Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

Weird Items in Doom.

have any of you found weird items in levels by opening the map file?

asking cuz I've found two so out of bounds ones so far,
one in Map11 of Doom II that's set to multiplayer only, and 
a stimpack in Doom II In Spain Only's Map31 that is set to ambush players.
https://imgur.com/a/DjnVIg8

Edited by forgettablepyromaniac

Items setting to ambush players probably are just from keeping the same setting when creating new things. Because it doesn't really matter how that was flagged, so there could be some left like that.

My maps are generally full of items and decorations set to ambush, the editor just saves whatever flags you enabled from the last Thing you placed (in that case, a monster). 

What’s traumatizing is when you flag an item as a secret in UDMF, forget this, proceed to place a levels worth of monsters, items, and decorations, and suddenly realize that your map has 400 secrets :P

In E3M2: Slough of Despair there is a severed leg floating in the sky. It's kind of spooky, I'm always expecting it to fly down and kick me.

doom 1's maps is filled with a ton of hanging leg decorations with no skill settings, i have no idea why it's always hanging legs specifically but it is

3 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Items setting to ambush players probably are just from keeping the same setting when creating new things. Because it doesn't really matter how that was flagged, so there could be some left like that.

Yep, I do it myself all the time.

2 hours ago, DaAndroid614 said:

doom 1's maps is filled with a ton of hanging leg decorations with no skill settings, i have no idea why it's always hanging legs specifically but it is

https://imgur.com/a/cWp40zS out of curiousity, I looked, and it's real, huh.

Also the link has an interesting texture thing I saw. Not necessarily an item, but still thought it was interesting none-the-less.

You'll find lots of ammo, weapons, health, and armor that are set to ambush if you look hard enough, lol.  I am guilty of doing this myself on occasion, but it doesn't hurt anything in the gameplay as far as I know.

actually, now that i remember, a while ago i got bored and actually wrote a text file containing everything that popped up as "issues" in doom builder besides misaligned textures and hidden textures since they're everywhere, so here's all of the random items that don't show up in doom:
e1m4 - a few shells that don't spawn
e1m7 - 4 barrels, 3 of which are stacked on top of another barrel that does
e2m2 - a barrel and 4 hanging legs
e2m4 - 2 hanging legs
e2m7 - 2 hanging legs
e2m9 - 1 cell pickup
e3m1 - 2 hanging legs
e3m2 - 2 hanging legs and a pile of gibs
e3m3 - 2 cell pickups, 1 of which is out of bounds
e3m4 - 1 hanging leg
e3m5 - 6 hanging legs (???)
e3m6 - 5 floating skull rocks and a gray tree
e3m7 - 1 cell pickup and 1 shell pickup
e3m8 - 19 rockets (!!!)
e3m9 - 2 hanging legs
e4m3 - a plasma gun

36 minutes ago, DaAndroid614 said:

actually, now that i remember, a while ago i got bored and actually wrote a text file containing everything that popped up as "issues" in doom builder besides misaligned textures and hidden textures since they're everywhere, so here's all of the random items that don't show up in doom:
e1m4 - a few shells that don't spawn
e1m7 - 4 barrels, 3 of which are stacked on top of another barrel that does
e2m2 - a barrel and 4 hanging legs
e2m4 - 2 hanging legs
e2m7 - 2 hanging legs
e2m9 - 1 cell pickup
e3m1 - 2 hanging legs
e3m2 - 2 hanging legs and a pile of gibs
e3m3 - 2 cell pickups, 1 of which is out of bounds
e3m4 - 1 hanging leg
e3m5 - 6 hanging legs (???)
e3m6 - 5 floating skull rocks and a gray tree
e3m7 - 1 cell pickup and 1 shell pickup
e3m8 - 19 rockets (!!!)
e3m9 - 2 hanging legs
e4m3 - a plasma gun

that's actually hella interesting. curious as to why there are a bunch of these. Maybe too many placed, got lazy and didn't want to delete the thing so just removed all difficulties perhaps?

If you play E2M6 on UV, you'll find a few demons stuck in each other, because the designer accidentally put two demons on the same spots. I think one Doom II map has the same problem with spectres (don't remember the map) and lost souls (map 05).

On 6/12/2021 at 2:03 AM, forgettablepyromaniac said:

that's actually hella interesting. curious as to why there are a bunch of these. Maybe too many placed, got lazy and didn't want to delete the thing so just removed all difficulties perhaps?

In every Doom map editor I have ever seen, it is far quicker to click on something and press delete than to edit it and change the skill settings.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:03 PM, forgettablepyromaniac said:

I think the designer simply forgot to check the skill boxes and they ended up not appearing on any skill levels. My guess is that in the original Doom editor when you create a thing, it has no skill settings by default and you need to manually set them every time, but I don't really know.