Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
haruko haruhara

Any fans of skulltag here?

Most people now days just plays gzdoom and boom maps but for people who don't know skulltag was all the rage back in 2004 at least I think skulltag came out at that point I could be wrong but any fans of the port?

And most people likely don't use it anymore because it's outdated but the mods are the most important part I can mention a few.

Extreme Invasion

Armageddon 2 

Alpha and Delta

Hell after dreams

Swan fox

Hierarchy of chaos 

Hell legacy

Zero invasion

Etc you get what I'm saying pretty much just because the port is not advanced Same with zandronum doesn't mean the mods are bad btw I don't want no non skulltag/zandronum players to comment on this thread I want skulltag/zandronum fans here.

If you are a fan of skulltag say your thoughts on this thread like what is your favorite mods or maps made for skulltag.

i missed the skull tag era but i played a lot of skull tag mods on zandronum

the port actually reminds me of doom legacy in a way that they are not very remenbered or played today but made a big splash in the past

Played for years and the only mod in the OP I've ever seen is Armageddon 2. Although I've barely logged in 5 times total in the past 5 years.

30 minutes ago, haruko haruhara said:

Most people now days just plays gzdoom and boom maps

skulltag was all the rage back in 2004

most people likely don't use it anymore because it's outdated

This pretty much^^^

Although for me, it's not the fact that Skulltag is outdated, it's the fact that most Skulltag content I've played felt unpolished and underdeveloped. It doesn't impress me in the same way that GzDoom/Boom/Vanilla maps do.

For example, I looked up "Hell After Dreams". To me, it just looks like a room full of respawning enemies from Blood. I'd rather just play Blood. Most Skulltag content I see is like this. Lack of depth/aesthetic/detail/interesting map design.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This pretty much^^^

Although for me, it's not the fact that Skulltag is outdated, it's the fact that most Skulltag content I've played felt unpolished and underdeveloped.

Well thats just your opinion I can tell you for sure that most mods for the port are well made but some of them like extreme Invasion were never finished it was left unfinished in v6 state for years

But mods like alpha and Delta Armageddon 2 and zero Invasion are finished well.

5 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This pretty much^^^

Although for me, it's not the fact that Skulltag is outdated, it's the fact that most Skulltag content I've played felt unpolished and underdeveloped. It doesn't impress me in the same way that GzDoom/Boom/Vanilla maps do.

many of them fell ammaturish? not unpolished but feels like it was made by teenagers and young adults if that makes sense

i dunno thats a thing that i like about them

8 minutes ago, haruko haruhara said:

Well thats just your opinion I can tell you for sure that most mods for the port are well made but some of them like extreme Invasion were never finished it was left unfinished in v6 state for years

But mods like alpha and Delta Armageddon 2 and zero Invasion are finished well.

The point of having a discussion is so other people can share their opinions. You don't need to defend something you like just because someone else doesn't like it.

I googled "Delta Armageddon 2" and couldn't find anything.

@omalefico32x That is a PERFECT way to describe my experience. Most of it feels like stuff made by teenagers who just wanted to mess around and make random stuff. Kind of like playing games on Newgrounds or something. It just doesn't work for me.

It seems like Skulltag never had a "killer app" to make it worth downloading for a lot of people. Great potential, but it seems like it was never fully taken advantage of.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

11 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

For example, I looked up "Hell After Dreams". To me, it just looks like a room full of respawning enemies from Blood. I'd rather just play Blood. Most Skulltag content I see is like this. Lack of depth/aesthetic/detail/interesting map design. 

are you talking about hell after dreams 3 thats for gzdoom look at the first 2 btw had3 was never finished or never will be released

or you are talking about that hell after dreams reloaded that somebody made

26 minutes ago, haruko haruhara said:

Etc you get what I'm saying pretty much just because the port is not advanced Same with zandronum doesn't mean the mods are bad )

Zandronum definitely qualifies as an advanced port, it's only behind GZDoom and K8Vavoom in terms of scriptability and it's first place by far for the multiplayer ports.

Anyways, I have a soft spot for Tribute.wad since I played it way back when I was like 12 playing Skulltag. I hadn't even bought Doom yet, I was using Freedoom 0.7 lmao. And All Out War 2 is still my shit, when it gets played.

6 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The point of having a discussion is so other people can share their opinions. You don't need to defend something you like just because someone else doesn't like it.

I googled "Delta Armageddon 2" and couldn't find anything.

