Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
instagib

fake demons?

I am making a map thats supposed to be scary and was wondering if I could get the player to hear demons but not have any.

You can make decorative objects make sounds as some sort of ambience.

Or use Lost souls outside the map, as they don't count toward kills in most ports?

1 minute ago, Vermil said:

Or use Lost souls outside the map, as they don't count toward kills in most ports?

idk about gzdoom though

Using Dehacked, it's possible to have decorative objects (like a hanged man) emit sounds on a continuous loop. That's what I am doing to have my torches create fire crackling sounds when you are close to them. This method is compatible with the Boom source port, so it is also possible with GZDoom.

If you're targetting the GZDoom port, I'm sure there are ways with the UMDF format and zscript to create random demon sounds around the player, but I have never used UMDF format so I don't know about that. Probably something involving an invisible actor that moves around the player and emits noises near him.

11 hours ago, RDETalus said:

Using Dehacked, it's possible to have decorative objects (like a hanged man) emit sounds on a continuous loop. That's what I am doing to have my torches create fire crackling sounds when you are close to them. This method is compatible with the Boom source port, so it is also possible with GZDoom.

If you're targetting the GZDoom port, I'm sure there are ways with the UMDF format and zscript to create random demon sounds around the player, but I have never used UMDF format so I don't know about that. Probably something involving an invisible actor that moves around the player and emits noises near him.

Potentially if you replace an SS soldier or another enemy your not gonna use you could make it so that they cant move, cant attack but could still make noises when they notice you. Im no DeHacked guru so I dont know if that would work properly but its possible I think

11 minutes ago, nue said:

Potentially if you replace an SS soldier or another enemy your not gonna use you could make it so that they cant move, cant attack but could still make noises when they notice you. Im no DeHacked guru so I dont know if that would work properly but its possible I think

That's definitely possible, with dehacked you can give them the NOSECTOR and NOBLOCKMAP flags which makes them both invisible and untouchable. If they see you, they will still make a noise. You can then delete their attack ability so they aren't making a bunch of attack noises.

2 minutes ago, RDETalus said:

That's definitely possible, with dehacked you can give them the NOSECTOR and NOBLOCKMAP flags which makes them both invisible and untouchable. If they see you, they will still make a noise. You can then delete their attack ability so they aren't making a bunch of attack noises.

That very well might be it, Ravage made a DeHacked turret in his Mapgame episode so you might be able to copy the stationary aspect of the turret

If you have room between playable space, you could simply put monsters inside small sectors in the walls. At some point earlier, have a shootable switch the player must attack to proceed through the map. Using joined sectors, you can use that to alert the trapped monsters. Later on, you could possible have a way to teleport the monsters out, or if you don't want that, you could crush them to death with a crusher.

If you want the monsters to also have a wake-up sound, a similar ways to do this is to have a false wall that the monster can see you through, and a teleport (silent) line a little bit in front of the monster so that they'll make their alert sound, start to move, then teleport away. There is a chance that they'll get an attack off first, but that could actually help the horror element because the player will take damage from something they can't see.