Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
next-hack

Post Removed.

Could you please fix the link to the official GBA Doom port so that it goes to the good community wiki and not the bad cashgrab clone on "fandom"? All the other wiki links are already good.

Thank you for your suggestion @Gez, post updated.

Impossible, everyone knows vanilla Doom only has 32 light levels.

I don't get this, can you please elaborate @Dark Pulse ? EDIT: now I got it. I am a bit slow...

Edited by next-hack : understood the joke...

Bloody hell. A light build has a more powerful computer in it than the computer I played doom on back in the day :O That's mad.

31 minutes ago, Ichor said:

Rule 666: If it exists, you can play Doom on it. 

Except my PC I had when I first played Doom.... though saying that there's a project out there called fast doom designed to speed up doom on underspeced PCs so it probably does run it quite well now.

Im sure IKEA will want to add DOOM to all their 'trådløse' lamps :)

Fantastic write up, was great to see how you overcame the various limitations of the hardware (and a nice summary of the pregnancy test port).

Could you have also used USART1 to add more throughput when you didn't need it for upload/debug output?

11 minutes ago, zx64 said:

pregnancy test port

That one definitely made my day when I saw it. LMFAO!

But yes, @next-hack, excellent job continuing the tradition of porting DooM to - well - everything.

49 minutes ago, zx64 said:

Fantastic write up, was great to see how you overcame the various limitations of the hardware (and a nice summary of the pregnancy test port).

Could you have also used USART1 to add more throughput when you didn't need it for upload/debug output?

Thank you!

About additional USART, as far as I know, triple I/O SPI flash ICs do not exist (after all, it would be difficult to implement). But even if the MCU had 2 more USARTs, I could not implement a quad SPI: the embedded synchronization between CPU and peripheral clocks adds too many wait states... it was already difficult to read from 2 USART with the current frequencies, while keeping synchronization :/

15 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Damn, whatever this was sounds like it was cool

It was another perfectly fun "Can it run Doom?" scenario. Shame it's been deleted. OP even removed the article from their website. :^(

Edited by Biodegradable

the person who requested the removal is an asshole i bet.

its just a can it run doom

what the fucks wrong with it?

why this thing was removed????

if it was only a "Can it run doom" thread >:(

So much time is wasted by evil & stupid people...it is infuriating. It is against all principles of justice. It is hypocrisy at it`s cheapest. I had the same crap happened yesterday on Deviantart. A Sci-Fi group rejected one of my submissions supposedly because it was too bloody.

https://www.deviantart.com/naarok0fkor/art/Tyranid-fighter-screenshots1-881213787

They even confused a tyranid fighter`s limbs & weaponry for gruesome appendages. I know that Doom is supposed to be rated PG-13...but, in the end we are facing truly dishonest people that don`t have the courage to rise up in arms for real & kill us. The good thing for me on DA is that the rejecting party won`t last more than a week because they have been disrupting the creative flow on the web. Just hang in there, be careful & be conscious of justice & equity. After all, it took only a single blue cacodemon to have one of those complaining hypocrits thrown out of DA last year....

HEADA2A8.png

Dang, even the GitHub repository was deleted

https://github.com/next-hack/MG21DOOM

Also seeing the edited and unfortunately removed OP and Dark Pulses reply made me chuckle

wha.PNG.acab0b4412d4ea48410af7a1fd51fe98.PNG

32 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I dig that Caco's palette

Would make for a cool monster I'd imagine

Edited by Wavy

2 minutes ago, Redoom said:

Dang, wish it wasnt removed, what was the original post?

I think running doom on a lamp or something like that

Just now, URROVA said:

I think running doom on a lamp or something like that

close enough

A litigious threat it surely must be,

Playing Doom on a lamp violates copyright you see

Now we'll never experience the wonder, the splendor,

Of playing Doom on a lamp? A fridge? A blender?

16 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

A litigious threat it surely must be,

Playing Doom on a lamp violates copyright you see

Now we'll never experience the wonder, the splendor,

Of playing Doom on a lamp? A fridge? A blender?

This is fucking great my friend.

Those RGB LED lamps from Ikea actually contain a tiny processor and some minute amount of RAM so as to run the program that cycles the light. The OP was about dismantling one and then plug on a ROM with the Doom engine and data on it, as well as a screen and some rudimentary input device (just six buttons for the four directions, shoot, and use) so as to play Doom on it. It was based on the unofficial GBA port which helped with most of the optimizations to get as small a footprint as possible. Then there were some more optimizations to adapt specifically to the processor, because compared to a GBA there's actually even less RAM but there's a lot more processing power. So optimizations geared for faster performances (e.g. by caching precaculated values) were replaced by optimizations geared for smaller memory footprint (e.g. by recomputing values every time instead of caching them).

I suppose the take-down notice came from Ikea or perhaps the company that builds the lamps for them, presumably out of safety/liability concerns, i.e. "don't encourage people to tinker with our stuff or we'll hold you responsible for when a dumbass fries themself trying to do the same thing". No clue if that's really the case, it just seems the most likely to me, because I don't see who else could have a motive to send a take-down notice.