Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLOTH MARINE (CB)

Who Is Your Favorite Mapper?

I am my own favorite mapper, my one and only flaw is never having the motivation to finish maps, in my head millions of people play my maps, if i could just finish a single map you would all know my power 👁

But for real dragonfly might be my current favorite

I'd suggest adding some reasoning as to why a given mapper is your favourite. Nice to know why exactly someone's style works for you, and provides more to read than merely "x is my favourite, that is all" :P

This topic popped up a few months ago, my answers can be found there.

Doomkid, Skillsaw, Big ol Billy, SuperCupcakeTactics^^^, Skillsaw, Dragonfly, Joe-Ilya, Jazzmaster9, Doctor Sleep, etc.

EDIT

Forgot ETERNAL

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

-Chris Hansen

-Doomkid

-Paul Corfiatis

-valkiriforce

-Moustachio

-Eternal

-Jimmy

-esselfortium

-The Casali brothers

And many others that I don't remember.

Edited by Valboom

-Skillsaw- The combat encounters in their maps and how they uses custom monsters to create unique scenarios is masterful. 

-Jimmy- Jimmy uses mostly vanilla textures to create some really unique environments that stand out nicely and are mixed with fun combat.

-Doomkid- His maps seem to take a more modern approach to the mapping styles and mannerisms of the 90's. This mixes together so well and his maps are so much fun to play through.

- Dragonfly- Take one look at eviternity, not just the visual aspects, but the gameplay. The amount of love and care put into it is evident from the first map alone.

- The Casali brothers- their maps feel like a sadistic game of chess, where you're constantly fighting for survival in a variety of environments. Plus they were both(?) level designers for Half Life 2. So consider this anecdote biased.

It is physically impossible for me to pick just one of these four. They're all my favourite, for different reasons

Jim Flynn and Sverre Kvernmo (Soundblock) were always my favourite mappers. I wish Jim got a community tribute like Ty and Dr Sleep did, rip. 

@NaturalTvventy is probably my new favourite current mapper, really enjoyed NEIS and END1 and 2. Anything he and Soundblock make will be things I'll probably instantly return to Doom for. 

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

I wish Jim got a community tribute like Ty and Dr Sleep did, rip. 

Be the change you want to see in the world!

Darkwave0000 really needs some more love. Remarkable mapper.

There's honestly far too many. I made a list in the thread that AD linked, but it's nowhere near comprehensive. I will say that I'm flattered to see my name mentioned a few times, glad there's still a market for slightly schlocky "B-wads"/90s wads/Vanilla stuff in an era of beautiful mapping and magnum opuses abound!

I'm fairly new to community-made doom stuff, but I have to say Doomkid's maps are consistently the ones that work for me. To me, Doom should be "slightly schlocky" and feel like it's from the 90s. I've also really enjoyed everything I've played from Xaser, Esselfortium, and Jimmy Paddock.

10 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

Be the change you want to see in the world!

I'd sign up for a Jim Flynn community project.

Favorite level designers, hmm that's difficult. 

If I had to pick one all around Erik Alm would probably be my choice. Scythe 1 and 2 are just some of my all time favorites. Doomkid is totally a close second, his goofy very 90s wads are so much fun and always very creative. 

I've really only recently been playing community content.

Before I get to my favorite community mappers I must say Tom Hall and Sandy Peterson are awesome. Their maps generally have great open layouts and plenty of memorable combat imo. Casali Brothers are like my all time favorite mapping duo as well.

Anyway, honorable mentions go to:

Jim Flynn for excellent atmosphere and great use of vanilla textures. Not all of his maps are A+ but they're always interesting.

B.P.R.D. for maps like Grove and the Mucus Flow and Nuts 3. Words fail honestly.

Ty Halderman for some of the best Team TNT maps imo, just all around fun stuff.

Tom Mustaine, same as Ty.

4 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I'd sign up for a Jim Flynn community project.

As long as Drake O'Brien was given honorable mention and had a few honorary maps in the set also. :D

And on that note, another addition to my favorite mappers list: dRAKE o'bRIEN.

Addendum 2: Also Tango is an amazing mapper. I was reminded of his maps by the fact that he liked one of my earlier posts on this thread. Man so many good mappers, it is hard to keep track.

Addendum 3: Also the dude who did ultimate simplicity. Don't remember his name.

Addendum 4: Also Alexander someone or other, aka Eternal.

Addendum 5: Creaphis made a couple of great maps, including one cacoward winner as I recall.

Also Espi. May he rest in peace.

All forgotten mappers which helped filling the idgames archive with their one-map wad.

I would say every mapper who contributed to the either the "1000 line def community project 2" and "Mapwich 2" among the cream of the crop in terms of modern mappers.

