Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

Is it possible to have enemies move while firing using a .bex?

Question

Title, but allow me to go a bit further.

So I've been messing around with the code a bit in my .bex to change the Wolfenstein SS to something a bit different, a variant of the chaingunner that is weaker but can move a bit while shooting. Not necessarily strafing (cuz yea i know how doom movement with monsters works), but a bit of movement can throw off a player's aim. Is this a possiblility or will I need to throw this idea in the bin?

8 answers to this question

Have you played Eviternity.wad? There is a custom Cacodemon monster that strafes immediately before it shoots at you, if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it's possible to introduce a state with a "rolling" animation.

1 hour ago, RDETalus said:

Have you played Eviternity.wad? There is a custom Cacodemon monster that strafes immediately before it shoots at you, if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it's possible to introduce a state with a "rolling" animation.

Possibly, yes. I'll need to take a look at the caco in slade though, as I've not played past the second map of eviternity cuz I've been busy with other things lol

I'll do that in the mornin, then :p

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

maybe the info in this old thread will be somewhat helpful:

Actually, this whole exchange seems pretty cool. I'll need to mess with some of this stuff and see if I can incorporate it with the janky code I got happening over here.

Also! I wanted to know if it's possible to add more frames in BEX cuz otherwise I'll only be able to use stuff like the lost soul corpse and even then that's pretty limiting." ^^> I know DEH and BEX are limiting but there should be a way, right? .<.

I looked at the Eviternity Cacodemon. Normally when monsters call for an attack, they do a "FACETARGET" then "ATTACK," very simple. When the Eviternity Cacodemon calls for an attack, it first runs through seven "CHASE" states in row (all with a duration 1), followed by "FACETARGET" then "ATTACK." These seven rapid "CHASE" states is what causes it to appear to strafe / move suddenly right before it attacks. Combined with a move speed of 16, it's strafing motion is very fast and surprising.

Not quite the same thing as shooting while moving, but it might be helpful anyways since it throws off the player's aim.

Sadly, the number of frames to work with are very limited. I think the only port (as of now) that supports adding lots of new frames in Deh/Bex is DSDA.Doom, but don’t quote me on that 

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Sadly, the number of frames to work with are very limited. I think the only port (as of now) that supports adding lots of new frames in Deh/Bex is DSDA.Doom, but don’t quote me on that 

Quoting you on that. :P

A lot of ports have DEHEXTRA by now, I believe it was actually invented for Doom Retro at first. Crispy Doom, Woof!, DelphiDoom, Graf's PrBoom fork, Eternity, and GZDoom all include it now, with Odamex on the way I think.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

i decided to use the pain elemental revive cuz... it doesn't really need that :p

It still revives fine just in case you squish a pain but because it's unintended and very uncommon i just overwrote the rest of the pain's revive with the rest of the DeHackEd shenanigans I needed, which wasn't a bunch but just enough to be what I needed.

4 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Quoting you on that. :P

A lot of ports have DEHEXTRA by now, I believe it was actually invented for Doom Retro at first. Crispy Doom, Woof!, DelphiDoom, Graf's PrBoom fork, Eternity, and GZDoom all include it now, with Odamex on the way I think.

First time i've heard of DEHEXTRA so ima look at that, won't probably use it but it'll probably be worth learning :P