@omalefico32x That is a PERFECT way to describe my experience. Most of it feels like stuff made by teenagers who just wanted to mess around and make random stuff. Kind of like playing games on Newgrounds or something. It just doesn't work for me.

well i grow up playing games on newgrounds (well not newgrounds but brazilian sites that hosted these games) so i really like that ammaturish feel

10 minutes ago, haruko haruhara said:

are you talking about hell after dreams 3 thats for gzdoom look at the first 2 btw had3 was never finished or never will be released

or you are talking about that hell after dreams reloaded that somebody made

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. Both videos show a mishmash of sprites/weapons/enemies without much cohesiveness. The map design doesn't look like anything special either. It looks like a "my first wad map" with random r667 weapons and enemies.

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. Both videos show a mishmash of sprites/weapons/enemies without much cohesiveness. The map design doesn't look like anything special either.

well again thats just your opinion i love hell after dreams 1 an 2 best wads i played that are a little bit more basic

10 minutes ago, haruko haruhara said:

well again thats just your opinion i love hell after dreams 1 an 2 best wads i played that are a little bit more basic

If you don't want to hear differing opinions on Skulltag, why didn't you just create a thread titled "What are some good Skulltag mods"? 

9 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

It looks like a "my first wad map" with random r667 weapons and enemies.

these weapons are not from r667 idk why people always have to criticize wads like these this way most then likely they were made by people of the zdoom forums and some misc weapons some were made by das lawrence aka lolo_is_cool or wildweasel since i found out one weapon came from one of his weapon packs but they were either coded by lolo_is_cool or somebody

If you don't want to hear differing opinions on Skulltag, why didn't you just create a thread titled "What are some good Skulltag mods"? 

because i have almost all of them already just missing a few but hopefully will find them.

edit : not trying to sound like a kid who hates peoples opinions but if im being stupid let me know!

This thread makes no sense at this point and you are being way too defensive about it.

8 minutes ago, haruko haruhara said:

because i have almost all of them already just missing a few but hopefully will find them.

You said in your OP " I don't want no non skulltag/zandronum players to comment on this thread" (double negative btw) and also asked people what their favorite mods are.

Then I asked you why you made this thread instead of just asking people what their favorite mods are. Your reply was that you already have almost all of them anyway.

So what exactly is the point here? Comment if you like Skulltag? That doesn't facilitate an intelligent conversation about anything. 

This thread makes no sense at this point and you are being way too defensive about it.

You said in your OP " I don't want no non skulltag/zandronum players to comment on this thread" and also asked people what their favorite mods are.

Then I asked you why you made this thread instead of just asking people what their favorite mods are. Your reply was that you already have almost all of them anyway.

So what exactly is the point here? Comment if you like Skulltag? That doesn't facilitate an intelligent conversation about anything. 

here is the point i just want to hang out with you guys more at doomworld but about all of my threads never get comments so if im being annoying to you why i don't understand i don't want to sound like some idiot here ok.

20 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. Both videos show a mishmash of sprites/weapons/enemies without much cohesiveness. The map design doesn't look like anything special either. It looks like a "my first wad map" with random r667 weapons and enemies.

Exactly. Both these videos show mods that are very amateurish in terms of cohesiveness. Just a lot of random assets (from different games) mixed together.

Nothing wrong with liking them of course.

5 minutes ago, haruko haruhara said:

here is the point i just want to hang out with you guys more at doomworld but about all of my threads never get comments so if im being annoying to you why i don't understand i don't want to sound like some idiot here ok.

You aren't being annoying and we want to hang out with you too. But there's no reason to defend Skulltag. I wasn't making fun of the people who made the maps you posted. I just stated that they look really low quality. It doesn't matter if the weapons came from r667 or not, I just said that's what it looks like. The sprites themselves are okay, but there is no overall aesthetic or art design going on. Like @ReaperAA said, the random use of assets from other games gives the mods a very amateur look and feel. The map design appears to be lacking as well, and I spotted various textures that were not aligned properly. 

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

You aren't being annoying and we want to hang out with you too. But there's no reason to defend Skulltag. I wasn't making fun of the people who made the maps you posted. I just stated that they look really low quality. It doesn't matter if the weapons came from r667 or not, I just said that's what it looks like.

thanks for being honest :) glad to know.

Used to play loads of Armageddon Invasion, now its Complex Invasion on Zandronum. Can be a total mess at times  but it's fun.

I never played skulltag multiplayer back in the day but i have played a lot of skulltag wads, and the aesthetic of skulltag and early zdoom wads is really nostalgic for me. Seeing stuff thats kind of advanced but still ameteurish reminds me a lot of when i first started mapping and id download custom monsters and stick them in doom builder, thinking i was gonna make the best mod ever. Not to say that everything made for skulltag was ameteur but it reminds me of what i used to make when i was a kid