In terms of gameplay and flow, AD_79. He made 50 monsters which is one of the best megawads I've played in years. Lowgcifer, Valkiriforce, Alfonzo, 40oz, Dragonfly, Tarnsman, and Jimmy also make levels with great flow.

In terms of pure spectacle, Antares031. They are mapper who make gorgeous worlds and then there's Antares031. He made "Purgatorial Technologies" which is the most amazing infested techbase I've ever seen in ANY media. The guy's in an entire league of his own. After playing "Lost Civilization" Jaska's a very close second.

Gusta's name doesn't pop up often enough in this kinda thread, nor does Tourniquet's! i have a billion favourites for various moods

Self-death because I can all too heavily relate to worrying about your maps being bad all the time.

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I will say that I'm flattered to see my name mentioned a few times

well of course you'd be mentioned , you're a great mapper, and I see you do things with dehacked that seem impossible

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

glad there's still a market for slightly schlocky "B-wads"/90s wads/Vanilla stuff in an era of beautiful mapping and magnum opuses abound!

there will always be a market for them because they pretty cool and can be nostalgic to people who played doom around that time  

Everyone's a better mapper than me by default since I've never made a map, haha. No, really, my respect to anyone who puts their all into their works of architecture. That said, I'd say my top five are Eternal, Jimmy, Xaser, Dragonfly, and of course, Skillsaw. I still feel like I need to play more works by these creators, though... except Skillsaw, I don't know what else of his I can absorb!

17 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I will say that I'm flattered to see my name mentioned a few times, glad there's still a market for slightly schlocky "B-wads"/90s wads/Vanilla stuff in an era of beautiful mapping and magnum opuses abound!

No need to be humble Doomkid, your maps/wads are very enjoyable. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

In my view there's always room for 90s/vanilla stuff. True the maps and projects popping up these days are a sight to behold, but that will never stop me from playing maps and wads that aim for that old school feel. I doubt I'm the only one who sometimes likes to just go back to basics for some pure mindless fun. I love both modern maps and old school maps.

I don't see why we have to pick one or the other. They all have their place.

Besides, everyone needs a little Rowdy Rudy II and Ray Mohawk in their lives.

@skillsaw: He just has this flow that is accessible and challenging - a momentum that feels uniquely his own. His architecture is always beautiful to look at, but detail never gets in the road of gameplay.

@antares031It's a good sign when you see screenshots of a map and immediately know who made them. Anteres just has his own unique style that no one else even comes close to approaching. While I love his maps, what I super love is how he designs them around his custom weapon/monster selections. His sets always have the most satisfying weapons around - the double Uzis in struggle made me see Jesus - and they definitely stick the experience firmly in your mind.

@TangoParadise is one of the best things I've ever played, and probably the set I've played through most at this point. The music selections, aesthetics, and almost Sega Genesis feeling worlds make it stand out, but then you factor in the glorious Supercharge mod that still hasn't been utilized better. His other sets are good too, but Paradise has me frothing at the mouth to see what comes out next.

@cannonballHis take on Guerilla tactics are fun - the way he sets up maps to have you duck and weave, bouncing between multiple encounters at once so as to not get overwhelmed is masterful. I'm not usually a fan of the overdone Doom 1 aesthetics, but Cannonball makes me fall in love with them every single time.

@A2RobHis work in Nova 3 had me intrigued, but Running Late 2 cemented it. He just absolutely nails Vanguard era Skillsaw but with his own style. He does Slaughter-Lite right, and everything he touches just feels like he took so much joy in creating it. It's goddamn contagious.

@RibbiksRibbiks' stuff is still too hard for me for the most part, but I keep trying because it's just all so damn good. After Crumpets was a more accessible entry point into his catalogue of cruelty, I've been banging my head against everything else he's made, hoping one day I'll be good enough to finish his harder works. Even at their most soul crushing, I've never ceased to be amazed at the skill on display in both aesthetics and tightly designed encounters. 

@DragonflyHis maps are gorgeous and generally quite fun to play. He really nails a sense of place and is great at both the faster paced massacres and more laid back adventure style maps. Eviternity is the best Scythe, and nothing will change my mind on that. Like Scythe, he has an amazing grasp on skill progression, starting off easy and then kicking you square in the crotch repeatedly by the end. It makes it the perfect set for any newcomer, and I'm definitely glad it was my first megawad.

There are more who deserve a write up, but my brain is turning to mush from writing too much in the morning, so I'll just say: Khorus, Crunchynut44, Erik Alm, Needhealth, Gaspe, AD79, Esselforium, Pavera, and Tarnsman also deserve a shoutout.