid was beginning - and lots of attention has been brought to the wealth gap over the past few years. is it really "gross" to assume that this would feel like rubbing this all in?

As someone who generally views Twatter as a constant garbage can fire of the highest order, it is incredibly useful for gamedev stuff. Both for keeping track of people/games/mods you think are cool, and sharing your own work. My experiences with the gamedev community on twitter have been unrelentingly positive (with a few isolated exceptions). I have met many fantastic people through twitter and actually recruited people for Age of Hell through that medium. Biggest coup was Amuscaria reaching out to me after I drunkenly tweeted I was looking for a weapon spriter. 

If you curate it properly and don't get pulled into stupid arguments, twitter is very handy. But if you fall into its depthless abyss then not so good.

3 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

As someone who generally views Twatter as a constant garbage can fire of the highest order, it is incredibly useful for gamedev stuff. Both for keeping track of people/games/mods you think are cool, and sharing your own work. My experiences with the gamedev community on twitter have been unrelentingly positive (with a few isolated exceptions). I have met many fantastic people through twitter and actually recruited people for Age of Hell through that medium. Biggest coup was Amuscaria reaching out to me after I drunkenly tweeted I was looking for a weapon spriter. 

If you curate it properly and don't get pulled into stupid arguments, twitter is very handy. But if you fall into its depthless abyss then not so good.

i want to reinforce this point - as someone who creates content for other people, twitter has been invaluable for getting in touch with people in a way that doesn't rely on discord (discord's fine as is, i use it a lot, but i use it a LOT more for conversations with folks i keep close by, as I imagine is the case with a lot of others here), while not regressing back to something like IRC for communicating. it being a rather popular platform people most likely already have an account on helps, and again, as bridge said, the gamedev communities are very good to be around in.

but for the OP (think this is the topic of the thread), it might not be that applicable, as they seem to be interested in using it as a companion alongside their youtube - it might not help you much honestly, unless the kind of content you plan to create has a sizable audience on twitter as well.

i THINK what people meant by "twitter is required to get anywhere on youtube" is less about twitter specifically, but more about people sharing that video of yours that they just watched. twitter is just one of many places they could share it to, and it could also be facebook, discord, tik tok (or whatever it's called..) etc.

20 minutes ago, roadworx said:

but, here's the thing. we're in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the great depression - it was obviously worse in november of last year considering the second wave of covid was beginning - and lots of attention has been brought to the wealth gap over the past few years. is it really "gross" to assume that this would feel like rubbing this all in?

The vast majority of people who want a PS5 can't get one because they aren't available to the vast majority of people, not because they are poor. It's more an act of rubbing in the fact that "I got lucky you didn't haha", which isn't necessarily funny but not offensive either. It's mainly just a Playstation community thing. Very common, even on the PS subreddit.

Just now, MelonadeM said:

i THINK what people meant by "twitter is required to get anywhere on youtube" is less about twitter specifically, but more about people sharing that video of yours that they just watched. twitter is just one of many places they could share it to, and it could also be facebook, discord, tik tok (or whatever it's called..) etc.

Thanks. that makes much more sense than what i interpreted it as 

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The vast majority of people who want a PS5 can't get one because they aren't available to the vast majority of people, not because they are poor. It's more an act of rubbing in the fact that "I got lucky you didn't haha", which isn't necessarily funny but not offensive either. It's mainly just a Playstation community thing.

i get that, and i'm not saying that wasn't the intention. however, people can misinterpret things, especially with all this shit on their mind; i can see why people would be upset if they didn't have the full context behind it.

Just now, roadworx said:

i get that, and i'm not saying that wasn't the intention. however, people can misinterpret things, especially with all this shit on their mind; i can see why people would be upset if they didn't have the full context behind it.

If they don't get the context they probably don't have any desire for a PS5, considering that it's been a community-wide joke since the PS5 released. I've lived in a hotel for about eight years now and it doesn't offend me. If you're poor you have other things to worry about than somebody on the internet talking about a video game console.

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

If they don't get the context they probably don't have any desire for a PS5, considering that it's been a community-wide joke since the PS5 released. I've lived in a hotel for about eight years now and it doesn't offend me. If you're poor you have other things to worry about than somebody on the internet talking about a video game console.

that's true, i didn't think about that. nvm then

19 minutes ago, roadworx said:

that's true, i didn't think about that. nvm then

Don't worry, I understand what you mean. There are people on Instagram who post pictures of themselves literally rolling around in money (usually shirtless teens with $5 bills, but still), and they do end up crossing "the line". They also look really stupid. It all just depends on context. Bragging about luck is sometimes just playful, sometimes really offensive, usually not both at the same time though. Although I'm sure some examples are out there, unfortunately. A lot of people on the internet don't consider the difference between crude humor and flat-out poor taste when they post things. There's nothing worse than looking at small bills stuck to a teenager's nipple sweat.

Also, while we're on that topic, how do you guys feel about Instagram?

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

I wouldn't recommend it until your channel has grown a lot, it would just be a waste of time if you only have double digits to triple digits in subscribers.